• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

59 minutes ago, Giller said:

Now I do not believe that the seventh day is to be observed under the new covenant, and anyhow the sabbath was not a Jewish thing nor a Christian thing, but rather a Godish thing (it came from God).

the sabbath as a command is a Jewish thing, and the original poster set the stage for this thread as pertaining to the commandment in his second post a few hundred posts ago.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  159
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/17/1952

One other possibility is that "sabbath" is a concept God put in place at creation. Remember, He created the world in 6 days and rested the 7th to consider all that He had done.

I think it important for us to follow God's example and allow ourselves a "sabbath day" of rest, consideration and worship for all He has done. I am pretty sure that no matter what name we give that day (Saturday, Sunday or broccoli day), God will honor the faithful, heart-felt attempt to rest in Him and to honor Him.

I also agree that Christ is our Sabbath and we really need to read and understand Hebrews 4 about entering into His rest...it's not about the Sunday afternoon nap......

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,247
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

2 hours ago, Blessed_Monk said:

"Let us therefore no longer keep the Sabbath after the Jewish manner, and rejoice in days of idleness; "  (Ignatius:Excerpted chapter 9 http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/LostBooks/ignatius2magnesians.htm)

St. Ignatius of Antioch
In this letter by the early Church Father the Catholic Church is
mentioned by name.

Catholic means universal, not Roman Catholic.  It included the Coptic, the Greek, the Roman, the Syrian and many other churches that existed in the first couple of centuries.  They weren't firmly united under the Roman Church as yet to my understanding.  It wasn't until the councils in the 300s AD that this began to occur, as I understand it.  Ignatius was contemporary with John and may have been his disciple.  He died in 108 AD  Each church had a bishop who presided over his church.  It was not till around the year 380 that the emperor Theodosius  I established the "Roman Catholic" church

On 27 February of the previous year, Theodosius I established, with the Edict of Thessalonica, the Christianity of the First Council of Nicaea as the official state religion, reserving for its followers the title of Catholic Christians and declaring that those who did not follow the religion taught by Pope Damasus I of Rome and Pope Peter of Alexandria were to be called heretics:[34]

It is our desire that all the various nations which are subject to our Clemency and Moderation, should continue to profess that religion which was delivered to the Romans by the divine Apostle Peter, as it has been preserved by faithful tradition, and which is now professed by the Pontiff Damasus and by Peter, Bishop of Alexandria, a man of apostolic holiness. According to the apostolic teaching and the doctrine of the Gospel, let us believe in the one deity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, in equal majesty and in a holy Trinity. We authorize the followers of this law to assume the title of Catholic Christians; but as for the others, since, in our judgment they are foolish madmen, we decree that they shall be branded with the ignominious name of heretics, and shall not presume to give to their conventicles the name of churches. They will suffer in the first place the chastisement of the divine condemnation and in the second the punishment of our authority which in accordance with the will of Heaven we shall decide to inflict.

— Edict of Thessalonica

In 391, Theodosius closed all the "pagan" (non-Christian and non-Jewish) temples and formally forbade pagan worship. 

Constantinople was probably the center for the Roman Catholic Church at that time.  I recall that the Greek Church and other Eastern Orthodox churches withdrew over the wording in the Nicene Creed that the Holy Spirit proceeds from both the Father and the Son.

Wikipedia  

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  458
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

On 2/9/2017 at 0:42 PM, No124get1952 said:

I also agree that Christ is our Sabbath and we really need to read and understand Hebrews 4 about entering into His rest...

Its really easy to understand

HEBREWS 4 [9] THERE REMAINETH THEREFORE A REST to the people of God.[10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

We are to rest as God did rest from His work. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works 

God rested the 7th day. The sabbath day that He sanctified. Easy to understand. No song and dance needed

On 1/23/2017 at 6:34 AM, other one said:

There is not distinction between good works and other works in Exodus....

Speaking of your works...The book of Revelation was written long after Christ rose from the dead. The “many” claim your works are not important to God. So lets see what the written WORD says to the churches about your works.

REVELATION 1 [20] The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the SEVEN CHURCHES: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

REVELATION 2 [1]Unto the angel of THE CHURCH OF EPHESUS write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; [2] I KNOW THY WORKS, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

REVELATION 2 [8] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN SMYRNA write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; [9] I KNOW THY WORKS........

REVELATION 2 [12] And to the angel of THE CHURCH IN PERGAMOS write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; [13] I KNOW THY WORKS...........

REVELATION 2:18-19 (KJV) [18] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN THYATIRA write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; [19] I KNOW THY WORKS, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, AND THY WORKS; and the last to be more than the first.

REVELATION 3 [1] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN SARDIS write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I KNOW THY WORKS, that thou hast a name that thou livest, AND ART DEAD.

REVELATION 3 [7] And to the angel of THE CHURCH IN PHILADELPHIA write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; [8] I KNOW THY WORKS.......

REVELATION 3 [14] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH OF THE LAODICEANS write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; [15] I KNOW THY WORKS, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. [16] So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I WILL SPUE THEE OUT OF MY MOUTH.

The very first thing said to all the churches..... I know thy works!

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.[2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:........[7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:[8] And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.[9] The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.[10] They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;[11] And forgat his works, and his wonders that he had shewed them.

