IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,124
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Hi Other one,

Again you miss the point that Jesus was performing the priestly function, as I've mentioned before. He is quite clear that priests performing the work of God are exempt from working because the work itself is the work of God and not servile work.

In Christ, Pat

Yes you have stated that before, and I still say that you are twisting that scripture with you mind to make it something that it's not.   The Jews told him that he was wrong for working on the Sabbath and he said that he was working and the Father was too.   He didn't tell them that they were wrong and he was doing something different, he admitted to the Jews that he was actually working on the Sabbath. 

Now you can rationalize that away any way you want to to settle that in your mind, but the Word plainly says that he was working on the Sabbath.  He agreed with the Jews that he was doing what they accused him of.

Dear Other One,

Accusing someone of twisting Scripture is a very serious accusation and you should at least have the decency to back it up, which you have not. I consider that as a baseless attack. Now when I jumped into this thread I sincerely thought we were going to have a discussion on exegeting the Scriptures with regard to the Sabbath Day. Now, as I have stated before, initially I believed something entirely different with regard to the Sabbath but, through the years, as I have studied it I have come to my current position on it and my intention was to only show why I believe what I do, for that was the original query of the author of this thread. Now if someone convinces me from Scripture I am in error I would gladly accept it because I base my belief of Scripture and not men. So I do not agree with your persistent accusation that I am twisting Scripture. Now on to what I really said:

I never said the Lord was NOT doing work on the Sabbath. What I did say was that He was doing "the work of the Lord", which I agree we "should do on the Sabbath" Contrary to profaning the Sabbath it glorifies the "Lord of the Sabbath", which is what we are supposed to do. My understanding is that the body was not to do servile work on the Sabbath - Jesus was certainly NOT doing that. So you misunderstand me. Hopefully we have cleared that up and you will no longer confuse a misunderstanding of what I was saying for the grievous sin of twisting the Scriptures.

May God reign in helping us to reign in our words brother, Pat

I'm leaving on a three week vacation......   if you really want to discuss this further, see me in three weeks or so.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Once again, I don't need to do that since my argument isn't that the Sabbath was abolished.

My argument is that the Church is not required to keep the Sabbath.  So far, and I have asked you several times for this, you have not yet provided ONE verse of Scripture that tells us that the Church is required to keep the Sabbath day.

So far you have danced around and ignored the issue I raised because you know you can't provide it and can't  admit it.  So it is easier to assign values to me that I didn't express instead of just addressing what I actually said.

Brother Shiloh,

Did the Apostles observe the Sabbath? Did Paul observe the Sabbath?

There does appear to be evidence that they did in the Scriptures - is there any evidence they did not?

Acts 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and sat down.

Acts 13:42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Acts 16:13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.

Act 17:1-3

Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ."

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

You may say these are merely inferences but to that end and your responsibility to exegete the counter position; what then are the Scriptures that point to its abolition?

In Christ, Pat

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Please, do not continue the bickering back and forth about who did or did not do something. Provide your scriptural support and discuss. This is beginning to sound like an argument in a playground.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Other one,

Again you miss the point that Jesus was performing the priestly function, as I've mentioned before. He is quite clear that priests performing the work of God are exempt from working because the work itself is the work of God and not servile work.

In Christ, Pat

Yes you have stated that before, and I still say that you are twisting that scripture with you mind to make it something that it's not.   The Jews told him that he was wrong for working on the Sabbath and he said that he was working and the Father was too.   He didn't tell them that they were wrong and he was doing something different, he admitted to the Jews that he was actually working on the Sabbath. 

Now you can rationalize that away any way you want to to settle that in your mind, but the Word plainly says that he was working on the Sabbath.  He agreed with the Jews that he was doing what they accused him of.

Dear Other One,

Accusing someone of twisting Scripture is a very serious accusation and you should at least have the decency to back it up, which you have not. I consider that as a baseless attack. Now when I jumped into this thread I sincerely thought we were going to have a discussion on exegeting the Scriptures with regard to the Sabbath Day. Now, as I have stated before, initially I believed something entirely different with regard to the Sabbath but, through the years, as I have studied it I have come to my current position on it and my intention was to only show why I believe what I do, for that was the original query of the author of this thread. Now if someone convinces me from Scripture I am in error I would gladly accept it because I base my belief of Scripture and not men. So I do not agree with your persistent accusation that I am twisting Scripture. Now on to what I really said:

I never said the Lord was NOT doing work on the Sabbath. What I did say was that He was doing "the work of the Lord", which I agree we "should do on the Sabbath" Contrary to profaning the Sabbath it glorifies the "Lord of the Sabbath", which is what we are supposed to do. My understanding is that the body was not to do servile work on the Sabbath - Jesus was certainly NOT doing that. So you misunderstand me. Hopefully we have cleared that up and you will no longer confuse a misunderstanding of what I was saying for the grievous sin of twisting the Scriptures.

