• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Hello,

I have been going over prophecy lately and kind of bouncing around from Daniel, Revelations and Ezekiel.  I have read over Ezekiel before but just kind of pass over the stuff I didn't understand.  Now I am digging in a bit deeper.  In Ezekiel the first chapter, What is it referring to when it talked about "the wheel"?

Ezekiel’s Vision of God

Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the River Chebar, that the heavens were opened and I saw visions[a] of God. On the fifth day of the month, which was in the fifth year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity, the word of the Lord came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the [b]Chaldeans by the River Chebar; and the hand of the Lord was upon him there.

Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire. Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. Their [c]legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze. The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings. Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. 11 Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies. 12 And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. 14 And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning.

15 Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. 16 The appearance of the wheels and their workings was like the color of beryl, and all four had the same likeness. The appearance of their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. 17 When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. 18 As for their rims, they were so high they were awesome; and their rims were full of eyes, all around the four of them. 19 When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. 20 Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the [d]living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the [e]living creatures was in the wheels.

I know it is symbolism but not sure just what it is referring to 

Thank you and God bless!

Matt <><<

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

4 minutes ago, Disciple Matt said:

Hello,

I have been going over prophecy lately and kind of bouncing around from Daniel, Revelations and Ezekiel.  I have read over Ezekiel before but just kind of pass over the stuff I didn't understand.  Now I am digging in a bit deeper.  In Ezekiel the first chapter, What is it referring to when it talked about "the wheel"?

Ezekiel’s Vision of God

Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the River Chebar, that the heavens were opened and I saw visions[a] of God. On the fifth day of the month, which was in the fifth year of King Jehoiachin’s captivity, the word of the Lord came expressly to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the [b]Chaldeans by the River Chebar; and the hand of the Lord was upon him there.

Then I looked, and behold, a whirlwind was coming out of the north, a great cloud with raging fire engulfing itself; and brightness was all around it and radiating out of its midst like the color of amber, out of the midst of the fire. Also from within it came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance: they had the likeness of a man. Each one had four faces, and each one had four wings. Their [c]legs were straight, and the soles of their feet were like the soles of calves’ feet. They sparkled like the color of burnished bronze. The hands of a man were under their wings on their four sides; and each of the four had faces and wings. Their wings touched one another. The creatures did not turn when they went, but each one went straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, each had the face of a man; each of the four had the face of a lion on the right side, each of the four had the face of an ox on the left side, and each of the four had the face of an eagle. 11 Thus were their faces. Their wings stretched upward; two wings of each one touched one another, and two covered their bodies. 12 And each one went straight forward; they went wherever the spirit wanted to go, and they did not turn when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, like the appearance of torches going back and forth among the living creatures. The fire was bright, and out of the fire went lightning. 14 And the living creatures ran back and forth, in appearance like a flash of lightning.

15 Now as I looked at the living creatures, behold, a wheel was on the earth beside each living creature with its four faces. 16 The appearance of the wheels and their workings was like the color of beryl, and all four had the same likeness. The appearance of their workings was, as it were, a wheel in the middle of a wheel. 17 When they moved, they went toward any one of four directions; they did not turn aside when they went. 18 As for their rims, they were so high they were awesome; and their rims were full of eyes, all around the four of them. 19 When the living creatures went, the wheels went beside them; and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up. 20 Wherever the spirit wanted to go, they went, because there the spirit went; and the wheels were lifted together with them, for the spirit of the [d]living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When those went, these went; when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up together with them, for the spirit of the [e]living creatures was in the wheels.

Thank you and God bless!

Matt <><<

Question: "What were the wheels in Ezekiel 1?"

Answer: 
Ezekiel’s vision of the four wheels dramatically illustrates the omnipresence and omniscience of God. These wheels were associated with the “four living creatures” (Ezekiel 1:4), who were later described (Ezekiel 10:5, 20) as cherubim, angelic beings appointed as guardians of the holiness of God.

