• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Religion doesn't cause war, people do :)

t.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As I said in a previous post I believe the following:

- All wars have started for secular reasons by the rulers

- Often, the population and the simple soldiers that actually had to fight them, have been convinced that the reason was religious

What did the Communist revolutions of Russia and China use, then? (Since both are atheistic)

This explains also why a power-connected clergy has often been promoted and sustained by the rulers of our world.

Not quite accurate. That's been used to control society in general, not just wars.

But we also see that the the ruling "power-connected clergy" has always persecuted people of the faith who did not follow their headship.

And this is why places like China allow government sanctioned churches but criminalize house churches and the like. Power-hungry governments hate beliefs they cannot control. If they don't use religion, they will use non-religious ideologues.

Thus again, the problem is not religion. It's man and his evil heart.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  03/26/1996

The question is:

Is the person/group fighting the war for religion, or using religion much like a ship skin to hide their true intentions.

In all honesty, saying religion causes wars is much like saying guns kill people.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The question is:

Is the person/group fighting the war for religion, or using religion much like a ship skin to hide their true intentions.

In all honesty, saying religion causes wars is much like saying guns kill people.

I think if you read the Koran and the Hadieths on Mohammad's teachings, you would not say that.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

The question is:

I think if you read the Koran and the Hadieths on Mohammad's teachings, you would not say that.

Yes; reading material such as you mention should remove the blindfold from ANYONE. Knowledge is power.

Guest shiloh357

The major wars of the 20th century have been the most bloody on record because they have been fought with the most sophisticated weaponry. WWI, WWII, the Chinese and Russian revolutions, Korea, Viet Nam, etc. have killed more people than in any other single century and have had nothing to do with religion. In fact few if any really have anything to do with religion per se.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  07/28/1947

I am in a support group on the internet for Parkinson's Disease and there has been a longstanding discussion on Christianity. Several members have brought up the objection that "religion" has caused many wars and conflicts. I wondered if anyone has any good answers to this, or, if it has already been discussed in here could you please direct me to the right thread?

I seem to be the only Christian entering the argument and I am feeling a bit under pressure! :blink:

----------

According to a historical study about 8 Percent of all the wars the past 4000 years have been fought over religion. The other 92 percent have been cased by other things. Shiloh357 is correct concerning the wars in the 20th century as these many great wars had nothing to do with religion whatsoever.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Ecclesiastes 3:8 3:8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time for war, and a time for peace.

Unfortunately it seems as of late, there seems to be more time for war then peace.

As a war veteran, I realize that there are times when all other options fail and war is the only option.

Example: American Revolution, in which we won our independence. Religion wasn't the only reason for that war, but a small part of the pie of reasons (freedom of religion). Freedom is so precious and we can't take it for granted.

A Soldier, Marine, Sailor or any other fighting man will not be eager for war nor do we wish for war. Because we have seen the horrors of war, shed blood and tears. Some of the physical wounds may heal, but the emotional wounds will last though out the rest of our days. War must be the last option after all other options are completely exhausted, sometimes I wonder if this is done.

I think the leaders of all Nations should spend a couple years in the military, maybe then they won't make any hasty decisions on going to war.

There is no glory in war, but it was an honor to defend my country's freedom.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

I am in a support group on the internet for Parkinson's Disease and there has been a longstanding discussion on Christianity. Several members have brought up the objection that "religion" has caused many wars and conflicts. I wondered if anyone has any good answers to this, or, if it has already been discussed in here could you please direct me to the right thread?

I seem to be the only Christian entering the argument and I am feeling a bit under pressure! :blink:

I usually say that people cause wars, but that they look for any excuse they can to justify their decision... including religion.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/25/1963

I usually say that people cause wars, but that they look for any excuse they can to justify their decision... including religion.

Very true. People cause wars. War is caused by greed and power plays. Usually when people go to war against someone it is because that person has got something the other person wants. Also everyone that goes to war using religion as an excuse always says that their 'god' is on their side but no one bothers to ask their 'god' if that is truly what the 'god' wanted. I remember reading a story of an incident in WW2. A bomber was flying over a town getting ready to drop it's load and an anti aircraft gun was getting ready to fire on it. Well the bomber found they couldn't drop their bombs. No matter what they did the bomb bay doors wouldn't open. At the same time the anti aircraft gun crew found they couldn't fire their weapon. Nothing either crew did would get it to work so the anti aircraft gun crew just let the aircraft go and the bomber turned to go home. The anti aircraft crew went to try to shoot the next plane down and the gun worked perfectly and the bomber tried again to release their bombs, when they were away from the anti aircraft gun, and the bombs dropped perfectly. This mystified them for years until years later the crews met up and they found out that the families of the men were praying for God to protect their men. Both crews said they believed God stopped both the plane and the gun from working so they would be protected.