May God reign in helping us to reign in our words brother, Pat

I'm leaving on a three week vacation......   if you really want to discuss this further, see me in three weeks or so.

Hi Brother Other one,

Well I hope you and your family have a fine vacation. I was merely trying to clear up your confusion over my statement and put us back on better footing.

May the Lord Bless, Pat

Guest shiloh357

Once again, I don't need to do that since my argument isn't that the Sabbath was abolished.

My argument is that the Church is not required to keep the Sabbath.  So far, and I have asked you several times for this, you have not yet provided ONE verse of Scripture that tells us that the Church is required to keep the Sabbath day.

So far you have danced around and ignored the issue I raised because you know you can't provide it and can't  admit it.  So it is easier to assign values to me that I didn't express instead of just addressing what I actually said.

Brother Shiloh,

There does appear to be evidence that they did in the Scriptures - is there any evidence they did not?

Acts 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day and sat down.

Acts 13:42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath.

Acts 13:44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

Acts 16:13 And on the Sabbath day we went out of the city to the riverside, where prayer was customarily made; and we sat down and spoke to the women who met there.

Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a synagogue of the Jews. Then Paul, as his custom was, went in to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and demonstrating that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I preach to you is the Christ."

Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

You may say these are merely inferences but to that end and your responsibility to exegete the counter position; what then are the Scriptures that point to its abolition?

In Christ, Pat

Yes, I am sure that the Apostles kept the Sabbath as well as the annual festivals.  That isn't in dispute.   Simply pointing to the apostles Sabbath observance isn't sufficient to claim that the Church is bound by God's law to keep the Sabbath day.   We don't derive theology that way.  Honestly, you are operating from very poor exegesis.  Before you talk about exegesis, you need to learn how to do it.

Again, since I am not claiming an abolition has taken place, I don't have to produce Scriptures that point to an abolition.

What Scriptures in the NT demand that the Church is bound by law to keep the Sabbath?   Still waiting for those Scriptures.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

here are a couple verses I found just to stir the pot

Isa 1

13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

Those verses don't apply because they were written at a time when Israel was in rebellion and were mixing the Sabbaths and feast days with pagan practices.  

here are a couple verses I found just to stir the pot

Isa 1

13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.

14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.

Those verses don't apply because they were written at a time when Israel was in rebellion and were mixing the Sabbaths and feast days with pagan practices.  

ok I think I see. God was not really hating the Sabbaths he was hating the Sabbaths only because they had turned to pagan worship on their Sabbaths.

Brother Shiloh,

In Christ, Pat

Hi Pat you say they were observing The Sabbaths. I see it a little different. The Jews always gathered on the sabbath as was their custom to read and here the Law of Moses. The Apostles were not there on the Sabbath to keep the Sabbath they were there on the Sabbaths preaching against Moses Law so in the preaching against Moses Law they were not observing the Sabbaths as some think.

Acts 21: 21, 25

21And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.

25 As touching the Gentiles which believe, we have written and concluded that they observe no such thing, save only that they keep themselves from things offered to idols, and from blood, and from strangled, and from fornication.

Ephesians 2 11-15 & 19-22

11 Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands;

12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:

13 But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.

14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;

15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:

22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum! Shabbat was never changed. It is and always be on 7th day of the week. One of the verses that convinced me that shabbat is still being observe today is Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

I've used to believe Jesus Christ was our sabbath rest until I read deeper into Matthew 24:19-20. If Jesus Christ was our sabbath rest that we don't have to keep a sabbath day, then you have to explain those passages.

Edited by shinethelight14

Guest shiloh357

Hello, I'm a new member on this forum! Shabbat was never changed. It is and always be on 7th day of the week. One of the verses that convinced me that shabbat is still being observe today is Matthew 24:19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:

I've used to believe Jesus Christ was our sabbath rest until I read deeper into Matthew 24:19-20. If Jesus Christ was our sabbath rest that we don't have to keep a sabbath day, then you have to explain those passages.

The Sabbath is still being observed in Israel, so it makes sense that Jesus would mention it.   It's not a matter of the Sabbath being changed.  The church is simply not obligated to keep the Sabbath day.