• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  600
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,391
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

11 hours ago, SIC said:

'Jesus holds the narrow gate wide open'. Is this statement biblical?

I think one would have to define what they meant by wide open.   It is open for anyone who cares to go through it, but there are things one must live up to if one is to go through it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,179
  • Content Per Day:  9.51
  • Days Won:  149

I never looked at this like Jesus was holding anything open. I looked at it more like those doors- both the wide and the narrow are simply open. This is a play on words because the width of a door is immobile, yet what determines the door width in this example is the number passing through it. If we want to get hyper technical here we could say God foreknew how wide the 'door' needed to be because he  already determined the traffic passing through it.

The description you gave sounds like he is comparing the narrow door to a school teacher who is herding the kids off the playground after lunch and she's rushing them in because she doesn't intend to be there all day. There is the feeling of immediacy to the statement which could have been the speaker's intent. To make people realize the opportunity isn't going to last forever.

The story of the doors has only two choices, The wide door to destruction and the narrow door to salvation. The majority of persons will be going through the wide door. I would disagree there is limited time to pass through the narrow door because we all have 'enough' time to pass through that door. If we don't choose that door time will never be an argument.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,832
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, SIC said:

There is a difference between saying the door is open and the door is wide open. Don't you think?

Nope.

Whether door is 1 inch open or all the way open - it's OPEN!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.37
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Consider what Jesus Himself says here:

John 6:44 (NAS20S) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

6 hours ago, Josheb said:

I'm not sure it is consistent with a proper understanding of scripture and I say that because it implies the gate and Jesus are two different things: there is a gate and Jesus holds the gate open. Scripture teaches Jesus is the gate. 

John 10:1-9
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep.  To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.  A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers. This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which he had been saying to them.  So Jesus said to them again, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.  All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.  I am the door; if anyone enters through me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture."

John 14:6
"Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me.'" 

Romans 5:1-2
 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,  through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

So we should make sure we're not asserting a false dichotomy when speaking of the narrow gate and Christ. The keeper of the door that is Jesus is Jesus. ;) 

It might help to consider the following: 

Hebrews 13:10-14
"We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat.  For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the holy place by the high priest as an offering for sin, are burned outside the camp.  Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people through His own blood, suffered outside the gate.  So, let us go out to Him outside the camp, bearing His reproach.  For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come." 

Revelation 21:2-4
"And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband.  And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, 'Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them,  and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.'"

The city, its gate, its light, its tree, its river..... all Jesus (and his body). 

IMO in Luke 13: 24 the reason the door is narrow is not just because Jesus is the door (Which definitely is true. Jesus himself says so in John 10:7). But it is also because there is a striving(The Greek word 'agonizeisthe' comes from the root word 'agonia' which means 'contest') that needs to be done to enter and many(The Greek word 'polloi' is used in Matthew 4:25 to refer to 'large crowds') will seek( But not strive. The Greek word 'zetesousin' is used in Acts 16:10.And when Paul had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. ) to enter but will not be unable to. The door is certainly 'exclusive' in that sense. That is what Jesus meant by 'narrow'.

Jesus certainly is very very keen for people to come in to the door which is what is captured later in the chapter in verse 34. But ultimately they were not willing. Which reinforces the idea of 'narrowness'. I don't know where the idea of 'wideness' comes from ?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.42

On 9/27/2021 at 2:39 AM, SIC said:

This is not a reflection of the Gospel at all. 

It is from a Sermon....

A Sermon is not a bible study where we read part of some scripture and try to understand what it is all about.

This Pastor does not want to understand what is the reason why Jesus said what he said in Mathew:

In Mathew Jesus is speaking to the Jews and to his disciples and to the Farisees and to everyone who was in obedience to the law and in the old Covenant and not to the rest of the world...

Everyone who heard him, everyone were not in a position to understand him because what Jesus Christ said it is better understood in the New Covenant where the people who are his are in him because they have believe in him.

So Jesus excludes from his example those who do not believe in him. 

It is the same for believers as for anyone who does not believe in him and is still alive.

There are discipline and pruden people in all the cultures in the world. 

Because many unbelievers are found in the way of self discipline it does not mean that they are standing in the blood of Jesus Christ. 

In a similar situation in  the wide path without separating believers from not believers we can fine believers leading "a sensuous lifestyle".

It does not mean that the believers in Jesus Christ who lead a sensuous lifestyle are going to Hell. 

