firestormx

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  218
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

i think in many cases the answer to the 'why' question is bigotry. yep, i know that's an offensive word and nobody wants to be guilty of it, but the bottom line is an inability to accept (in this case) what scripture says because it goes so deeply against everything they've ever believed or been taught about something. and even though it is wrong, i can understand that tendency sometimes in cases where scripture is totally silent on a subject. but in cases where scripture is NOT silent, and something is discussed in scripture (old, new, or both testaments) as being either being allowable or forbidden, there really should be no wiggle room. and if scripture dictates that something is allowable for some but not for others, well, there's no room to wiggle there either. it is what it is.

but there are those who just can't accept it because it offends them so deeply on a personal level.

Only people who believe in the bible 100% can do that.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Why is it that people are confused about what sin is?

I am led to believe that because they reject God as God is in truth, God gives them over to a reprobate mind to do whatever is in their heart to do. God is not the author of confusion but of peace.

I am of the conviction that Sin is a person also known as Satan, the Serpant and the Devil. I believe sin is defined as following his lead in any way, shape or form.

Why do I have to sanctify the Lord in my heart? Because the heart is that which connects me to all that which is called god whether created or self existing. My thoughts and feelings are spiritual in nature and reveal who I align myself with whether it be good or evil.

Sin is the transgression of the law. The law was nailed to the cross. Jesus is the law for all of us. To transgress against Christ is to be in Sin. Jesus is alive and well ruling from on high until all things be brought under his feet as he treads upon serpants.

Pick up our cross which is to change sides over to the only true God. Deny our selves which is to stop relying upon the eyes of the understanding that were opened in the garden of Eden known as the opinion. And follow him which is to land upon the mount of olives having digested the sermon there and begin to use the bows we were given to bring in the Kingdom of God upon the earth or be rejected as the house of Joseph who refused to use their bows they were given.

There are two. One is the Savior. The other the Destroyer. They are known by the names given to their works. Even a child is known by his doings.

Peace Joseph

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

On the doctrine of sin...

The word that is used most frequently is hamartia, missing the mark. It is the most comprehensive term for explaining sin. Paul used the verb hamartano when he wrote, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). God has a high and holy standard of what is right, and so long as man follows the Divine standard he will see himself as he truly exists in God’s eyes. The flat statement of the Almighty is that all men have fallen far short of God’s required standard. It is the popular and common practice of men to create their own standards; however, God has established His standard of perfection for entry into Heaven, and all men have “missed the mark” as an archer’s arrow would fall to the ground because it fell short of its target.

Let no man ever think that he comes anywhere near the standard set by God. God has demanded absolute perfection, and no matter how one measures himself, he falls far short. Some men measure themselves on the basis of human intelligence, some by educational attainment, some by financial success, some by cultural environment, and others by religious performance. But God refuses to accept man on any of these grounds. He has established His perfect standard, and by that standard He measures every man. The Divine verdict in every instance has been the same, “You have come short, you have missed the mark.” And when the best of men have done their best, our Lord would challenge each with the words, “Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?” (Matthew 6:27). However much the difference that is lacking, no man can by himself raise himself to meet God’s moral standard, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23). Yes, all without exception, for, says God, “We have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin” (Romans 3:9); that is, both Jew and Gentile have missed the mark.

Read further @ https://bible.org/article/doctrine-sin

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  64
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

And yet that description below of a belief system is exactly what Bigotry is. 

i think in many cases the answer to the 'why' question is bigotry. yep, i know that's an offensive word and nobody wants to be guilty of it, but the bottom line is an inability to accept (in this case) what scripture says because it goes so deeply against everything they've ever believed or been taught about something. and even though it is wrong, i can understand that tendency sometimes in cases where scripture is totally silent on a subject. but in cases where scripture is NOT silent, and something is discussed in scripture (old, new, or both testaments) as being either being allowable or forbidden, there really should be no wiggle room. and if scripture dictates that something is allowable for some but not for others, well, there's no room to wiggle there either. it is what it is.

but there are those who just can't accept it because it offends them so deeply on a personal level.

I think you need to read my reply again. Rather than ask for clarification, then presume, and then project, and then attack.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I have noticed a lot of people claim to believe the Bible is God's Word, but their speech and actions say they don't really believe it is true.  They believe it is God's Word when it is convenient for them, but when it is not, here comes the cultural bias argument, or similar nonsense.  There is no mystery about sin if we believe the Bible.  It is the transgression of the law. 

What I quoted from you above is a nice paraphrase of what I was trying to say in my original post of this thread.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed.  Instead of worrying about what sin is, adhere to what Christ spoke pertaining to the two greatest commandments and you will not go wrong.  Allow yourself to be directed more and more by the Holy Spirit and there will be no concern what sin is.

Matthew 22:37-40

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

If sin is defined as breaking the law, then follow His two commandments and you will not be enticed to sin.

You're giving me a chance?

You're giving me a chance to convince your false witness, a sin, and your failure in reading comprehension, is just that? And then you'll believe I never said what you project in those faults you possess?

No thanks. I know I never called her a bigot. That's enough.

Genesis, I am giving you a chance to say what you mean.  If you were not suggesting LadyC is a bigot, what could you possibly have been suggesting?  If you tell me you weren't calling her a bigot, I will accept that you are telling the truth. 

@ Firestormx, I guess we look at scripture exactly the same way.  I don't mean we will always agree 100 percent of the time, but both see the Bible as the Word of God and believe it is absolute truth. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed. 

Will you please explain this? Is this saying by asking a question I am sinning?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Interesting how discussing what "sin is", sin is committed.

Will you please explain this? Is this saying by asking a question I am sinning?

No, not at all. Your question is harmless and often asked. Yet, by reading the thread through, you will see that by focusing in sin, we sin. If we focus in Christ, we will have a much lesser tendency to sin. My point is, what is our focus to be?