IMMANUEL OR JESUS?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I never understood why in matthew 1:23 it says ‘they will call him Immanuel’ quoting from Isaiah, when he is to be called Jesus. I’m sure there’s a simple explanation. But anyways,

Any ideas?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,625
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  1

Hi @Open7,

I hope you're doing good. 

I believe the reason why is in the interpretation - El with us. That was the mystery about the Messiah. If his name was actually Immanuel it would just be a straight forward prophecy, but the fact his name was Yahushua (Jesus) brings our attention to the interpretation instead. 

El is a shortened form of Elohim. Elohim is a word meaning Powerful Ones/ruler/master, and is the Hebrew term which is translated into God. But the term can also refer to Jesus, as he rules as Elohim in the Father's stead. Whilst he is not literally the Most High, as far as we are concerned, he is Elohim in authority. But our Most High Elohim and Jesus' Elohim is Creator Yahweh. 

Example verse:

Ps 45:7: "You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore Elohim(Jesus), Your Elohim (Yahweh), has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions."

I hope that makes sense

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Just a note, Elohim is used for heavenly beings that can and do exist in the spiritual world.  Even born again Christians can technically be called Elohim for we are born spiritually as sons and daughters of God into His family.

I agree that Immanuel, concerning Jesus, is a verb and not a noun.  It isn't his name, but a description of his position.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

4 hours ago, Open7 said:

I never understood why in matthew 1:23 it says ‘they will call him Immanuel’ quoting from Isaiah, when he is to be called Jesus. I’m sure there’s a simple explanation. But anyways,

Any ideas?

You have to go back to the original prophecy in Isaiah 7. There, Isaiah was talking about a child who would soon be born to a particular woman ("the" virgin - a virgin because she was not yet married at the time of the prophecy) and would actually be called 'Immanuel' as a statement of faith that God would protect His people.

The prophecy found an extra fulfilment in the birth of Jesus, (1) because his mother actually was a virgin when He was conceived, and (2) because although she and Joseph were instructed to call Him Jesus as His name, 'Immanuel' describes in a nutshell who He is.

Edited by Deborah_
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Yes, amen. God With Us.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

4 hours ago, other one said:

Just a note, Elohim is used for heavenly beings that can and do exist in the spiritual world.  Even born again Christians can technically be called Elohim for we are born spiritually as sons and daughters of God into His family.

I agree that Immanuel, concerning Jesus, is a verb and not a noun.  It isn't his name, but a description of his position.

That's my understanding as well. Jesus Christ, God with us (Immanuel). He is God with us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, Open7 said:

Any ideas?

The prophecy in Isaiah is about two women, not one.  It's a dual prophecy - like a lot of Old Testament prophecy.

Isaiah 7 teaches that the reign of king of Judah , King Ahaz, a HORRIBE king was threatened by the king of Israel, yet another ungodly king.  King Ahaz and Judah are terrified.

God sends the prophet Isaiah to comfort King Ahaz and tell them that they will not be conquered.  God says the king of Israel and their alliance with Syria will not defeat Judah.  God promised this to Ahaz.

God said through Isaiah TO Ahaz for him to ask God for proof of this.  Ask for a sign.  ANYTHING.

Ahaz did not love God.  He did not trust God.  If he asked God for proof, God would give it to him and Ahaz would be responsible TO God.

God gives him a sign anyway.

The duality of the prophecy.

• There was going to be a young woman- we don't  know her name - who had a baby the normal way named Immanuel.  Before the baby was very old at all - God was going to destroy Israel and so Israel would not be able to destroy Judah.  God gave Ahaz a sign whether he wanted it or not.
  • Hundreds of years later -there was also going to be another baby, named Jesus, born in a supernatural way [who acted as Immanuel as "God With Us"].
  • There was only one virgin birth.  The Hebrew word is עַלְמָה and can mean a literal virgin, young woman, newly married, or ripe for marriage.
  • The Isaiah passage should say "woman".  The Matthew passage should say "virgin".
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

9 hours ago, Open7 said:

Any ideas?

Its another name. 

Jesus means Savior 

Immanuel Means God With Us

So the Savior who is God With Us. 

God in Old Testament had many names like El Shaddai, Elohim, Jehovah, and etc. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Both.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 7/10/2022 at 4:42 AM, Open7 said:

Any ideas?

One simple explanation is that God is magnificent and has many names in the Bible.

This particular prophecy, however, emphasizes that God is WITH people in human form--in Jesus Christ.

• Thumbs Up 2