This is not an example of how someone can enter the door to Heaven....or can enter the door to Hell.

In this example the people are still alive and are not dead. 

If someone take it to mean what is the way to Heaven or to Hell....this kind of suggestion is antigospel. 

The element of faith in Jesus Christ who died for the forgivenes of our sins is not raised at all.

And it is impossible to be raised because Jesus has not died yet and it was before the time of the Penticost. 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,132
  • Content Per Day:  3.29
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

22 hours ago, SIC said:

The point of using the "narrow gate" and "closed door" metaphors is to warn against complacency by those who think they have salvation in the bag. Worldly and carnal priorities obscure the narrow gate and do not fit through the narrow gauge of passionate faith in Christ. The assertion that Jesus holds the narrow gate wide open implies the opposite of what Scripture teaches. Pop theology to tickle the ears methinks.   

Luk 13:22-30  And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.  (23)  Then one said to Him, "Lord, are there few who are saved?" And He said to them,  (24)  "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.  (25)  When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,'  (26)  then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.'  (27)  But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'  (28)  There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out.  (29)  They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God.  (30)  And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last."

• Well Said! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,467
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  08/11/1989

46 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

The point of using the "narrow gate" and "closed door" metaphors is to warn against complacency by those who think they have salvation in the bag. Worldly and carnal priorities obscure the narrow gate and do not fit through the narrow gauge of passionate faith in Christ. The assertion that Jesus holds the narrow gate wide open implies the opposite of what Scripture teaches. Pop theology to tickle the ears methinks.   

Luk 13:22-30  And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem.  (23)  Then one said to Him, "Lord, are there few who are saved?" And He said to them,  (24)  "Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able.  (25)  When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, 'Lord, Lord, open for us,' and He will answer and say to you, 'I do not know you, where you are from,'  (26)  then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.'  (27)  But He will say, 'I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.'  (28)  There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out.  (29)  They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God.  (30)  And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last."

Exactly my thoughts. It is almost like the pastor thinks " If I just talk about the narrow door people will not like it. So I will make it more palatable by adding a 'Don't worry Jesus holds the door wide open' to it."

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

6 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Thank you for posting the scripture reference and the scriptures....so we know what we are talking about. 

Is not only noting that Jesus is talking to the people who at that time are in obedience to the Law of God according to the Sina Covenant, and at that time the Sina Covenant was in effect within which the world was divided in two.

The Israelites and those adapted into Israel.

And only the Israelites who were in obedience to the Law to have their sins forgiven according to the Law. 

Jesus also made reference to Abraham and Issac and Jacob who was called Israel and "the prophets". 

Jesus mentioned those before the Law when he said to the "Jews" representing those who were in obedience to the religious Calendar while the Law had not set aside at the time. 

But Jesus is referring to the time within the New Covenant where we have forgiveness of sins in his name for the whole world. 

Jesus in this context in Luke 13: 22-30, he looks forwards to the New Covenant and he is telling those who have denied to believe in having forgiveness of sins in his blood and seek to enter the Kingdom of Heaven through the obedience to the Old Covenant. 

Jesus is telling them you have not come in my name you cannot enter in because I am the door to the Heavenly Father. 

Jesus made the distinction that those who denied him after the Cross and they seek to be within the people who are within they will be refused because Jesus is the door....forgiveness of sins in his blood.....which means he must die first. 

Jesus Christ points to Abraham Issac and Jacob who lived before the Sina Covenant and were not within the Door because of their obedience to the Law...

Jesus Christ also in giving the message that Abraham and Issac and Jacob-Israel is within the door which is him...that they were under his blood shed on the Cross. 

And how is that?  

Is not if it is a fact or not because Jesus Christ makes it a fact, but how so? How could that be, that they were included in the Gospel together with all the other people from all over the Nations of the world? 

Edited by Your closest friendnt

7 hours ago, Michael37 said:

Jesus also makes the point that the door cannot be opened for this group of people.. 

Not that the Door is closed to everyone one else, but only that is closed to that particular group of people...as Jesus Christ told them that "if you do not believe in me you will die in your sins" speaking to them who were at that time under the Law and in good standing to the Law. 

Jesus Christ said that the time will come that the door will close for everyone at the time of his death....

Because there is not repentance after death...everyone will be face with the Fact that Jesus Christ is the one who stands at the door to the Heavenly Father .

Those with the door close before them selves are those with the denial to believe Jesus Christ for their forgiveness of sins.