Adaeze

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have no problems with the cross myself.

I understand that the pagans can parallel symbols.

But anybody who does a brief search can learn the pagan history of the cross. The hexagram is another example, the so-called "Star of David". Learn its history.

So, there may have been a good idea behind them avoiding a cross symbol, but they're not just making things up.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Maybe we should go with the fish!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  3,239
  • Content Per Day:  0.86
  • Days Won:  6

If not believing Jesus is divine makes you a heretic, then here you go. By the way, I'm pretty sure they believe he is Michael the angel and brother of lucifer.

I've seen them, when in my house, go from smiling being and cordial to very tense and upset when I mention the word....

TRINITY

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

I have no problems with the cross myself.

I understand that the pagans can parallel symbols.

But anybody who does a brief search can learn the pagan history of the cross. The hexagram is another example, the so-called "Star of David". Learn its history.

So, there may have been a good idea behind them avoiding a cross symbol, but they're not just making things up.

Crucifixion was a pagan practice. The romans (at that time) were pagans, as were most (if not all) of the other cultures who used crucifixion as a method of execution, punishment, or torture. At the end of the day, though, that particular imagery is now associated with Jesus, because He died on a cross. Being overly concerned with what is and isn't a pagan symbol is really pointless as far as I'm concerned. That's attributing power to things that those things simply do not have. If pagans started worshiping toilets and build a gigantic temple to them right in the middle of your city, would you stop using toilets?

Insofar as symbolism goes, it doesn't matter if some 2000 year old culture used something as some symbol for something that nobody associated with it now. Making something an object of worship is the problem. It'd be better to have 1000 pagan symbols in your living room, none of which you make an object of your trust or worship, than to call a broomstick or a saucer your god. All of these arguments boil down to freedom in Christ and the actual intent of use for an object by someone. The cross for most Christians is just an image that is associated with their faith. You see a cross on a building and there's a safe bet you're going to find fellow believers there (or at least there used to be). If you see a cross on a book then you can be pretty certain it's the Bible, etc.

Having said that, a lot of symbols that i associate with paganism or the occult creep me out and I tend to stay away from them due to that, but that is my personal feeling on them. An argument could be made for damaging your witness or making your brother stumble with certain symbols as well, but we'll leave that for another thread at another time.

Also, with regards to the OP, yes, JWs are heretic in their beliefs, primarily that Jesus was created and is not divine.

Joh 8:57  So the Jews said to him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?" 
Joh 8:58  Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am."

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. -> Joh 1:14  And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 

JWs are the most recent incarnation of the Arian heresy.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

When the Lord addressed the seven churches in Revelation chapters 2 & 3, He was very careful to point out both good and bad in each (or most), and he didn't paint with a wide swathe.

Emulate Christ.

There is plenty of JW doctrine to criticize.

NEVERTHELESS, they have prevented the easter bunny from going hippity-hoppity into the Sanctuary. They celebrate the Christian Passover, with their own nuances.

A lot of "main stream" churches celebrate easter, and a few even roll eggs on Sanctuary grounds.

Now those guys have guts! I, for one, would not want to be the person putting the Asherah to His nose (metaphorically speaking).

Neither do Messianic Jews.

But better to be ignorant on the origins of the Easter Bunny than on the deity of Jesus.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

The cross isn't an object of worship. It's a symbol of how much God loves us. He chose to give his son. Jesus chose to go to the cross for us. We are thankful.

I believe JW's believe they will be gods ruling their own planets. They have many believes that are not biblical. But it is the denial of Jesus as Lord that concerns me most.

This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges That Jesus Christ has come in flesh(John 1:14) is from God. But every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist... 1John 4:2-3

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I am a Jehovah's Witness. Why should I consider becoming a Christian?"

Answer:
Perhaps the most important commonality between Evangelical Christians and Jehovah’s Witnesses is our belief and trust in the Bible as the ultimate authority inspired by God, on issues concerning God and His expectations for us. While we may understand things differently, Jehovah’s Witnesses are to be highly commended for their dependence on and diligence in studying the Holy Scriptures to know God and His will. Like the Bereans, we would be wise to examine all things in life, in light of the Scriptures. To that end, we shall examine verses of the New World Translation (the version of the Bible published by their Watchtower Society) to clear up some common misunderstandings.

A Rose by Any Other Name…

Christians get their name from being followers and worshipers of Jesus Christ, first called “Christians” in Antioch during Paul’s ministry (Acts 11:26). Paul repeatedly made it clear that to be a Christian was to be a witness to men concerning the person of Christ, to be a witness to the words and works of Christ. Jehovah’s Witnesses, on the other hand, believe that we are to focus our worship exclusively on God the Father (who is sometimes referred to in the Bible as “Jehovah”). This name, however, was a hybrid name created by Christians by adding vowels to the tetragrammaton “YHWH,” which was the original rendering which we now know as “Yahweh” in the Hebrew and “Jehovah” in the Greek. Evangelical Christians understand Jesus to be God in all His fullness, equal in deity, but different in function from God the Father. Christians acknowledge that one of the names for God the Father is Jehovah; however, there are many other names and titles which the Scriptures use in reference to God the Father.

Jehovah’s Witnesses understand Jesus to be Michael the Archangel, and categorically deny His deity. As we shall see, if we understand Jesus to be anything other than God, many verses present obvious contradictions. However, we know that God’s Word is inerrant and does not contradict itself. Therefore, we must understand the truth of God’s Word in a way that is consistent and faithful to His revelation. You will notice that these same verses lack any contradiction if we understand Jesus to be God the Son—the fullness of God in bodily form—who surrendered His rights to be the suffering servant and sacrifice for our sin. (All verses are quoted directly from the Jehovah’s Witnesses New World Translation.)

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/Jehovah-Witness-Christian.html#ixzz2tcciJd15

The

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24

Truth

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also. 1 John 2:22-23

I believe it is the Mormons that think they will be ruling other worlds.