• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

On 16 June 2016 at 1:05 AM, Ezra said:

How do you strive for unity of the faith when Five Point Calvinists obstruct it? If they would abandon their man-made doctrines, that might be a step in the right direction.  Of course, we know it won't happen, so all talk of unity becomes a sham.

I find people as believe in human freewill IMpossible to work with in evangelism, but I can unite with them in other matters...still love them.

Edited by TehMill

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  281
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

Actually the fact that there are so many denominations and creeds and doctrinal divisions is PROOF that Christians desire unity of fellowship, they unite around their theological positions from which they hope and endeavour to take on all comers in defence of the same.

....the problem arises when they sally forth to attack other little christian strongholds

All Christians can rally behind Christ ....it takes a little more grace to rally around His word. In truth Christ and His word are the same, when people say they LOVE God bigly I look at how they treat His word.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

On 7/6/2016 at 2:22 PM, seeking the lost said:

The point to ponder is, how do we determine that another person is wrong in what they believe and that we are absolutely correct in our beliefs?

Do we believe Jesus?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  494
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

21 minutes ago, 7thseal said:

Do we believe Jesus?

Each one of us believe that our understanding of what Jesus said is the correct and absolute truth.  Then we cannot allow anything outside of that to be tolerated or contemplated because of TRUTH.  Yes we believe Jesus.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,828
  • Content Per Day:  4.76
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

On 6/15/2016 at 4:00 PM, angels4u said:

What Is Christian Unity?

This was a question last week in the seekers forum ,what is Christian unity?

I found this article from John Piper  about and wonder if everybody thinks that is what Christian unity should be?

Please add scripture and let's strive for unity! 

Unity among two or more people gets its virtue entirely from something else. Unity itself is neutral until it is given goodness or badness by something else. So if Herod and Pilate are unified by their common scorn for Jesus (Luke 23:12), this is not a good unity. But if Paul and Silas sing together in prison for Christ’s sake (Acts 16:25), this is a good unity.

Therefore, it is never enough to call Christians to have unity. That may be good or bad. The unified vote fifty years ago in my home church in South Carolina to forbid blacks from attending services was not a good unity. The unified vote of a mainline Protestant denomination to bless forbidden sexual acts is not a good unity.

What Makes Unity Christian?

Christian unity in the New Testament gets its goodness from a combination of its source, its views, its affections, and its aims.

SOURCE

Paul tells us to “be eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace” (Ephesians 4:3). I take that to mean that the Holy Spirit is the great giver of unity. “In one Spirit we were all baptized into one body — Jews or Greeks, slaves or free — and all were made to drink of one Spirit” (1 Corinthians 12:13).

VIEWS

Paul says that pastors and teachers are to equip the saints “until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God” (Ephesians 4:13). In other words, the unity we pursue is unity in the truth. Of course, Christian unity is more than shared truth, but not less. Paul piles up the words for common-mindedness in Philippians 2:2, “Complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind” (see also Philippians 4:2). Everything is to “accord with Christ.” “May God . . . grant you to live in harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus” (Romans 15:5).

AFFECTIONS

To be sure, unifying love in the body of Christ includes a rugged commitment to do good for the family of God whether you feel like it or not (Galatians 6:10). But, as difficult as it is for diverse people, the experience of Christian unity is more than that. It includes affectionate love, not just sacrifice for those you don’t like. It is a feeling of endearment. We are to have affection for those who are our family in Christ. “Love one another with brotherly affection” (Romans 12:10). “Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart” (1 Peter 1:22). “All of you, have . . . sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind” (1 Peter 3:8).

AIMS

Spirit-rooted, Christ-manifesting, truth-cherishing, humbly-loving unity is designed by God to have at least two aims: a witness to the world, and an acclamation of the glory of God. The apostle John makes the first of these most clear. “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:34–35).

Piper: “Christian unity includes affectionate love, not just sacrifice for those you don’t like.”

