• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

It was recently “explained” to me that the history detailed in the Old Testament of the Bible consists of stories handed down from one person to the next, and that no doubt the stories became corrupted as they were passed a long, so that we don’t know if the Bible’s testimony is accurate or not.

Of course, using this logic, we can’t trust a single word that’s in the Bible.

But we know that isn’t true. The Lord is no idiot. He made sure the testimony presented by the Bible was absolutely truthful. If you don’t have faith in that, I think you are going to have a lot of trouble finding your way.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,306
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

8 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

t was recently “explained” to me that the history detailed in the Old Testament of the Bible consists of stories handed down from one person to the next, and that no doubt the stories became corrupted

How easily our own bias affects everything we see and hear.

Oral societies prize stories and repeat them as part of a community.

Imagine the chosen story-teller in the midest of his/her story making a mistake. It would be heard and commented on, to the shame and loss of status of the story-teller.

This is a self correcting mechanism that ensures stories are told and retold accuractely.

Then there is the evidence that the bible is historically accurate, everything from the use of egyption words etc in the mosacic liturature to the abscence of greek words and pharases in the so called greek influenced period of the OT.

If you want information get the book:- 'Nothing but the truth by B.H. Edwards'

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  777
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,955
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Bible is true. We have faith.

Edited by R. Hartono
  • Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,029
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,376
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

I once heard a "pastor" say a Bible verse was wrong in his sermon.   When I questioned him about saying that, he said even worse to me (I don't want to say what he said).  I always loved worshipping at that church but didn't go back.   Over several years, maybe three times I went back to see if he had changed....but sorry to say, he had not.   A doctorate degree doesn't make a pastor.

Now a previous, good pastor at the same church told how he was converted in a class while studying for his doctorate!   He said the professor said something about then the bombs would fall....all of a sudden, this pastor was converted right then!   This pastor told this story in a sermon.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,264
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Which one?    They all don't say the same thing.   And when we just make a blanket statement it can be difficult to convince those who are not presently believers to accept it as total 100% true in every detail.

Personally I'm not concerned about the pre written input of the Bible as much as I am the different translations and the amount of wording that has to be changed so it can be copywrited.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,723
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

God is sovereign.

The Bible Jesus read, all 24 scrolls of  the Tanakh, has been scribed for many centuries with extreme care.

Jesus read them while in the flesh  even as a child. He learned them, He studied them, He prayed over them, and He quoted them, treating them as literal truth. In answer to questions He referenced them. 

The Record of Jesus has been written, recorded with extreme care as well. 

The transliteration of original texts into many languages so that many may hear and read the word of God provides no reason to doubt the best efforts of men working diligently  to make accurately known the original texts. Instead God should be praised that the Holy Spirit has led so many to work so hard for so long to help share the word of God to the end that many may be found and presented as mature in the Lord.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,427
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

All one must do is to live It's precepts to find a literal Living Reality of Spirit through written Word... this the verifying truth even here in the lies.... it will deliver anyone to a place where the corporeal realities are 100% affirming of His Reality

Rom 10:17

17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
KJV

Heb 11:1-3

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

Rom 1:20

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
KJV

It is this simple... :) 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

6 hours ago, other one said:

Which one?    They all don't say the same thing.   And when we just make a blanket statement it can be difficult to convince those who are not presently believers to accept it as total 100% true in every detail.

Personally I'm not concerned about the pre written input of the Bible as much as I am the different translations and the amount of wording that has to be changed so it can be copywrited.

I don't worry about what I would call minor differences in translations. Our church (United Methodist) is undergoing a war and possible split (perhaps it has already happened) because some people believe the Lord didn't really say the things the Bible says he said. 

• Thumbs Up 1