IGNORED

Which day is the Sabbath and is it still valid today?

tff

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I also believe in worship everyday. By all means!! I do not think we are bound by the law. Is it not one of the 10 commandments. Do we keep 9 of them and disregard this one? Not keep this day holy?

under the new covenant, we are committed to the commandments of Jesus, not Moses.   We are not bound by the ten commandments any longer.....

Edited to add that if we live by his commandments of Love, not only will we not break 9 of the ten, we will not even want to....     As for the Sabbath, We are in his rest and that's all the time.

As for taking a day off, yes that is a good idea for our mental health, but it isn't a commandment to follow under this covenant.

At least that's the way i see the subject.  

That is true. But I still do not take His name in vain, have other idols, murder, steal, commit adultery, etc... the law is good still...right? 

If you love God with all your heart mind and soul, you would never even want to do that......   if you love your neighbor as yourself how could you do any of those things to them....

Read the last half of Matthew chapter 25, and tell me which if any the ten commandments did those people going to hell break.           You can keep the ten commandments all the days of your life and never break a single one and still go to hell.

The laws given to Moses taught people to fear God and do his commandments......    Jesus's laws of love teach us to do those things out of love not fear, and to want to do them not just out of fear.

The law of Moses says one must be killed for not keeping it holy. I do not believe we are to be under the law but it has benefit still and has practical benefits.

You are supposed to keep your entire life holy.  but if it makes you feel better go for it.......   but don't drag me down to one day.    You are starting to sound like a couple of SDA friends of mine.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  653
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/26/1977

I also believe in worship everyday. By all means!! I do not think we are bound by the law. Is it not one of the 10 commandments. Do we keep 9 of them and disregard this one? Not keep this day holy?

under the new covenant, we are committed to the commandments of Jesus, not Moses.   We are not bound by the ten commandments any longer.....

Edited to add that if we live by his commandments of Love, not only will we not break 9 of the ten, we will not even want to....     As for the Sabbath, We are in his rest and that's all the time.

As for taking a day off, yes that is a good idea for our mental health, but it isn't a commandment to follow under this covenant.

That is true. But I still do not take His name in vain, have other idols, murder, steal, commit adultery, etc... the law is good still...right? 

If you love God with all your heart mind and soul, you would never even want to do that......   if you love your neighbor as yourself how could you do any of those things to them....

Read the last half of Matthew chapter 25, and tell me which if any the ten commandments did those people going to hell break.           You can keep the ten commandments all the days of your life and never break a single one and still go to hell.

The laws given to Moses taught people to fear God and do his commandments......    Jesus's laws of love teach us to do those things out of love not fear, and to want to do them not just out of fear.

The law of Moses says one must be killed for not keeping it holy. I do not believe we are to be under the law but it has benefit still and has practical benefits.

You are supposed to keep your entire life holy.  but if it makes you feel better go for it.......   but don't drag me down to one day.    You are starting to sound like a couple of SDA friends of mine.

I'm sorry. With all sincerity. I believe that religion to be a cult and am not trying to drag you down. I am not even trying to get you to change your thoughts or anything of the like. I was just discussing what I think and feel about it. I am genuine in seeking the Lord and growing. I do not believe this to be a major doctrinal issue. I just personally find this commandment a personal benefit.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,088
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I'm sorry. With all sincerity. I believe that religion to be a cult and am not trying to drag you down. I am not even trying to get you to change your thoughts or anything of the like. I was just discussing what I think and feel about it. I am genuine in seeking the Lord and growing. I do not believe this to be a major doctrinal issue. I just personally find this commandment a personal benefit.

That did sound a bit tacky didn't it....   I'm sorry..  It's a really long story concerning my friends.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

There are many arguments about which day is the Sabbath day and whether it is still valid or not today. Any opinions? I use the Bible KJV and only texts from the Bible must be provided please to prove your point.

The Sabbath day is from friday evening to saturday evening.   But Jesus is the true Sabbath.   When I got saved, I entered into His rest.  I don't need the sabbath day when I have Jesus.

So you also agree that the Sabbath is from Friday evening to Saturday evening. I do not understand how you can say Jesus is the true Sabbath. The Sabbath is God's rest. How can Jesus be God's rest? Jesus is God's son. If we need to rest on the Sabbath like God, then we should rest on the Saturday, right?
Jesus is also God. He also was our Creator, with the Father and the Holy Spirit. They are one God.

Jesus rested from His work when He said "it is finished and died on the cross. He had obeyed our Father perfectly and He had kept all the commandments perfectly on our behalf.. He had paid for our sin on the cross and had put His righteousness on our account sheet. He had purchased us back from Satan with His blood. He also ratified the new covenant with His blood. The new covenant is all about what Jesus did for us, and not about anything we can do. By grace you have saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a GIFT of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 When we believe in Christ we trust Him and rely on Him.

