IGNORED

Which Bible Version can you recommend (KJV, NIV, NKJV, etc)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  138
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  1

Though I have a King James Version, I prefer reading out of the New American Standard Bible. I would recommend no commentary. Pray that the Holy Spirit opens your eyes and teaches you before each reading. There are so many study bibles and commentaries, which for doctrines rely on the opinion of men. This is one of many areas Jews went wrong.  They started relying on the teachings of men in the Talmud instead of the word of ADONAI.

Luke 24:27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Luke 24:44-45 44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their [a]minds to understand the Scriptures,

Both of the passages above are from New American Standard

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,058
  • Content Per Day:  14.86
  • Days Won:  0

I would recommend the NASB or NIV, and the Bible Knowledge Commentary, Old and New Testaments, and Ungers Bible Commentary, Old Testament.  Dr. Unger was still working on the New Testament Commentary when he ran out of time.  You will see references to it in the OTC, but it was not finished and no one, to my knowledge, has accepted the task to complete his work.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Yeah, there are some really good commentaries out there as companions to a good Bible translation. I personally love Jamison, Fausett, and Brown. Very non intrusive and flexible to allow the reader to get understanding of scripture apart from certain Theologies.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

My favorite is the NKJV.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,675
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

I like the New king James version outreach bible for handing out...Easier to understand than the king James version, with some useful information for new Christians in the back..God bless you

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

I like the New king James version outreach bible for handing out...Easier to understand than the king James version, with some useful information for new Christians in the back..God bless you

I hear nothing but good things about the NKJV. The more I think about it, I belive I can enjoy other versions more due to my strong background and familiarity with the Kjv. So I might recommend a beginner to start there before venturing off to the Niv or other translations with so called "missing verses".

Getting solid in doctrine through the Kjv is priceless. Then tackle the newer versions as to maybe side step unnecessary confusion. Maybe not good advice for everyone but God used it for me.

• Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,675
  • Content Per Day:  0.47

On 10/04/2016 at 4:16 AM, saved34 said:

I hear nothing but good things about the NKJV. The more I think about it, I belive I can enjoy other versions more due to my strong background and familiarity with the Kjv. So I might recommend a beginner to start there before venturing off to the Niv or other translations with so called "missing verses".

Getting solid in doctrine through the Kjv is priceless. Then tackle the newer versions as to maybe side step unnecessary confusion. Maybe not good advice for everyone but God used it for me.

Praise the Lord

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  58
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Wow! This is a great topic! We have been blessed today with many different versions of the bible. The main problem is translating the bible from the Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek to English. For example in Greek there are 3 main words for "love" being agape, eros and phileo. Each has a specific meaning but is translated as "love." Each translation has the impact of the denomination or group that translated it. The KJV of 1611 is not the same as the one we have today. It was amended to, changed over 20 times last major one being 1769.

The Standard Version came out in the late 1900's. Later the Revised Standard, RV. Even later the RSV, Revised Standard Version. Then they started over and it became the English Standard Version, ESV.

The NIV came out in the 1970s, then first major version 1984. It was revised and called the TNiV, Today's NIV in 2005. Later revised again and updated on 2011, called NIV.

The New Living Bible came out in the 1970s. Then a committee put it together and sold the NLT in 1996. Updated 2x since last being 2015.

There are other good versions such as the HCSB, Holman Christian Standard Bible. It is in a southern baptist vein. The NET or New English Translation, from the Dallas Theological seminary (baptist). The NET is free on software and the notes are very extensive on translating what and why. A new one is the CEB which comes from England. Other ones are the CEV, NCV, God's Word, Tree of Life (which is a messianic bible).

I truly hope this helps

I

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  148
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

3 hours ago, Butero said:

Notice how once again, the NIV doesn't reference a fulfillment of prophecy. 

The NIV is among the worst of the worst translations on the market. 

I brought my first bible a few months ago.  I didn't really know which one to buy and so I brought a NIV.  Based on your comments above and other threads that have commented about which Bible version to get, I will be going to the shop next week to buy a new bible.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

1 hour ago, Lavender said:

I brought my first bible a few months ago.  I didn't really know which one to buy and so I brought a NIV.  Based on your comments above and other threads that have commented about which Bible version to get, I will be going to the shop next week to buy a new bible.

Don't do that. The NIV is a good translation, especially if this is your first bible. Those "missing" verses are usually found in the NIV as footnotes; hence they are not really missing. Why don't you check whether those verses are also missing in the other recognised translations e.g. ESV, NASB, NRSV, NLT, etc.? I think you will find they too have them as footnotes or within brackets, i.e. they agree with the NIV. Then ask yourself whether it is more likely that all those versions are wrong and only KJV right. Logic dictates that it is the converse.