Tweet

Jesus’s famous statements in John 17 are rooted in the profound spiritual unity between the Father and the Son, and with those whom God has chosen out of the world (John 17:6). “I ask that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me” (John 17:21). Note the witness to the world is that the disciples are in the Father and the Son so that the world might believe. This is vastly more — deeply more — than being related through a common organization.

The oneness that shines with self-authenticating glory for the world to see is union with the Father and the Son so that the glory of the Father and the Son is part of our lives. “The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one” (John 17:22). That glory is owing to this: “I in them and you [Father] in me” (John 17:23). From this union with God, and the glory it gives, shines something the world may see, if God gives them eyes to see. God’s aim for this vertically-rooted, horizontal, glory-displaying unity is that he might “gather into one the children of God scattered abroad” (John 11:52).

The ultimate aim of such Christian unity is the glory of God. Hence Paul prays, “May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God” (Romans 15:5–7).

What Implications Follow for Us?

1. SEEK THE FULLNESS OF THE UNITY-CREATING HOLY SPIRIT.

“Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18). Seek to be led by the Spirit and to bear the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:18, 22–23) for these are the cogs in the wheels of love. If you are a stranger to the Holy Spirit, you will care little for the unity he builds.

2. STRIVE TO KNOW AND SPREAD TRUE VIEWS OF CHRIST AND HIS WAYS.

Seek to “attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God” (Ephesians 4:13). “Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18). Share, by every means you can, what you see of Christ. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom” (Colossians 3:16).

3. LOVE CHRISTIANS ACROSS BOUNDARIES.

Cultivate affection across differences for those who are truly your brothers and sisters in Christ. Hate serious blunders, not sincere brothers. Humans have never been good at this. And the philosophical and emotional climate today makes it even harder — since truth claims are only seen as a cloak for power-grabbing. But consider what Spurgeon says and seek to become like him. Notice the intensity of hate and love.

Where the Spirit of God is there must be love, and if I have once known and recognized any man to be my brother in Christ Jesus, the love of Christ constraineth me no more to think of him as a stranger or foreigner, but a fellow citizen with the saints. Now I hate High Churchism as my soul hates Satan; but I love George Herbert, although George Herbert is a desperately High Churchman. I hate his High Churchism, but I love George Herbert from my very soul, and I have a warm corner in my heart for every man who is like him. Let me find a man who loves my Lord Jesus Christ as George Herbert did and I do not ask myself whether I shall love him or not; there is no room for question, for I cannot help myself; unless I can leave off loving Jesus Christ, I cannot cease loving those who love him. (The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit Sermons, vol. XII, 6)

4. SERVE CHRISTIANS ACROSS BOUNDARIES.

For the sake of a witness to the world, seek out ways to show love for brothers and sisters across boundaries — both the kind of boundaries that should be removed, and the kind of boundaries which commitment to the truth (and unity in the truth) forbids you to remove. Do this for the glory of God. Let Francis Schaeffer be your guide.

It is in the midst of a difference that we have our golden opportunity. When everything is going well and we are all standing around in a nice little circle, there is not much to be seen by the world. But when we come to the place where there is a real difference, and we exhibit uncompromised principles but at the same time observable love, then there is something that the world can see, something they can use to judge that these really are Christians, and that Jesus has indeed been sent by the Father. (Complete Works, vol. 4, 201, emphasis added)

Ambiguity and Hope

When all is said and done, ambiguities remain. What kinds of boundaries should define local churches, schools, denominations, conferences, para-church ministries, city-wide prayer gathering, evangelistic efforts? Nevertheless we are not without anchors. We are not without rudder and sails. We have the stars above and our trusty sextant. In reliance on the word and the Spirit, in humility we will arrive home — together.

He used the word hate as in : "Hate serious blunders, not sincere brothers,would you use that word?"

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/what-is-christian-unity

What is Christian unity?

Unity between brothers and sisters in Christ.