We all should know who opened His mouth using parables. Jesus Christ. Ive heard many a sunday mournin preacher claim the USA is Ephrain. Sure does look that way. The USA as a whole do refuse to walk in His law. The day of battle. They lose. I hope not

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  713
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

On 10/9/2016 at 0:24 PM, AndyMan said:

If I was to ask God, "God which is the sabbath day of the week, Saturday or Sunday ?" Which day would he say. 

God bless.

AndyMan 

What day in the creation chapter did God rest on? The 7th day. What did God decree about that day when he gave his laws to Moses in Exodus? The Sabbath day. That it should be remembered and kept holy. 

The seventh day is Saturday by our calendar today. We're not under the law the way the Jews were but we are to keep a day of rest to ourselves. Jesus is the same Lord that created the Sabbath. In him we have our rest every day. And on the Lord's day we are if able to take our rest from the world and be in our place with God and his word to us. 

53 minutes ago, WailingWall said:

Speaking of your works...The book of Revelation was written long after Christ rose from the dead. The “many” claim your works are not important to God. So lets see what the written WORD says to the churches about your works.

REVELATION 1 [20] The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the SEVEN CHURCHES: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

REVELATION 2 [1]Unto the angel of THE CHURCH OF EPHESUS write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; [2] I KNOW THY WORKS, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:

REVELATION 2 [8] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN SMYRNA write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive; [9] I KNOW THY WORKS........

REVELATION 2 [12] And to the angel of THE CHURCH IN PERGAMOS write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges; [13] I KNOW THY WORKS...........

REVELATION 2:18-19 (KJV) [18] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN THYATIRA write; These things saith the Son of God, who hath his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass; [19] I KNOW THY WORKS, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, AND THY WORKS; and the last to be more than the first.

REVELATION 3 [1] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH IN SARDIS write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I KNOW THY WORKS, that thou hast a name that thou livest, AND ART DEAD.

REVELATION 3 [7] And to the angel of THE CHURCH IN PHILADELPHIA write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; [8] I KNOW THY WORKS.......

REVELATION 3 [14] And unto the angel of THE CHURCH OF THE LAODICEANS write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God; [15] I KNOW THY WORKS, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. [16] So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I WILL SPUE THEE OUT OF MY MOUTH.

The very first thing said to all the churches..... I know thy works!

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.[2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:........[7] THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:[8] And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.[9] The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.[10] They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;[11] And forgat his works, and his wonders that he had shewed them.

We all should know who opened His mouth using parables. Jesus Christ. Ive heard many a sunday mournin preacher claim the USA is Ephrain. Sure does look that way. The USA as a whole do refuse to walk in His law. The day of battle. They lose. I hope not

Well, first of all I don't think we are ephrain,   but it isn't the law that we are supposed to be following, it's his two commandments and a few other things like being baptized, so I really don't think that scripture applies to us concerning the law.  I personally am not in the covenant given to Moses, I am in the second covenant and so are almost all my friends and family....    and for the most part all the people I know personally are following the commandments Jesus gave us.

So take heart we are not among the old testament stuff any longer.

1 hour ago, other one said:

Well, first of all I don't think we are ephrain,   but it isn't the law that we are supposed to be following, it's his two commandments and a few other things like being baptized, so I really don't think that scripture applies to us concerning the law.  I personally am not in the covenant given to Moses, I am in the second covenant and so are almost all my friends and family....    and for the most part all the people I know personally are following the commandments Jesus gave us.

So take heart we are not among the old testament stuff any longer.

MATT.22 [35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, [36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?[37] Jesus said unto him, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.[38] This is the first and great commandment.[39] And the second is like unto it, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF.[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Theres the 2 commandments you speak of

DEUT.6  [5] And THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THINE HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[6] And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart [17] Ye shall diligently KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.

I guess they aint that new

LEV.19 [17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF: I am the LORD.

Hmmm...neither one. Both out of the law of Moses

15 minutes ago, WailingWall said:

MATT.22 [35] Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, [36] Master, which is the great commandment in the law?[37] Jesus said unto him, THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.[38] This is the first and great commandment.[39] And the second is like unto it, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF.[40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Theres the 2 commandments you speak of

DEUT.6  [5] And THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THINE HEART, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.[6] And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart [17] Ye shall diligently KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of the LORD your God, and his testimonies, and his statutes, which he hath commanded thee.

I guess they aint that new

LEV.19 [17] Thou shalt not hate thy brother in thine heart: thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbour, and not suffer sin upon him.[18] Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF: I am the LORD.

Hmmm...neither one. Both out of the law of Moses

Matthew chapter 25 lists reasons why people were being sent to hell and it is basically following his second commandment, and none of the reasons they are going to hell have anything to do with any of the ten commandments....  you can follow the ten commandments your entire life and never break a single one and still go to hell...

Don't give me old testament scripture to follow for that was involved in the first covenant which didn't not involve eternal live.

The second covenant deals with eternal life and that is the one I am interested in being involved with....

So, I am involved with loving my Lord with all my heart and soul as he demanded we do.

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  480
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

1st John 5.3 this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments and they are NOT burdensome.