When we turn from our sinful life to God for forgiveness, He gives us His own Spirit and His own life to live in us. We are born again.

He gives us new desires to want to live a life that brings Him praise. We are adopted into His family. No one has to keep the commandments to be saved. We want to keep them because we are already saved. God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Most Christians celebrate resurrection Sunday, First Fruits in the Jewish calandar and Easter Sunday in ours, and make Sunday our day of worship and rest for that reason. But there is nothing wrong in keeping Saturday. Paul spoke frequently of speaking to the Jews on Saturday mornings and speaking to the gentiles saturday afternoon and evening after sunset till midnight. Saturday evening was considered the first day to the Jews. He spoke of taking up an offering for the poor on the first day of the week when they were gathered together.

I hope this helps to clear up your confusion.

Willa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Why debate if the Sabbath is to be kept, as in the law, when Jesus gave us two new commandments that covers everything?

Matthew 22:34-40

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Mark 12:28-31

Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”

Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

Luke 10:25-27

And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”

He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”

So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”

When we learn to follow these two commandments, there will be no need to discuss what is sin and what is not.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  261
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  1

I think these Scripture verses are worth exploring for those who may want to take this a little further. My own thoughts are in quotes below but more importantly it behooves each Christian to be led by the Holy Spirit in order to understand the Scriptures for themselves.

1. Exodus 31:16-18

'Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.' " And when He had made an end of speaking with him on Mount Sinai, He gave Moses two tablets of the Testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.

The passage seems to indicate the Sabbath Day observance was perpetual - forever; at least with Israel.

2. Isaiah 56:2

Blessed is the man who does this,

And the son of man who lays hold on it;

Who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And keeps his hand from doing any evil.”

Isa 56:5-7

Even to them I will give in My house

And within My walls a place and a name

Better than that of sons and daughters;

I will give them an everlasting name

That shall not be cut off.

Also the sons of the foreigner

Who join themselves to the LORD, to serve Him,

And to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants—

Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,

And holds fast My covenant—

Even them I will bring to My holy mountain,

And make them joyful in My house of prayer.

Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices

Will be accepted on My altar;

For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations."

(a) A reaffirmation by the prophet Isaiah that the Sabbath observance is meant to be kept holy (separate to the Lord)

(b) Jesus quotes the last verse of this passage from Isaiah Himself when He threw the moneychangers out of the temple, the temple being a foreshadow of the temple, which is Jesus Himself.

Matthew 21:13 And He said to them, “It is written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Mark 11:17 Then He taught, saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Luke 19:46 saying to them, “It is written, ‘My house is a house of prayer,’ but you have made it a ‘den of thieves.’ ”

Matthew 12:8 “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Luke 6:5 And He said to them, “The Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath.”

a. So believe the Lord is temple and the Lord is with us. He is our Sabbath observance and our rest for He is Lord of the Sabbath.

b. No leagalism here.

c. But what about the perpetual Sabbath observance? Wasn't it forever?

d. It would appear so in the following passage from Isaiah

3. Isaiah 66:23

And it shall come to pass

That from one New Moon to another,

And from one Sabbath to another,

All flesh shall come to worship before Me,” says the LORD.

a. Believe this verse is speaking of the future, when all flesh shall come to worship the Lord.

b. Note: It is not lost on me that the Lord Himself rested in the tomb on the High Sabbath of Passover and the Sabbath Saturday, for that sabbath day was an high day, the first day of unleavened bread, followed by an ordinary Sabbath. All the Apostles, including Paul, seem to have observed the Sabbath. From Justin it appears that Gentile Christians met on the first day of the week to commemorate Jesus' resurrection.

"Therefore do not let anyone judge you … with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ" (Colossians 2:16-17).

At first glance Paul seems to be stating Sabbath day but a closer look at the context is not the Sabbath of perpetuity that the Lord gave for an integral ordinance within the 10 commandments. I believe the Sabbaths here were the Sabbaths of the Day of Atonement, feast of tabernacles, etc, that foreshadowed Christ. Now that Christ has come our atonement is through Him. Now that Christ has come our tabernacle is in Him. I do not think, however, that breaking or desecrating the Sabbath is okay from what I'm reading here; any more than being a Christian and murdering someone, stealing from someone, or committing adultery is somehow something that God would wink at. Keeping these things will not get me to heaven for I've already broken these commands but the perfect One who did fulfill the Law atoned these sins. That said should we continue in sin, as Paula says? God forbid. Keeping the Sabbath from what I've been able to glean is just as important as honoring thy father and mother and staying clear of covetness, etc. Now as far as I know the Sabbath was kept by Christians for 19 centuries. But there are 19th century sources that infer it is to be kept as well.

"the Sabbath"--Omit "THE," which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on JF & B for Galatians 4:10).

