IGNORED

Conservatives in America treat liberals like Ninevites? What of grace?

GoldenEagle

Guest shiloh357

Our job is not to be a light to society. It is to be a light to people and our light which we are to show is the truth about Jesus... the gospel.

Society is made up of people.  We are to be a light to the world around us, our socieity, our community. Don't try to split hairs over semantics.

If enough people come to know Jesus, as each individual changes, that will effect society. That is why our priority is the gospel.

Right, but the fact is that Jesus said that we are the light of the world and we are the salt of the earth.   Light exposes darkness and reveals truth.  Salt preserves against corruption.

We are to present the Gospel but we are to be living examples of the truth we procolaim

Guest shiloh357

When I think of the liberals complaining that we conservatives just don't show them enough love and grace, I think of the word "hypocrisy."    Paula Deen was a conservative, southern woman   30 years ago, she used the "N" word.   Her use of that word was in the context of having a gun being held to head by an African American man who was robbing the bank she was working at.   This came out in a lawsuit but her use of the "N" word was not the focus of the lawsuit.

Well the liberals came out swinging and this caused anyone who had any connection to her to go into panic mode and sever their business relationships with her.  No matter how profusely she appologized, the liberals in the media world and other liberal commentators castigated her mercilessly and would not express any forgiveness or accept her apologies in the least.  In fact, her contriteness only made the attacks worse.

A few years ago, comedian Bill Maher (and other comedians as well) in referencing Sarah Palin used extremely vulgar language calling her the "C" word, "B" word and other vulgar terms.  Michelle Bachman got the same kind of derogatory treatment from the liberal late night comedic world and most liberals turned a deaf ear.  

Yet Rush Limbaugh in the middle of an emotional tirade, referred to Sandra Fluke as a s***.   He apologized when he was criticized by liberals and conservatives alike.  Yet the liberals did not accept the apology and held Rush Limbaugh up as the typical conservative with a vulgar mouth while again, ignoring the likes of Bill Maher who use far, far worse terminology and used it more often and to the applause and approval of his audience.

So all this stuff about how conservatives mistreat liberals and are mean and cruel to them is a lot of hogwash and their complaining is really hypocritical.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

So all this stuff about how conservatives mistreat liberals and are mean and cruel to them is a lot of hogwash and their complaining is really hypocritical.  

I agree with the above, Shiloh.  The problem with this whole thing is that they have no forgiveness or grace in them because, almost without exception, they don't have God in them either. 

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

When I think of the liberals complaining that we conservatives just don't show them enough love and grace, I think of the word "hypocrisy."    Paula Deen was a conservative, southern woman   30 years ago, she used the "N" word.   Her use of that word was in the context of having a gun being held to head by an African American man who was robbing the bank she was working at.   This came out in a lawsuit but her use of the "N" word was not the focus of the lawsuit.

Well the liberals came out swinging and this caused anyone who had any connection to her to go into panic mode and sever their business relationships with her.  No matter how profusely she appologized, the liberals in the media world and other liberal commentators castigated her mercilessly and would not express any forgiveness or accept her apologies in the least.  In fact, her contriteness only made the attacks worse.

A few years ago, comedian Bill Maher (and other comedians as well) in referencing Sarah Palin used extremely vulgar language calling her the "C" word, "B" word and other vulgar terms.  Michelle Bachman got the same kind of derogatory treatment from the liberal late night comedic world and most liberals turned a deaf ear.  

Yet Rush Limbaugh in the middle of an emotional tirade, referred to Sandra Fluke as a s***.   He apologized when he was criticized by liberals and conservatives alike.  Yet the liberals did not accept the apology and held Rush Limbaugh up as the typical conservative with a vulgar mouth while again, ignoring the likes of Bill Maher who use far, far worse terminology and used it more often and to the applause and approval of his audience.

Interesting...

How do you view this in bold in context of the following passages? This is so counter-cultural even among the Western Church today...

How will we as followers of Christ be known? Simple - Love for one another. :thumbsup:

John 13:34-35

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Are we to resist an evil person? Nope. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. :thumbsup:

Matthew 5:38-47

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Bless those who persecute you. Do not curse them. As far as it is up to you be a peacemaker. Overcome evil with good. :thumbsup:

Romans 12:9-21

Love in Action

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;

if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

God bless,

GE

Guest ninhao

Whether some people who present some conservatives as "mean and cruel" are being hypocritical is irrelevant, really. That is a fleshly battle. All Christians should follow what Jesus said as posted by GE above and remain focused upon the priority of the Gospel message.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I'm a dyed in the wool conservative and I don't apologize for it.  I have a problem with people saying they are born again Christians yet support gay marriage, abortion and a host of other things you cannot back up with scripture.  I don't hate anyone I just stand on what the word of God says and I don't see how you can claim to be a christian and support so many things that the Bible says are wrong.  I pray for these people that they find the truth, and that would be Jesus.  

