firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

When a Jewish male reaches the age of 12/13 he is considered a man and has certain rights including that of leading a religious service. This is when Jesus was taken to the temple and taught the religious leaders. This is when the children now adults are accountable for themselves - no longer are the parents accountable for them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

When a Jewish male reaches the age of 12/13 he is considered a man and has certain rights including that of leading a religious service. This is when Jesus was taken to the temple and taught the religious leaders. This is when the children now adults are accountable for themselves - no longer are the parents accountable for them.

That's what I thought. Do you know of any scripture that backs this up?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

How does that relate to the age of accountability?  Basically, that would actually account more as ritual still observed today, would it not?

How does that relate to accountability regarding sin?

We each are accountable for our own sin..parents never assume the sin of their children even though the effects of sin can and are passed down

Accountable in the sense of passing from child to man would mean responsible and not suddenly sinful?  Am I misunderstanding?

• Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

The meaning of Bar Mitzvah is son of the covenant. Here you will find a the MessianicFellowship statement from their website.

RELEVANCE TO THE NEW TESTAMENT

As mentioned previously, the BarlBat Mitzvah ceremony is not specifically found in the Hebrew Scriptures. However, the rabbinic commentaries contain many references to a ceremony that marks the age of accountability. Surprisingly, the clearest account of an ancient Bar Mitzvah ceremony is found in another Jewish book-the New Testament.

Every year Yeshua's parents went to Yerushalayim [Jerusalem] for the festival of Pesach (Passover). When he was twelve years old, they went up for the festival, as custom required. But after the festival was over, when his parents returned, Yeshua remained in Yerushalayim. They didn't realize this; supposing that he was somewhere in the caravan, they spent a whole day on the road before they began searching for him among their relatives and friends. Failing to find him, they returned to Yerushalayim to look for him. On the third day they found him-he was sitting in the Temple court among the rabbis, not only listening to them but questioning what they said; and everyone who heard him was astonished at his insight and his responses (Luke 2:41-47).

This Bar Mitzvah ceremony must have been very important for the New Testament writers, since this is the only recorded event of Yeshua's later childhood years. It is no coincidence that it occurred at the age of twelve when, according to tradition, a son became responsible for observing the Jewish feasts. Accordingly, Yosef and Miryam traveled to Jerusalem with their son to celebrate Passover and to prepare him for the duties of becoming a Bar Mitzvah.

However, this Bar Mitzvah turned out to be rather different from the average one. As the family returned by caravan to their home town of Natzeret, they did not at first realize that their son, Yeshua, had remained behind at the Temple. When they finally tracked him down, they found him where any good Bar Mitzvah boy would be-receiving the blessing of the rabbis, as was common in ancient tradition. It caught everyone's attention that this particular student was amazing even the rabbis with the wisdom of his drashah ("teaching"). Surely this Bar Mitzvah boy was something special, one who would later proclaim himself to be the Messiah.

While many of the elements of the traditional Bar Mitzvah are visible in this first-century account, this was a Bar Mitzvah to remember. Yeshua is the perfect example of what a Bar Mitzvah should be. As noted in the New Testament:

Even though he was the Son, he learned obedience through his sufferings. And after he had been brought to the goal, he became the source of eternal deliverance to all who obey him ([Messianic Jews] Hebrews 5:8-9).

How amazing it is to realize that Yeshua has been the only perfect BarMitzvah in the history of Israel. He has fulfilled all of the Torah on behalf of those who believe in him.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I personally do not accept that an specific age can be place on the time everyone becomes accountable for their decisions. A child knows the word no early in life, but does not understand the concept of lust until many years later. At which age is the child held accountable?

My belief is that God will judge their heart if they are not yet saved, as set forth in Romans 2:14-16.

When I posted this topic, I knew it would be a difficult topic to answer. I just hoped it would not be controversial and so far it hasn't been. I don't know of any place that discusses age accountability in scripture. That's why I asked. The heart of the question I am asking I guess someone else spoke on. Do the children of the unsaved go to Hell? Does any children go to hell? It's the question I am asking, and I don't know what to say to it. The bible talks about God's ways being higher than our ways, and there is a way that seems right to man but the end there of is death.  All children go to heaven.....Is this gospel or tradition. Is it what seems right to us or bible? I just don't know, and can't believe there isn't a straight answer.

Thanks to everyone for all the input on this.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Anyone, including children, who have not come to know God will be judged according to their heart, as seen in Romans 2:12-16

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Read the above slowly and carefully.

Anyone, including children, who have not come to know God will be judged according to their heart, as seen in Romans 2:12-16

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Read the above slowly and carefully.

I wouldn't have thought of applying that verse to this subject. Thanks for the post.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

There is no certain age of accountability.  I doubt seriously if some people are ever accountable for sins, such as people that are severely mentally retarded.  The concept of an age of accountability is totally man made.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I would also agree that whether or not we understand or how we (personally) perceive things, God will judge righteously.