• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

6 minutes ago, other one said:

I think you are assuming that everyone here is a nice or even a decent person.....     I'm not sure that is the case... 

No, actually I am not delusional. I realize that some here are not Christian, not clamming to be, don't even care to be. Others think they are Christian, but are not. Not to get off on a theological of who is, who is not, and who can even know, my comment is directed and those who claim Jesus is their Lord, and seek to be like Him and to obey Him in all things.

I do not know what percentage of members that represents. However, if even half of them would follow that model, I think there would be a noticeable improvement, few threads would get close, and so some degree, His church would make a better impression.

By the way, I am not immune to the issue. I have lost a lot of my work as well, when threads are closed, I am not isolated from the effects and frustrations.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

7 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

No, actually I am not delusional. I realize that some here are not Christian, not clamming to be, don't even care to be. Others think they are Christian, but are not. Not to get off on a theological of who is, who is not, and who can even know, my comment is directed and those who claim Jesus is their Lord, and seek to be like Him and to obey Him in all things.

I do not know what percentage of members that represents. However, if even half of them would follow that model, I think there would be a noticeable improvement, few threads would get close, and so some degree, His church would make a better impression.

By the way, I am not immune to the issue. I have lost a lot of my work as well, when threads are closed, I am not isolated from the effects and frustrations.

Actually just an FYI...…  I don't mind closed threads.....    they are available for new people and the drifters that google into the site....   Actually most of my posts are for those people anyway.  It's the deleted ones that are a frustration that no one can see.   

Edited by other one

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

15 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

One of the things I realize that I probably should have been reporting are potentially libelous things.   I believe we are responsible for the accuracy of what we say about others (whether on this site or elsewhere).  If we pass on information that is incorrect and damaging to someone's reputation, we are potentially going into areas of legal concern as well as damaging our reputation and credibility.   

What guidance do you have to give on such matters?  In particular, posts which link to articles which are potentially libelous or pass on information from such articles as factual?

Thanks. 

That is a tough one Gandalf. I like to say, in jest, that it must be true, I read in on the internet. Anyone can post most anything on the internet, it is an equal opportunity for those interested in truth, and pathological liars alike. Newspapers, Newscasts, Commentators, all can lie, misrepresent facts, and selectively omit fact to create false impressions. Even entertainment in TV series, Movies, late night comedians, songs, etc., etc., can carry messages on communicate and influence viewpoints.

Many people assume things are true, and perhaps all people, in varying degrees, gravitate toward people and tend to believe people, who have views similar to their own. If the go on YouTube for example, they will tend to search for people who already agree with them, of if they go to those who do not, then it is often to troll the comments section, or to learn what the "enemy" is up to, so they can devise a rebuttal in case they need it.

People do this for politics, theology, or even looking to prove the perpetual motion machines exist, they are  just suppressed by capitalists and governments. 

People often just repeat what the believe, without doing fact checking, or even investigating further. I don't blame them a lot, as there are so many "facts" out their to choose from, it is difficult to discern what is true.

The legal aspects like libel and slander, are an issue, but they have very specific definitions which vary from place to place. I prefer to toss in into the broader category of: "Is it right or wrong in the eyes of God?"

I suggest there, that one do their best, and consider when righting here, is what we are doing harmful, justifiable, gossip? All we can do, is our best, try to be educated, discerning, make some effort before repeating a thing. We need to me confident that we have done well, and if we lack that conviction, we should keep our mouths closed, and at the very least, recognize that we might be wrong, and say so.

Sorry though, I have no real practical advice for anyone on this matter.

Although on a somewhat different topic, I posted on being discerning here once:

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

2 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Yes, and perhaps, stop and imagine, that Jesus is alongside, ask Him to proof-read, offer suggestions, and get His approval before hitting the submit button.

If you hit the submit button, and then the software popped up and asked: "Are you sure you want to send this, did you check you pride, was you love on display, would Jesus approve?" Would be interesting to know, if people might then hesitate to send it un-redacted.

Well said, and I would even expand on your idea. Would you say those words to Jesus or submit that post to the Holy Trinity?

Thanks for this input Omegaman. 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

Am I helping in some way with what I post? Or am I just posting this to make someone else look foolish?  I ask myself that before I make a post. I am not perfect. I need to ask myself these questions for nearly every post. Sometimes I have to go back and delete replies I made because I am not perfect. I think that maybe accepting that other people are not perfect as well is something we should remember. :)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  952
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,573
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Gee, All this time I have thought we have each just been fellowshipping one with another brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus encouraging each other and sharing the gospel of Jesus with those that do not yet understand it and have not yet been called to turning about to jesus.

People actually don't like each other? All that are saved by God are perfect in the eyes of God, but some are not yet sufficiently sanctified by God to be  worthy of liking? Wow, tough crowd eh?

There's a tougher than even God's standard of perfection, which is only satisfied via the shed blood of Jesus? The blood of Christ Jesus is fully acceptable covering and atonement for sin, and  yet not good enough  when it come to one another,- Really? Can't be so.

For all Christians quickly learn that one may disagree without being disagreeable, and that  to love an enemy is the strong weapon in the arsenal of the word of God:

“If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them.  And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.  And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount.  But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.  Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful."

Edited by Neighbor
spelling error
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33

On other sites I don't notice threads being deleted. Rather, I notice them being locked or closed for future posts. 

And once you create a thread, you may not delete the thread. You may only delete posts, and all posts, including the OP can be edited. 

I really don't get the cultural need for deleting a thread. A closed thread reveals much about those posting within it. And I believe they are things that need to be revealed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,428
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

Listening to a radio program on my way to work about disciplining kids and the tough love method that has to be admitted and the lady gave an example.  Here goes.  A police officer stopping someone for an infraction or a violation of some law usually  uses two choices. 1. Give a ticket with a very brief outline of the incident or 2. Give a lecture [warning]to the person about the incident and let them go without penalty in the hope that they would not repeat it.  Well, lets just say, some people just gets ticket here and its the human condition that has to be trained and reminded as long as we get to the other side.     I forgot to mention, that she said he can't give both, it has to be either one or the other.

The way I view deleted thread is like reading a book. When one chapter is done, then time to move on.

Edited by warrior12

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33

1 minute ago, Badjao33 said:

This is exactly why I have never reported a post and never will. 

Same here. 

The apostle Paul never called back any letters that I'm aware of. I've been posting on the internet since 1995 when I used a mainframe browser called Chameleon. I look at every post as though the one person in the world that would want to do me the most harm will read it. 

And post accordingly.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93

For the record. I did not ask that my thread about "Dearborn" be deleted. I did ask that it be lock as it has it had gone so far off topic I could no longer follow it. So I thought it best to ask for it to be lock. But then it just got deleted instead. 

I don't know why I am telling you all this. It is just something that has been on my mind.  

• Thumbs Up 1