Unity between Christians and God.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

Look at all the un-Biblical ideas in the world.  See ? (don't "look" as if to value them, nor accept them, but just realize how pervasive and insidious they are, even in "churches" and on the forum) (see below)

On 6/15/2016 at 7:12 PM, Ezra said:

I'm not saying the article is at fault. What I'm saying is you can't promote unity while holding to beliefs which divide.

On 6/15/2016 at 7:42 PM, missmuffet said:

I research everyone that my eyes and my mind see as what is posted as Christian teaching. I think it is just safe that way.

Beliefs that are "darkness" and not "LIGHT" cannot have fellowship with "LIGHT".  Period. 

No fellowship, no unity.

On 6/15/2016 at 7:10 PM, angels4u said:

What if you would read the article not knowing John Piper is Calvinist? 

Wouldn't matter , did not matter at all.   The underlying 'spirit' behind the article is insidiously fleshly/ dark. (as proven by testing by others already noted)

On 6/15/2016 at 3:50 PM, angels4u said:

Should we live in unity?

And how do you think we can make that happen?

Do you think we can have unity here in Worthy ?

No.

We cannot make that happen.

No.  (Notice IN THE NEW TESTAMENT,  FEW (not many) lived by faith and not by sight.  Same TODAY.)
(Same ever since then, all along)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

14 hours ago, simplejeff said:

Look at all the un-Biblical ideas in the world.  See ? (don't "look" as if to value them, nor accept them, but just realize how pervasive and insidious they are, even in "churches" and on the forum) (see below)

Beliefs that are "darkness" and not "LIGHT" cannot have fellowship with "LIGHT".  Period. 

No fellowship, no unity.

Wouldn't matter , did not matter at all.   The underlying 'spirit' behind the article is insidiously fleshly/ dark. (as proven by testing by others already noted)

No.

We cannot make that happen.

No.  (Notice IN THE NEW TESTAMENT,  FEW (not many) lived by faith and not by sight.  Same TODAY.)
(Same ever since then, all along)

Do you think we can  strive for unity?

Romans 12:16-18

16 Live in peace with each other. Do not be proud, but make friends with those who seem unimportant. Do not think how smart you are.

17 If someone does wrong to you, do not pay him back by doing wrong to him. Try to do what everyone thinks is right. 18 Do your best to live in peace with everyone.

Do Not Judge
1Do not judge, or you will be judged. 2For with the same judgment you pronounce, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.…Matt.7:1

Imitators of God
1Be imitators of God, therefore, as beloved children,2and walk in love, just as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us as a fragrant sacrificial offering to God.…Eph.5:1

The Great Commission
14Later as they were eating, Jesus appeared to the eleven and rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they did not believe those who had seen Him after He had risen. 15And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.…Mark 16:14-16

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

Hi angels4u,

I believe there are two aspects to the unity of God`s word -The unity of the Spirit & the unity of the Faith. (Eph. 4: 3 & 13) Both are connected. Having read the comments here I see that some people talk about the `unity of the Spirit,` while others are discussing the `unity of the Faith.`

The Unity of the Spirit. 

I believe we stand in unity together by the Holy Spirit - `God has set the members each one of them, in the body just as He pleased.` (1 Cor. 12: 18) So that is why the Apostle Paul tells us - `to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.` (Eph. 4: 3)

The Unity of the Faith.

Now because the Holy Spirit is leading the body into all truth, there will be differences till each truth is brought clarification across the body. How wonderful it is to see back through the years & centuries what the Holy Spirit has done in bringing great truths of the Lord & His purposes, to the Body of Christ.

Thus I see, the unity of the Spirit is where we all stand, only by Him alone. Then as we grow in receiving truth the whole Body will come to understand all the truth of Christ & His purposes. This is a maturing process, by the Holy Spirit in individual lives & across the Body of Christ.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 12/13/2016 at 0:28 PM, angels4u said:

Do you think we can  strive for unity?

