IGNORED

Does the devil have us in bondage to sin?

Angie123

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1965

I have been studying how the devil has us in bondage to sin.  In John 8:30 - 34, Jesus says:

"As he spake these words, many believed on him.  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.  They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man:  how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?  Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."

And in 2nd Timothy 2:24-26: 

"And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."  

So we see that in the first set of scripture that those which believed on him were also in bondage to sin. 

And in the second set, that the devil has us in his snare at his will, not ours.  So we are truly in bondage.  

Lord Jesus secured our release from the bondage of sin at Calvary. Lord Jesus made a public spectacle of the devil's snares.

Col 2:11-15  In him you were also circumcised with a circumcision not performed by human hands. Your whole self ruled by the flesh was put off when you were circumcised by Christ,  (12)  having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.  (13)  When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,  (14)  having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.  (15)  And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Rom 6:6-14  For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin--  (7)  because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.  (8)  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.  (9)  For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him.  (10)  The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.  (11)  In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.  (12)  Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.  (13)  Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.  (14)  For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

Lord Jesus set us free.

Joh 8:34-36  Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.  (35)  Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.  (36)  So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Angie123, on 22 Oct 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

I have been studying how the devil has us in bondage to sin.  In John 8:30 - 34, Jesus says:

"As he spake these words, many believed on him.  Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;  And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.  They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man:  how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?  Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin."

Hello Angie123  I didn’t address your direct questions. Here Jesus is explaining to some Jews

that He would set them free. They however didn’t understand the concept that they were

slaves to sin ( the devil ) if they lived in sin. Notice Jesus says.

Joh 8:31  To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples.

In other words if we follow Jesus’  teaching we will remain free from the bondage of the

devil.

And in 2nd Timothy 2:24-26: 

"And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will."  

So we see that in the first set of scripture that those which believed on him were also in bondage to sin. 

And in the second set, that the devil has us in his snare at his will, not ours.  So we are truly in bondage.  

In 2 Timothy it is those that oppose that are captive of the devil. In other words the people who oppose have not held to Jesus teaching. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

We are a free people washed in the Blood of the Lamb of God. We are not in any bondage we are sealed by the Holy Spirit and we belong to Jesus and no one can take us out of His hand!!! Amen!!

PS Welcome to Worthy!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

We are not punished for our sins, we are punished by our sins.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

Jesus made the public show on the cross of calvary,where He declaired it is finish:we can only be in bondage if we allow devil to operate in our lives,if we resist the devil he will disappear,Jesus has giving us power to resist the devil,all we need is to lives a righteous life and to draw near to God,in other for him to show us great and mighty things which we don't know

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Glory to God!!! Father...I pray enlighten Your Word, more and more, to us Your children...In The Name of Jesus...

Welcome, Angie...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,115
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

"Spiritual Warfare"  by Karl Payne

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings everyone,

Thats one little book with alot of good information,other one...its also very simplistic,I would encourage you to read "Spiritual Warfare",Angie.....

We, as Christians are truly NOT in bondage of any kind & that is exactly the point Jesus makes ,His analogy of "a slave" is directed at unbelieving Pharisees who(as Paul describes it to the Romans)are not "Slaves to Christ",therefore they are a slave to sin......Scripture verses when read as a singular verse are being taken out of content and that is not a good way to interpret them as it is so very important "Who"is being addressed,"why" and 'what'' is Word of God telling us

Angie,the same is true for the verse from 2 Timothy.....Its about true,heartfelt repentance...the enemy cannot take anyone captive who is not willing.......destroying their own faith,opposing themselves(could be evil thoughts,lust)without repentance-submitting to the Lord without reservation.....its about Gods grace...gotta read Scripture in its entirety......

I hate to assume but it does seem from your other thread that you would like a better understanding about sin,,,,we are really reconciled to our Father when we submit to Christ & live unto His righteousness,free from sin & sin condemnation by placing all of our sins under the Blood of Jesus....seek God in His Word & pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit to reveal His Timelesss Truths,always reading in content....Hebrews(for example)can confuse the reader if they do not realize that it addresses the Jews who were sliding back into "the Law'' & their own works...Christs finished work at Calvary did it all for us,we are free indeed in Christ Jesus

With love,in Christ-Kwik