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  1

I see the debate has moved to the extreme right vs the extreme left

Here's an example of what I consider a conservative view that has nothing to do with sex or homosexual behavior IMO it's all about a political policy.

Detroit is Nineveh

http://christianityboard.com/content/blog/detroit-nineveh/

Guest shiloh357

Interesting...

How do you view this in bold in context of the following passages? This is so counter-cultural even among the Western Church today...

How will we as followers of Christ be known? Simple - Love for one another. :thumbsup:

John 13:34-35

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Are we to resist an evil person? Nope. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. :thumbsup:

Matthew 5:38-47

Eye for Eye

38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’[h] 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41 If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies 43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Bless those who persecute you. Do not curse them. As far as it is up to you be a peacemaker. Overcome evil with good. :thumbsup:

Romans 12:9-21

Love in Action

Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.[c] Do not be conceited.

17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone. 18 If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. 19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”[d] says the Lord. 20 On the contrary:

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;

if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.

In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”[e]

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

God bless,

GE

Okay, so how am I "cursing" them???  How am I repaying evil for evil?  My point is that the liberals who play the victim card claiming that we are treating them like Ninevites or some other form of the worst people on earth have absolutely no moral ground to stand on.  They turn a blind eye and in some, take quiet pleasure in how conservatives are vilified in public.  They don't offer public approval, but as we learned from the history of the holocaust, staying silent is the same as saying it's okay.  The opposite of love is not hate; it's moral indifference.  I am not calling them names or using derogatory, filthy language to describe conservatives.  I am not playing the victim card so trying to accuse me of curing others is really unfair and is a false accusation.

I am not returning evil for evil  I am not vilifiying liberals or mistreating them. I am not claiming that liberal Christians are not saved or, whatever.  

In Matt. 5:39-41, when Jesus said that we are to "resist" an evil person, Jesus was speaking in the context of revenge.    Jesus was saying that we should not retaliltate in revenge against someone who has done something evil to us.  If  someone slaps me on the face, I am not to slap him on the face in revenge or retaliation.   Jesus is not talking about standing against false teachings or bad ideologies.  He is not taking away our right to challenge liberal ideaologues.

In fact, the entire passage you quoted from the sermon the mount is not even applicable to this because we are not even talking about persecution.  Liberals are not being persecuted.  They are being corrected.   You might want to discern the difference.

I think the whole "lack of grace" misses the mark because you are confuing "grace" with "sweetness."   Grace means that when you fail, I pick you up and give you another chance.   Nothing I have said indicates that liberals are somehow beyond grace or outside the purview of redemption.   But telling someone that their ideaology doesn't match Scripture and is not reflecting genuine Christianity is not a lack of grace, nor unloving.  It may not be "sweet" and pleasant, but sometimes the cold hard truth is what people need to face up to at some point.

No one calling anyone any names or insulting their intelligence, delcaring them as unsaved or whatever.  No one is calling anyone Ninevites or any other nonsense.  I think people need to stop being so hyper-sensitive and thin-skinned and learn that attacking your argument doesn't mean I think you are a bad person.  There are some liberals on here who are good people, but they have very bad theology that needs to be adjusted to fit with what Scripture teaches.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

I'm a dyed in the wool conservative and I don't apologize for it.  I have a problem with people saying they are born again Christians yet support gay marriage, abortion and a host of other things you cannot back up with scripture.  I don't hate anyone I just stand on what the word of God says and I don't see how you can claim to be a christian and support so many things that the Bible says are wrong.  I pray for these people that they find the truth, and that would be Jesus.  

Amen to that Rusty. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Perhaps it is because nobody has sat down and calmly explained to them what the Bible says on the matter?

I too pray that people find the truth. I still maintain that it is possible to support the things mentioned above and be a Christian. I do believe that with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and patient encouragement of other Believers it is possible for people to come to the truth (abortion is murder, homosexual relations are sin, etc) regarding these subjects.

My issue is discarding or disregarding these people (so-called liberals) as unsaved simply because of their views on certain controversial issues. :)

God bless,

GE