Read these excerpts found by search "in union" on biblegateway (various translations, all in agreement - no conflict and no contradiction)   Follow up with your own search if possible in whatever translation you like to read - "IN UNION" occurs often in SCRIPTURE, and is real and true and right, for YHWH'S PEOPLE OT and NT as HIS WORD says.   This includes BLAMELESS and PERFECT ecclesia (believers) now, today on earth,  same as then.

They did not 'strive' for unity.  Especially not with either disobedient ones nor with non-believers.  Instead,  from being gentiles without hope in the world, 

they became ALIVE in Y'SHUA (JESUS) MESSIAH by YHWH'S DOING (gift, sheer grace) , no stress !!!(they laid down their lives for one another - they did not strive against YHWH or against each other - and they (often) shared all things in common as shown in ACTS first -  they MET ONE ANOTHER'S NEEDS DAILY ) (and , of course, they WILLINGLY DIED WITH JOY FOLLOWING JESUS, WITH NO FEAR NOR DOUBT) .......

They lived in union with one another in Y'SHUA,  in HARMONY and PEACE and JOY, as it is written all throughout the NEW TESTAMENT,  BY YHWH'S PLAN, PURPOSE and SALVATION IN Y'SHUA MESSIAH.

This is YHWH'S DOING,  not of man,  and no man may boast of it.  

(It is not seen today, of course, for many reasons.  No amount of effort nor striving can make it happen.)

Ephesians 1-2Good News Translation (GNT)

1 From Paul, who by God's will is an apostle of Christ Jesus—

To God's people in Ephesus,[a] who are faithful in their life in union with Christ Jesus:

2 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.
Spiritual Blessings in Christ

3 Let us give thanks to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! For in our union with Christ he has blessed us by giving us every spiritual blessing in the heavenly world.
==========================================================4 Even before the world was made, God had already chosen us to be his through our union with Christ, so that we would be holy and without fault before him.
=====================================================
Because of his love 5 God had already decided that through Jesus Christ he would make us his children—this was his pleasure and purpose. 

6 Let us praise God for his glorious grace, for the free gift he gave us in his dear Son! 7 For by the blood of Christ[c] we are set free, that is, our sins are forgiven. How great is the grace of God, 8 which he gave to us in such large measure!
========================================================
In all his wisdom and insight 9 God did what he had purposed, and made known to us the secret plan he had already decided to complete by means of Christ. 10 This plan, which God will complete when the time is right, is to bring all creation together, everything in heaven and on earth, with Christ as head.
==========================================================
11 All things are done according to God's plan and decision; and God chose us to be his own people in union with Christ because of his own purpose
===========================================================
13 And you also became God's people when you heard the true message, the Good News that brought you salvation. You believed in Christ, and God put his stamp of ownership on you by giving you the Holy Spirit he had promised. 
===========================================================
From Death to Life

2 In the past you were spiritually dead because of your disobedience and sins. 2 At that time you followed the world's evil way; you obeyed the ruler of the spiritual powers in space, the spirit who now controls the people who disobey God. 3 Actually all of us were like them and lived according to our natural desires, doing whatever suited the wishes of our own bodies and minds. In our natural condition we, like everyone else, were destined to suffer God's anger.

4 But God's mercy is so abundant, and his love for us is so great, 5 that while we were spiritually dead in our disobedience he brought us to life with Christ. It is by God's grace that you have been saved.
=============================================

6 In our union with Christ Jesus he raised us up with him to rule with him in the heavenly world. 7 He did this to demonstrate for all time to come the extraordinary greatness of his grace in the love he showed us in Christ Jesus. 8-9 For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts, but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it. 10 God has made us what we are, and in our union with Christ Jesus he has created us for a life of good deeds, which he has already prepared for us to do.
================================================

11 You Gentiles by birth—called “the uncircumcised” by the Jews, who call themselves the circumcised (which refers to what men do to their bodies)—remember what you were in the past. 12 At that time you were apart from Christ. 
================================================

You were foreigners and did not belong to God's chosen people.

and you lived in this world without hope and without God. 