Each wheel was actually two in one, with one apparently set inside the other at right angles which enabled the “living creatures” to move in any direction instantly without having to turn, like a flash of lightning. These wheels had the appearance of chrysolite, which may have been a topaz or other semiprecious stone. The outer rim of the wheels was described as high and awesome with the outer edge of the rims inset with “eyes” (Ezekiel 1:14-18).

The Spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels (Ezekiel 1:20-21). As a result, the creatures were able to move any direction the wheels moved. Most biblical scholars hold to the idea that the Spirit of God gave direction to the wheels through direct knowledge of and access to the will of God. The mobility of the wheels suggests the omnipresence of God; the eyes, His omniscience; and the elevated position, His omnipotence.

This vision appeared to Ezekiel as a powerful imagery of movement and action demonstrating the characteristics of God’s divine nature. It presented God as being on a chariot-like throne, His glory both supreme and immanent, existing in and extending into all the created universe. As such, the whole revelation by God in this vision to Ezekiel, i.e., the cherubim, the chariot, the Spirit, and the wheels, emphasized their unity and coordination.

As terrifying as this vision was, it vividly displayed the majesty and glory of God (Ezekiel 1:28), who came to Ezekiel and the children of Israel in the midst of their Babylonian exile. It reminded them of His holiness and power as the Lord of all creation. The message was clear: though His people were in exile and their nation was about to be destroyed, God was still on the throne and able to handle every situation. The lesson for us today is that, through His marvelous providence, God moves in the affairs of all nations to work out His own unseen plan, always at work, intricately designed, never wrong, and never late (Romans 8:28).

https://www.gotquestions.org/Ezekiel-wheels.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

5 minutes ago, Disciple Matt said:

What is it referring to when it talked about "the wheel"?

This is quite typical of ancient Mesopotamian and Ugarit visualizations. These are Throne Chariots, presided over by Throne Guardian creatures with wings etc. Cherubim and Seraphim are very fearful creatures. They guard the very Person of the Ancient of Days.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/15/1973

7 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Question: "What were the wheels in Ezekiel 1?"

Answer: 
Ezekiel’s vision of the four wheels dramatically illustrates the omnipresence and omniscience of God. These wheels were associated with the “four living creatures” (Ezekiel 1:4), who were later described (Ezekiel 10:5, 20) as cherubim, angelic beings appointed as guardians of the holiness of God.

Each wheel was actually two in one, with one apparently set inside the other at right angles which enabled the “living creatures” to move in any direction instantly without having to turn, like a flash of lightning. These wheels had the appearance of chrysolite, which may have been a topaz or other semiprecious stone. The outer rim of the wheels was described as high and awesome with the outer edge of the rims inset with “eyes” (Ezekiel 1:14-18).

The Spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels (Ezekiel 1:20-21). As a result, the creatures were able to move any direction the wheels moved. Most biblical scholars hold to the idea that the Spirit of God gave direction to the wheels through direct knowledge of and access to the will of God. The mobility of the wheels suggests the omnipresence of God; the eyes, His omniscience; and the elevated position, His omnipotence.

This vision appeared to Ezekiel as a powerful imagery of movement and action demonstrating the characteristics of God’s divine nature. It presented God as being on a chariot-like throne, His glory both supreme and immanent, existing in and extending into all the created universe. As such, the whole revelation by God in this vision to Ezekiel, i.e., the cherubim, the chariot, the Spirit, and the wheels, emphasized their unity and coordination.

As terrifying as this vision was, it vividly displayed the majesty and glory of God (Ezekiel 1:28), who came to Ezekiel and the children of Israel in the midst of their Babylonian exile. It reminded them of His holiness and power as the Lord of all creation. The message was clear: though His people were in exile and their nation was about to be destroyed, God was still on the throne and able to handle every situation. The lesson for us today is that, through His marvelous providence, God moves in the affairs of all nations to work out His own unseen plan, always at work, intricately designed, never wrong, and never late (Romans 8:28).

Numbers 2:2,

When the Israelites set up camp, each tribe will be assigned its own area. The tribal divisions will camp beneath their family banners on all four sides of the Tabernacle, but at some distance from it.