"SABBATHS" (not "the sabbaths") of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged ( Lev 23:32, 37-39 ). The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Leviticus 23:38 expressly distinguished "the sabbath of the Lord" from the other sabbaths.

A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Hebrews 4:9, "rests," Greek, "keeping of sabbath" ( Isaiah 66:23 ). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike ( Romans 13:8-10 ).]

Hope the references help brother

In Christ, Pat

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only thing I think I'll add as a caution is while we certainly are the temple of God in which the Holy Spirit abides the Spirit of God never contradicts Himself. Therefore what is found in the Scriptures, the Word of God, has also been spoken of by Jesus, the Word of God, and the Holy Spirit, since the Spirit testifies to what Jesus said and in what is found in the word of God. So personally I do believe we need to keep the Sabbath Holy, since it is perpetual - even after His 2nd coming. I know this is a point of disagreement but that is much more recent and for 1900 years the Sabbath was kept by Christians.

In Christ, Pat

Edited by Macs Son

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

There are many arguments about which day is the Sabbath day and whether it is still valid or not today. Any opinions? I use the Bible KJV and only texts from the Bible must be provided please to prove your point.

The Holy Ghost is The Lord of the Sabbath and Saturday is the seventh day of the week, the first being Sunday. Observing the Sabbath is to do with temple service and prayers. When the Holy Ghost dwells in the heart of the believer, then that faithful becomes the temple of the Holy Ghost. The faithful in communion with the Holy Ghost on a daily basis is observing The Lord of the Sabbath. Observing the Sabbath is in constant communion with the Holy Ghost.

What about Saturday?

It is 1 out of 7 days that the faithful is in communion with the Lord of the Sabbath. Is the 24 hour day that is Saturday important or is the Lord of the Sabbath important? Who is the central focus?

What did Jesus say to the Pharisees when they were so focused on the written word, the scriptures?

John 5:37-40

37And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39You studyc the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

You see the Pharisees observed their religious customs always searching in scriptures, but they were told the focus should be placed on the living Word of God. Since the living Word of God is The Lord of the Sabbath who us the Holy Ghost then we need to focus on him in observing the Sabbath spiritually. As Christ said you in me and I in you in spiritual marriage.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  95
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  01/09/1941

The Sabbath day is from friday evening to saturday evening.   But Jesus is the true Sabbath.   When I got saved, I entered into His rest.  I don't need the sabbath day when I have Jesus.

So you also agree that the Sabbath is from Friday evening to Saturday evening. I do not understand how you can say Jesus is the true Sabbath. The Sabbath is God's rest. How can Jesus be God's rest? Jesus is God's son. If we need to rest on the Sabbath like God, then we should rest on the Saturday, right?

what you don't seem to understand is that the Sabbath is a picture or foreshadowing of Jesus as our rest.   We rest in Christ for salvation, we rest in Him for all that we need.  Jesus is the epitome of God's rest.  He is what the Sabbath day was pointing to.  When we enter into Jesus, we are entering the rest God has provided for our hearts.

hi

the Sabbath day was a sanctified day to the Lord God ,but now since Christ the rule is that we are on a 24/7 schedules for their is nothing we do or think(should)  that is not in line with God's will ,

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Jesus is also God. He also was our Creator, with the Father and the Holy Spirit. They are one God.

Jesus rested from His work when He said "it is finished and died on the cross. He had obeyed our Father perfectly and He had kept all the commandments perfectly on our behalf.. He had paid for our sin on the cross and had put His righteousness on our account sheet. He had purchased us back from Satan with His blood. He also ratified the new covenant with His blood. The new covenant is all about what Jesus did for us, and not about anything we can do. By grace you have saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is a GIFT of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 When we believe in Christ we trust Him and rely on Him.

When we turn from our sinful life to God for forgiveness, He gives us His own Spirit and His own life to live in us. We are born again.

He gives us new desires to want to live a life that brings Him praise. We are adopted into His family. No one has to keep the commandments to be saved. We want to keep them because we are already saved. God demonstrated His love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Most Christians celebrate resurrection Sunday, First Fruits in the Jewish calandar and Easter Sunday in ours, and make Sunday our day of worship and rest for that reason. But there is nothing wrong in keeping Saturday. Paul spoke frequently of speaking to the Jews on Saturday mornings and speaking to the gentiles saturday afternoon and evening after sunset till midnight. Saturday evening was considered the first day to the Jews. He spoke of taking up an offering for the poor on the first day of the week when they were gathered together.

Willa

WilIa, Thanks for your reply. I have read many of the articles that were posted on this site as was suggested by some members and there are many different views, some that makes sense and others very confusing. 

