• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

I may add to this thread with quotes from progressive leaders. This movement, which arose out of the emerging church, is a dangerous trend in the church.

The only thing i would disagree with in this statement is calling something such as this "church." It's a perversion of the faith parading as a church.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

A place to stay away from indeed.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

There is a movement called progressive Christianity. I feel it is a dangerous movement as it is not scriptural.

Some things that are involved in progressive Christianity include:

A lowered view of the bible. In that, the words of the bible are judged as true or not based on 21st century viewpoint. At times, personal feelings dictate what is true, not what scripture says. The bible is not a reliable source of truth, in the eyes of progressives. Im not going to link to it, but there is a large progressive church that states in its statement of beliefs that "we dont believe the bible is the inerrant or infallible word of God."

Core doctrines are reinterpreted. For example, the gospel message is not about the redemption of man from his sinful state through the sacrifice of Jesus but rather its about social justice. Social justice becomes the gospel. That same large progressive church I mentioned above states that they dont believe people of other faiths go to hell. They also state that Christianity is not the only truth.

Biblical terms are redefined. A good example of this is how love is defined in the bible versus how it is defined today. Putting the needs of others above yourself (bible) versus accepting everyone's beliefs no matter what they believe. That same church I mentioned above states that love thy neighbor means affirming gay lifestyle instead of condemning it.

I may add to this thread with quotes from progressive leaders. This movement, which arose out of the emerging church, is a dangerous trend in the church.

Thanks for your observations Ayin. I would only say that while in this generation we are witnessing a different lifestyle and a different cultural dynamic, the end result will be the same. To me, it does not matter the difference in behavior, only that I know the Gospel to them will result with the same end as the Gospel to those who received it 2000 years ago. Some will get saved with earrings in their ears, some on Death Row, some will be Muslims, etc. It does not matter ultimately---only that I give them the Good News. The numbers will be in God's hands.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.45
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Its sad, but nothing new. A study of the various (whole bunch) of the gnostic groups that sprang up starting at around 70 AD and for a couple hundred years would make most people cringe. Some real doozies had rather large followings.

Studying such is a great help in recognizing all kinds of heretical doctrines and their respective beginnings.

Edited by Alive
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.45
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

For those interested in such and much more of the history of the church. At a departure point in history; mainly the smaller groups of believers that desired to adhere to the NT Church traditions and carry the banner for the Lord, so to speak--all through history.

And an amazing story it is.

"Torch of the Testimony" John W. Kennedy

https://www.amazon.com/Torch-Testimony-John-W-Kennedy/dp/094023212X