IGNORED

OT - What is your favorite passage(s) in the OT? Why?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Psalms 130

3 If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

Psalms 150

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalms 17

15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Isaiah 53

[Really the whole chapter, but especially in bold.]

9 ...he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Great passages. :thumbsup:

Why do you like these passages?

God bless,

GE

Fixing to leave the house, Jon.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Psalms 130

Psalms 150

7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.

Psalms 17

15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Isaiah 53

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

Great passages. :thumbsup:

Why do you like these passages?

God bless,

GE

Psalms 130

I like this because it reminds me that God is a merciful God and no matter what I may do he is ready to hear my confession of sins and forgive me.

Psalms 17

This means that when I am resurrected and with him that I shall be in his likeness.

Isaiah 53

This is God being satisfied when he sees the punishment for my sins fulfilled in Christ's travail of soul.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Psalms 84. The whole thing was sung as a solo at our wedding nearly 50 years ago. It is still the cry of my heart, to worship among Gods people because we are His temple now.

How lovely is your tabernacle,O Lord of Hosts! My soul longs, yes, even faints for the courts of the Lord; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

Even the sparrow has found a hòme, and the swallòw a nest for herself, where she may lay her young---even your alters, O Lord of hosts, My King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in Your housè They will still be praising You.

Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca (Weeping) they make it a spring; the rain also covers it with pools. They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion.

O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; Give ear, O God of Jacob! O God, behold our shield,, and look upon the face of Your anointed. For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I wòuld rather be a doorkeeper in the hòuse of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the Lord God is a sun and shield; No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly.

O Lord of hosts, Blessed is the man who trusts in Yòu! NASV

There is peace and safety where God dwells. Even when we lay ourselves and our children on His alter of sacrefice, as living sacrefices we find peace and safety and are filled with praises for God. Along life's journey, The

man whose strength is in God is able to turn lifes lemons into lemonaide. He uses lifes mourning and trials to produce good, making himself stronger as he relys on God. Being an insignificant servent among God's people is our highest calling and greatest reward. This is what the psalm means to me and why it is so significant to me. It has always been the cry of my heart.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

The OT is chocked full of wonderful truth that spills out every time I open it, no matter where I read, so that in the end I cannot have a favorite or one that speaks to me more so than any other passage but for the sake of the thread I would like to contribute something concerning it.

I really enjoyed learning about the greater depths of human government through 1 Samuel as God revealed how it works. I found it amazing that the government of any people actually reflects the heart of the people as a whole and that the actual goal of any people ought to be no human government but truly be one nation under God. I found it very revealing as to the strategy Satan is using to secure his position here upon the earth as god in human form.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  550
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  2

From the NAB,

"Appear not before the Lord empty handed" (Sirach 35:4)

This sums up the "Parable of the Silver Pieces" in Matthew 25: 14-30, we are to bear fruit.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

From the NAB,

This sums up the "Parable of the Silver Pieces" in Matthew 25: 14-30, we are to bear fruit.

That is not a book of the OT, but a book of the Apocrypha, which is rejected from the Canon.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Worthy is first a ministry (Worthy Network) that just happens to have a discussion forum (WCF) . As such please see below.

From the Worthy Network SoF (Statement of Faith)

We believe that the 66 books of the Canon, from Genesis to Revelation are the exhaustive, inerrant and inspired word of God.

The Apocrypha is not included in the 66 books. Hope this clarifies that Sirach is not a book of the OT and as such is considered extra-Biblical. Did you have a passage of the OT (Genesis - Malachi) not part of the Apocrypha you wanted to share?

God bless,

GE

From the NAB,

This sums up the "Parable of the Silver Pieces" in Matthew 25: 14-30, we are to bear fruit....

"Three times in a year all your males shall appear before the LORD your God in the place which He chooses, at the Feast of Unleavened Bread and at the Feast of Weeks and at the Feast of Booths, and they shall not appear before the LORD empty-handed. Deuteronomy 16:16 (NASB)

Though some people don't consider this relevant for today, since God is the same yesterday, today and forever, I believe the principle still applies.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heavn, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

This gives us hope that even with all the wickedness going on around us, there is still hope for us as individuals, and for the nation as a whole if we will only turn back to God.

Amen~!