tigger398

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

I know that your supposed to read the bible daily, but it feels like a chore to me.

tigger,

You can transform this chore into an absorbing and fulfilling activity.  Before opening your Bible ask yourself "What does God want me to learn today and apply to myself?".  Then don't stop with simply reading. Study the portion you have read to draw out everything you can. If you do not have Bible study tools, acquire them and use them. You will be surprised how time will fly when you start digging within the goldmine and pulling out some nuggets.

It's sad to think some Christians see Bible reading as a chore.

Let me tell you when you read in Numbers dealing with the cenuses that was being taken and reading through all the begats it is really hard to get through all of that as it is really long sometimes you just have to push on through and fight it.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,056
  • Content Per Day:  15.02

I know that your supposed to read the bible daily, but it feels like a chore to me.

tigger,

You can transform this chore into an absorbing and fulfilling activity.  Before opening your Bible ask yourself "What does God want me to learn today and apply to myself?".  Then don't stop with simply reading. Study the portion you have read to draw out everything you can. If you do not have Bible study tools, acquire them and use them. You will be surprised how time will fly when you start digging within the goldmine and pulling out some nuggets.

Let me tell you when you read in Numbers dealing with the cenuses that was being taken and reading through all the begats it is really hard to get through all of that as it is really long sometimes you just have to push on through and fight it.

I agree that Numbers is an especially challenging book to get excited about reading. 

One method I use for books after Joshua is a by using a Thompson Chain Reference Bible.  The TCRB has dates in the side notes and I try to coordinate my reading in Kings, Chronicles and the major and minor prophets with what is going on in Israel and Judah.  A chronological bible does the same thing.  But I agree with you, you really have to push thru Numbers, although there is a few nuggets that should not be passed over.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  565
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

:)

Actually, it doesn't feel like a chore to me..

• Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,115
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

tigger,

lets see if this still works

http://sam.evans.org/historylog.xls

You can have fun with those begats in Genesis...    and it can uncover some interesting things

Edited by other one

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

One way to keep your interest high is to list every name found in a census or a genealogy and then look up the meaning of each name and its spiritual significance.  Every Hebrew name has spiritual significance in connection with their lives.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

I personally just like to read it straight through from Gen.-Rev. you are right about the hidden nuggets you can find in all the begats and in the book of Numbers.  Not against study aids or any thing like that I just like following the scarlet thread from the foundation of the world and seeing the plan of God unfold it's amazing.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.69
  • Days Won:  37

How much do you try to read each day?

• 2 years later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

On 9/30/2015 at 9:12 AM, tigger398 said:

I know this is an old thread, but I just ran across it, and it seemed worth commenting on.

I suppose if you don't like something, doing it is a chore. If I did not like to eat, then eating would be a drag. That does not mean it is hard, is would just be something I did not want to do. If I enjoy eating, no one has to twist my arm.

Reading the Bible, should not be laborious. If you read the Bible 20 minutes a day, even 15, 10, if you read fairly fast, you will read the Bible in a year. Most people watch more TV commercials that that every day, I imagine, most of which are not that entertaining, especially after one has already seen them.

Personally, I do not like to read, not the Bible, not fiction, not instruction manuals, not ingredients on a package of food. I think all reading feels like a chore.

Washing the dishes, is a chore. Doing the laundry is a chore. The one thing these chores have in common, is that I benefit from doing them.

The Bible is not different in these respects. On the other hand, if I get a letter, or an email from a friend, I am happy to read what they have to say to me. Similarly, there is One who loves me more, that all my friends combined, and He was willing, and did, die for me. Seems only fair, and natural, that I would want to hear from Him, and spend at least a little time, listening to what He has to say to me. Just like these other "chores", this also benefits me.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

One of my observations over the years of the most spiritual vibrant Christians I've known is that they figured out how things such as prayer, bible reading, meditation, fellowship, etc. best work for them.  The biggest thing is that I saw no real patterns except that they figured out what naturally fit into their lives and their temperaments and worked for them.   God made us all different and often what works for one Christian does not work well for another.  I think most of us go through stages where we try to copy what works for someone else and then keep pushing at it until we burn out or give up on it.  It took me many years to figure out  I needed to figure out what worked in my life.

When trying to figure out what method of Bible reading is sustainable and something that could naturally fit and flow in one's life, I think it's worth looking at other things in our life to figure out what has worked in the past with other things.  What classes or courses were our best or worst in school?  What things were we most successful at learning to do in our lives and which not?  Do we do best with routine or variety?  What times of the day are we most relaxed?  Often those patterns we notice that did or didn't work in the past reflect how God wired us to be.

I finally figured out that my life runs in seasons where I need to focus intense effort on some particular spiritual thing for a length of time (often 4 to 8 months or so).  I grow a lot from that and then it starts to dry up.  I then need to move to the next place God is leading me.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/30/2015 at 12:12 PM, tigger398 said:

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but I'll offer you a couple of things that matter to me and that I've learned from reading it:

1. Get one in the language you use in day to day communication. If you are an english speaker, try NIV or some other fairly modern translation. For starters, you won't be using half your brain trying to translate it into your own vernacular. 

2. The more you read it, the more interesting it becomes. So don't give up.

And I suppose this could be a third one: There are LOTS of studies on the internet these days regarding the bible. Try searching one out for the chapter or story you are reading, after you read it. And then read it again. It brings great insight and makes it more interesting.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1