13 But now, in union with Christ Jesus you, who used to be far away, have been brought near by the blood of Christ.[e] 

18 It is through Christ that all of us, Jews and Gentiles, are able to come in the one Spirit into the presence of the Father.

19 So then, you Gentiles are not foreigners or strangers any longer; you are now citizens together with God's people and members of the family of God. 

22 In union with him you too are being built together with all the others into a place where God lives through his Spirit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1 Corinthians 1-3Good News Translation (GNT)

1 From Paul, who was called by the will of God to be an apostle of Christ Jesus, and from our brother Sosthenes—

2 To the church of God which is in Corinth, to all who are called to be God's holy people, who belong to him in union with Christ Jesus, together with all people everywhere who worship our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

3 May God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ give you grace and peace.

4 I always give thanks to my God for you because of the grace he has given you through Christ Jesus. 5 For in union with Christ you have become rich in all things,

6 The message about Christ has become so firmly established in you 7 that you have not failed to receive a single blessing, as you wait for our Lord Jesus Christ to be revealed. 8 He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be faultless on the Day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is to be trusted, the God who called you to have fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ, our Lord.

10 By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ I appeal to all of you, my friends, to agree in what you say, so that there will be no divisions among you. Be completely united, with only one thought and one purpose.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12 Let me put it this way: each one of you says something different. One says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Peter”; and another, “I follow Christ.” 13 Christ has been divided[a] into groups! Was it Paul who died on the cross for you? Were you baptized as Paul's disciples?

26 Now remember what you were, my friends, when God called you. From the human point of view few of you were wise or powerful or of high social standing. 27 God purposely chose what the world considers nonsense in order to shame the wise, and he chose what the world considers weak in order to shame the powerful. 28 He chose what the world looks down on and despises and thinks is nothing, in order to destroy what the world thinks is important. 

30 But God has brought you into union with Christ Jesus, and God has made Christ to be our wisdom. By him we are put right with God; we become God's holy people and are set free. 31 So then, as the scripture says, “Whoever wants to boast must boast of what the Lord has done.”

1 Thessalonians 3 
It was your faith that encouraged us, 8 because now we really live if you stand firm in your life in union with the Lord.

13 In this way he will strengthen you, and you will be perfect and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all who belong to him.

4 Finally, our friends, you learned from us how you should live in order to please God. This is, of course, the way you have been living. And now we beg and urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to do even more. 2 For you know the instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus.

7 God did not call us to live in immorality, but in holiness. 8 So then, whoever rejects this teaching is not rejecting a human being, but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.

9 There is no need to write you about love for each other. You yourselves have been taught by God how you should love one another. 10 And you have, in fact, behaved like this toward all the believers in all of Macedonia. So we beg you, our friends, to do even more. 11 Make it your aim to live a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to earn your own living, just as we told you before. 12 In this way you will win the respect of those who are not believers, and you will not have to depend on anyone for what you need.

Galatians 3:24-6:18Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

24 Accordingly, the Torah functioned as a custodian until the Messiah came, so that we might be declared righteous on the ground of trusting and being faithful. 25 But now that the time for this trusting faithfulness has come, we are no longer under a custodian.

26 For in union with the Messiah, you are all children of God through this trusting faithfulness; 27 because as many of you as were immersed into the Messiah have clothed yourselves with the Messiah

28 there is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor freeman, neither male nor female; for in union with the Messiah Yeshua, you are all one. 29 Also, if you belong to the Messiah, you are seed of Avraham and heirs according to the promise.

6 Now because you are sons, God has sent forth into our hearts the Spirit of his Son, the Spirit who cries out, “Abba!” (that is, “Dear Father!”). 7 So through God you are no longer a slave but a son, and if you are a son you are also an heir.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

On 6/15/2016 at 3:00 PM, angels4u said:

What Is Christian Unity?

This was a question last week in the seekers forum ,what is Christian unity?

Following the head of the body.... not the body trying to relocate the head. 

Body of Christ, there's only one way for the body to work proper. :)