I believe the following. Jesus was God. He has given up His Godly status when He became man. He died as man and was resurrected as man and is now sitting on the right hand side of God as man, as the High Priest.There are now two separate entities. The Holy Spirit on this earth did not exist until Jesus was resurrected. God's powers worked through Jesus Christ when He was on earth, and He received it when He was baptized. Only the people that accept Jesus Christ in their lives, the born again, receives this same power from Jesus Christ to work on earth ie. the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is the only way to God. Man cannot go direct to God by cutting Jesus out of the picture. I further believe that when you have accepted Jesus Christ in your life, He has written the law of God on your heart which means that you will want to live out the law that God has given to us as the law of God is the clear indication of what pure love is. Pure love to love God and to your neighbour. By not using His Name in vain, and not carving out statues and pray to them, and holding the Sabbath, your show your pure love to God, by not stealing, murdering, coveting etc, you show your pure love towards your neighbour. God was very specific with His Commandments, and He does not make mistakes, to show what this pure love is. If He thought that we could use any day to rest He would not have mentioned it in the Commandments, but He spesifically mentioned Sabbath, and that is linked to the first seventh day of creation, which incidentally was holied and blessed by God Himself, and this seven day cycle has never changed from creation up to now. The Saturday is the Sabbath and it is still valid and in line with God's Commandments and still needs to be respected, if we love God. Paul has also said that the Commandments be held until Jesus comes again and John said that nothing of the Commandments may be changed.There are many quotes in the Bible that if we love God, we will keep the Commandments, all of them, and not nine out of ten.

Satan is the master deceiver. He does not want people to be saved, to be children of God. That is why he is using his agents to spread the lies or theories, to create doubt in mankind's mind. His first victim was Eve and he tried his deception with Jesus Christ but failed, and that all by twisting the Word of God. We need to be very aware of what is being said and to compare it to God's Word and to see whether it is twisted or not. Satan is doing this as he knows that he has no chance in heaven anymore, and that he is going to be destroyed by fire and brimstone. He is doing everything in his power to destroy mankind as they still have a chance to enter the gates of heaven. The only way for mankind to survive these attacks from Satan, is to love and obey God, and God has given us the guidelines, the Ten Commandments. 

Guest shiloh357

Willa

WilIa, Thanks for your reply. I have read many of the articles that were posted on this site as was suggested by some members and there are many different views, some that makes sense and others very confusing. 

I believe the following. Jesus was God. He has given up His Godly status when He became man. He died as man and was resurrected as man and is now sitting on the right hand side of God as man, as the High Priest.There are now two separate entities. The Holy Spirit on this earth did not exist until Jesus was resurrected. God's powers worked through Jesus Christ when He was on earth, and He received it when He was baptized. Only the people that accept Jesus Christ in their lives, the born again, receives this same power from Jesus Christ to work on earth ie. the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Jesus Christ is the only way to God. Man cannot go direct to God by cutting Jesus out of the picture. I further believe that when you have accepted Jesus Christ in your life, He has written the law of God on your heart which means that you will want to live out the law that God has given to us as the law of God is the clear indication of what pure love is. Pure love to love God and to your neighbour. By not using His Name in vain, and not carving out statues and pray to them, and holding the Sabbath, your show your pure love to God, by not stealing, murdering, coveting etc, you show your pure love towards your neighbour. God was very specific with His Commandments, and He does not make mistakes, to show what this pure love is. If He thought that we could use any day to rest He would not have mentioned it in the Commandments, but He spesifically mentioned Sabbath, and that is linked to the first seventh day of creation, which incidentally was holied and blessed by God Himself, and this seven day cycle has never changed from creation up to now. The Saturday is the Sabbath and it is still valid and in line with God's Commandments and still needs to be respected, if we love God. Paul has also said that the Commandments be held until Jesus comes again and John said that nothing of the Commandments may be changed.There are many quotes in the Bible that if we love God, we will keep the Commandments, all of them, and not nine out of ten.

Satan is the master deceiver. He does not want people to be saved, to be children of God. That is why he is using his agents to spread the lies or theories, to create doubt in mankind's mind. His first victim was Eve and he tried his deception with Jesus Christ but failed, and that all by twisting the Word of God. We need to be very aware of what is being said and to compare it to God's Word and to see whether it is twisted or not. Satan is doing this as he knows that he has no chance in heaven anymore, and that he is going to be destroyed by fire and brimstone. He is doing everything in his power to destroy mankind as they still have a chance to enter the gates of heaven. The only way for mankind to survive these attacks from Satan, is to love and obey God, and God has given us the guidelines, the Ten Commandments. 

So what about policemen, firefighters, doctors, nurses, people in the military who are believers?   Many of them HAVE to work on the Sabbath.    They often cannot keep the Sabbath.   If the Sabbath is required, what about them?

So not keeping the Sabbath means you don't love God?

Tell me, what is the eternal destiny of believers who do not keep the Sabbath day?