• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

On February 2, 2016 at 0:41 PM, RustyAngeL said:

my question to the board monitors, is how can someone bypass the Welcome Forum and have no posts and go directly into the Seekers Forum?  Is there a new rule that I don't know about?  Just wondering.  Thanks.  Rusty

I always  it was a place for non-Christians/Members to ask questions on this form.  Those who wish to become members go onto the welcome site and post  prior to becoming a member . On the other hand I could be completely wrong.

On 2/3/2016 at 0:33 AM, thereselittleflower said:

Paul told Timothy to take wine for his stomach (he had stomach problems.)

Jesus turned water into wine, and it was the best wine they had ever tasted.

Alcohol in and of itself is not a sinful.   Its misuse, its abuse is sinful.   

Additionally, there were those who set themselves apart to God and touched no strong drink in the scriptures 

An excellent point; the things about sin is how we use what we are given by the Lord (Body, emotions, work, etc). Sin has twisted the intended purposes and uses of these things into abominations and abuses.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Most things are probably neutral in and of themselves. Hammer drive nails, they are also weapons used in murder. What we do, is what is sinful or not. Jesus made wine, how bad can it, itself be?

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  103
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1975

being a former alcoholic, i would advise abstaining

and certainly, there is nothing wrong with abstainance, it is a safe, even wise course, to take!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  139
  • Content Count:  4,218
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Days Won:  0

"To be complete, there is also a passage endorseing buy 'strong drink' with tithe money, so, it is always important, to check contexts carefully, a read every passage you can on a subject, before forming doctrines or conclusions, about a topic."

This refference Omegaman 3.0,  is probably referring to is in the old testament, because no where in the new testament does it say to buy strong drink for tithe money, except in the old testament Deuteronomy ch12

Welcome to worthy Eric Mwangi

What does your conscience say about it?

The truth will speak to your heart, if you quietly go into prayer with God.

So many households, so many lives have been destroyed because of the imbibement of alcohol.

Are you yourself able to handle alcohol, and when you take it how does it make you feel?

They call alcohol also 'spirits'

I believe there is a reason for that, I believe it opens the door for satan to come in when over-indulgence comes into play.

If we look at the bible and what it says about alcohol.

In Genesis ch: 9 from the old testament, it says that Noah got so drunk that his children had to put him to sleep and because Noah was so drunk and also had no clothes on, his two sons felt embarrassed to look at him in his fallen state and so looked away whilst covering him up while he slept it off.

What Omegaman I think is referring to when he mentions the following: "To be complete, there is also a passage endorsing buy 'strong drink' with tithe money, so, it is always important, to check contexts carefully, a read every passage you can on a subject, before forming doctrines or conclusions, about a topic. "

This is only found in the old testament: Deuteronomy 14:22-27Deuteronomy 14:22
Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. 23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. 24 And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: 25 Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: 26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household, 27 And the Levite that is within thy gates; thou shalt not forsake him; for he hath no part nor inheritance with thee.

There are very sad consequences to taking alcohol.

God so lived the world that He sent his only begotten Son.

For God So Loved...

John 3:16

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him

God loves the sinner, not the sin.

Sin can takes us far away from the presence of God, it can change us to the point of our loosing our soul to sin and death over salvation and life. While we are alive , God has given us a choice to find Him or to turn away from Him.

Why did Christ Jesus come to this earth? to endorse sin? or to take it away?

He came to buy us back from the power of sin, so we can live our lives free from sin.

The new testament teaches us we can be free from the chains of bondage, lust of the flesh

and  through Christ Jesus now living in us, make us able to live by the fruits of the spirit of God.

Its the Holy Spirit of God working in us that allows the fruits of the spirit to come to life

Galatians 5:20:21 ,22,23

20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,

21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Clothe Yourselves with Christ

Romans ch 13: 12, 13

12 The night is almost gone, and the day is near. Therefore let us lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light.

13Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy.

14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.

and this same Holy spirit of God, living in our hearts, once we have sincerely repented to God and asked Christ Jesus to take away our sins and place them on the cross with Him and than ask the Holy Spirit to come make a home in our hearts, He will also convict our spirits of what we are doing wrong and what needs to changed in our lives.

It is the Holy Spirit of God who cleanses us step by step, sin by sin, stronghold by stronghold.

Ask yourself, does taking alcohol promote the lusts of the flesh or the fruits of the spirit of God?

Have you ever thought to yourself, how would you respect Christ Jesus, if you saw Him taking a drink and then saw His behavior change after drinking?

I know that is would bother me, just like it bothered me to witness some people that I care for deeply change their behavior just after taking even a few sips of alcohol. Its scary and sad to see someone you love change personalities after taking alcohol.

If their behavior is one way when they are sober and different when they take a drink, that is very scary for a child to see.

I think the TRUE answer can be found in a sincere heart that truly searches Gods true meaning of what 1 John :1 mentions about walking free from sin.

The true answer to your question is found in your heart.

If you can drink alcohol with a good conscience in front of your children, the little ones you are trying to set and example to and not worry about the impact it is having on them, than that is between your conscience and Gods truth. The consequences of Gods Truth will follow one way or another.

1 hour ago, 1to3 said:

This refference Omegaman 3.0,  is probably referring to is in the old testament, because no where in the new testament does it say to buy strong drink for tithe money, except in the old testament Deuteronomy ch12

Yes, it is Old Testament. You say no where in the New Testament does it say to buy strong drink with tithe, that is true, nowhere in the New Testament, are Christians instructed tithe anyway, but that is different subject.

I am going to close this thread, since there are representative answers to the OP's question presented, and this section of the Forums is not intended for thorough ongoing debate of topics which have been covered in other areas of the forums.

On 2/2/2016 at 9:41 AM, RustyAngeL said:

my question to the board monitors, is how can someone bypass the Welcome Forum and have no posts and go directly into the Seekers Forum?  Is there a new rule that I don't know about?  Just wondering.  Thanks.  Rusty

I do not know about a 'new' rule, but in a post dated to 2004, George wrote:

"The purpose of the Seeker's Forum is strictly for the preaching of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This is the only forum on Worthy that can be posted to by unregistered "Guests".  The goal here is that guests can come to Worthy, read the forums, and ask questions about the Lord in Seeker's without having to first register."

Since the discussion of alcohol, is not preaching the gospel, that is another reason I have closed the thread.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On February 2, 2016 at 9:41 AM, RustyAngeL said:

I posted here in 2012 for a while because I couldn't figure out the rest of the forum and the post 5 times thing wasn't explained.  This was the first forum I had ever been on and I was really lost.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

On February 2, 2016 at 9:14 AM, Eric Mwangi said:

I have always wanted to know, is taking alcohol a sin or being a drunkard is the problem

Drunkeness is the problem.  But alcohol clouds our judgement so we don't know when to quit.  Some people have one small glass of wine with dinner and never more. Taken with food and protein it does minimize the affect.  

In Jesus' day the water was usually bad so they drank very dilute wine to kill the germs, I have been told.  Most water was from stagnant cisterns.  When I was in high school biology we looked at water under a microscope that was from a stagnant pond.  It made you never want to drink water again!  But I choose not to drink alcohol instead and drink filtered water to avoid contaminants from old pipes.  

In the Roman culture they drank to get drunk and have orgies, which is why the new gentile Christians were told to avoid idolatry, strangled meat, sexual sin, and meat sacrificed to idols.  All of those were part of the pagan worship of idols and false gods.    I don't want to identify with what the world does.