The 4 living creatures stand for  each banner or ensigns of the North side of the camp, the south side, the east side, and also the west side of the camp of the Isrealites.

The North  banner was of the tribe of camp of Dan which signifies the eagle of gold on a blue background.

The south banner was the tribe of Rueben which signifies the man on a gold background.

The west banner was the tribe of Ephraim which was an Ox on a gold background.

The East banner was the tribe of Judah which was of a Lion of gold on a scarlet background.

These banners stand for E. L. O. M

This stands for God or El of him which is man or EL of man. This clearly stands for Elohim.  E= (EAGLE) L=(LION) O=(OX) M=(MAN) This in a secondary sense stands for the different states of man in the tribes of Israel.

This also stands for the eyes of the Lord which run to and fro the earth. The eyes of the Lord are his watchmen that are on the wall warning the people of Isreal of oncoming danger whether it be physical or spiritual through their prophesies or writings.

This was their job to earn the people and proclaim the truth to them as well.

• Thanks 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

16 hours ago, Disciple Matt said:

Read the book of Enoch. Wheels are defined. Oh.....wait.....that isn't scripture. Never mind. Shalom.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  211
  • Content Count:  1,463
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  01/23/1966

16 hours ago, Justin Adams said:

This is quite typical of ancient Mesopotamian and Ugarit visualizations. These are Throne Chariots, presided over by Throne Guardian creatures with wings etc. Cherubim and Seraphim are very fearful creatures. They guard the very Person of the Ancient of Days.

Good word. Shalom. 

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,134
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

16 hours ago, Disciple Matt said:

Is it symbolism?

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Content Per Day:  2.70

7 hours ago, Da Puppers said:

That's how I basically interpret it too. In addition, my thoughts are the four beasts [cherubim], maybe watchers over those kingdoms? If that theory / interpretation is close to correct; then there's something missing. I notice the reptile and fish kingdoms are not represented? It would be a long explanation to convey my thoughts on that, so I'll let it go at that. 

I think of what kinds of creatures have the 'breath of life' and what that details [fish, insects, microbes, etc. No.]. I'm thinking the eagle represents all the fowl; Lion = all the wild animals; Ox= all domesticated animals. 

A long time ago before I did any detailed studies, I thought Ezekiel was describing some sort of UFO? In a sense that could be an accurate description. My current thoughts and understanding are; the cherubim creatures are guardians of the Throne of God and transport it also according to God's will. It seems this is one method of transportation the Lord chooses to use in addition to being omnipresent? Seeing an artists rendition of the description of these 'Beasts', they are indeed very awkward and awesome in our minds and sight. 

With our technology and language of today, I wonder how they would be described if someone seen one today? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

19 hours ago, Disciple Matt said:

Hello,

Hello Disciple Matt

Ezekiel got a good glimpse of Gods throne.  We know God is "spirit", therefore everything he created in the heavenly realm is made up of "spirit" also - even his throne.  The wheels of his chariot are made up of these 4 spiritual creatures.  These four beasts are with God constantly at his feet.  Where ever God's spirit goes, they go also and cannot be separated from each other or from God.   They cannot act on their own or travel to and fro independently which is why maybe God called them "beasts" and not "angels".  Regardless, they are "living spiritual creatures" amongst the many where everything in heaven is made not of the material, but of spirit and has life.

I think that is what God wanted to show Ezekiel and also us, that there is no end to what God can create, and that everything he made for heaven is spirit and has life (even the food). 

These are the same four living creatures that gave John insight into the first four seals of Revelation chapter 6;

Revelation 6:1   And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

Revelation 6:3   And when he had opened the second seal, I heard the second beast say, Come and see.

Revelation 6:5   And when he had opened the third seal, I heard the third beast say, Come and see. And I beheld, and lo a black horse; and he that sat on him had a pair of balances in his hand.

Revelation 6:7   And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Spirit is real and substantial. It is just different to our reality. It encompasses our realm and supersedes it, but it is real. Cosmic Geography does not have latitude and longitude like we know it. But is is very real and sometimes we may touch it without knowing.