• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

19 hours ago, nudgee said:

Why don't you ask his spirit, who lives in you.

Excellent answer.

For those who have tattoos it is also a good answer as God looks at the heart and what is inside not the outward person.  Personally I do not have any tattoos as my grandfather a very wise man said it was something one should never do. I do have a grown son that got tattoos and as much as it disappointed me I still love him dearly and would not deny my love for him over it. 1Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

21 hours ago, nudgee said:

Why don't you ask his spirit, who lives in you.

What A wonderful answer!!

On 3/14/2017 at 9:14 AM, OneLight said:

Since we are told to follow the example of Jesus, I have to ask, did Jesus have tattoos?

NO

he came to be the Passover lamb which means he would be without blemish so No i don't think he did

• Followers:  53
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  4,064
  • Content Per Day:  1.37
  • Days Won:  8

On 3/14/2017 at 10:10 AM, No124get1952 said:

You have asked a question for there is no scriptural answer. That means that there is no Bible verse that says He did not. However, Jesus was a Jew and followed all the Jewish traditions of faith. As a matter of growing up as a Jewish boy, he would have been required to memorize the first 5 books of the Hebrew Bible (also called the Torah), generally believed to be Genesis, Exodus. Leviticus, Deuteronomy and Numbers (all written by Moses). Since the laws were all contained in these 5 books, Jesus would have read and studied the one about tattoos.

One other thing needs to be noted here. Jesus' mission in life was to be the sacrificial lamb for the sins of all mankind. Hebrew tradition says that a sacrifice for sin must be perfect, without blemish. I believe (my opinion) is that Jesus did NOT have any tattoos or other markings on His body because the Bible says in Hebrews that He was tempted in ALL ways like we are, yet without sin.

When I was in the Navy, I was temped to get a tattoo. But I resisted because in those days nearly all the tattoos were black and green and involved snakes, skulls, MOM and other UGLY stuff.  So my resistance was not spiritual at all. Personally, even though I have seen many tattoo masterpieces, my question is why? If you decorate your body, who is really getting the glory? Even if you cover yourself with Jesus tattoos, you are still drawing attention to YOUR body. I would only do that if I knew absolutely that was how God wanted me to witness.

Of greater beauty are those rare Christians who have love, joy, peace, patience....etc. you know, the fruits of the Spirit. These flow from the inside out and are more miraculous and beautiful because they are exhibited even in the midst of great trial and tribulation, when people need to experience the "real" Jesus and not a 2-D beautiful tattoo.

What God has highlighted in your heart is a desire to represent Him. You are a treasure to God and He wants you to be pure, powerful, prophic, peaceful and proactive in reaching lost and hurting souls for Jesus!!!

Blessings

A Very nice and detailed response. I Agree with all of it.

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Exo 20:4, Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

"or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above,"

Guest shiloh357

In the Bible, tattoos were really something only the pagans did and usually it was the pagan priests who tattooed the images of their gods on their bodies.  The Jews did not practice that.

Jesus would have violated the law had he got a tattoo and in violating the law of God, he would have been disqualified to be our Savior.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

30 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

In the Bible, tattoos were really something only the pagans did and usually it was the pagan priests who tattooed the images of their gods on their bodies.  The Jews did not practice that.

Jesus would have violated the law had he got a tattoo and in violating the law of God, he would have been disqualified to be our Savior.

Exactly, which is why I asked the question.  Since we are being made into His image, we must put the old man away and allow His new creation to grow.  When we hold onto the old man, we hinder that process.  Yes, we all have part of our old selves still ingrained in us, and it is a process to give it all up and place them at His feet, but if we do love Him as we all claim, that should be our goal.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

I have no problems with tattoos neither physically or spiritually - unless they are displayed on part of the body that should not be displayed or if they are of vulgar or demonic representation.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

Our pastor has Lev 19:28 tattooed on the inside of his forearm

Every time he holds his arm out it is visible.

I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand he has put it on his arm to start a conversation about how we are not under the law any more. It is intended to lead a discussion ultimately to "we are forgiven"

I get what he is getting at and he is using that as one of his tools to create an opportunity to share the gospel. He has a conversation all ready to move that along and it works well ..............for him.

On the other hand I read how Paul describes in both his letter to the Romans and the Corinthians about how we are no longer under the law and that if we want to eat meat offered to idols go ahead because it is only food and we have a strong enough faith to realize that.

Our pastor having that tattoo gets that, but here is the rub for me.....Paul in his letters also says that not all of us have a strong enough faith to realize that the food is only food and not sinning by taking part in offering sacrifice to false gods. But because there is a chance Paul may lead someone who doesn't understand that astray, due to their weaker faith....he won't eat it. He doesn't want to take the chance......Our pastor has an explanation down pat, but what about those in the congregation that have to explain to others or even understand why he is "breaking the law".What about those that simply think "hey the pastors breaking the rule so I can too".....  I think the pastor, by his actions and inability to explain to everyone that sees his tattoo, particularly from afar, is confusing some people and possibly inadvertently leading some people, in their own hearts, into sin.

I have to agree with the post that asks "why the tattoo?" I don't have one because I'm of the opinion that it is to draw attention to oneself. It's almost always....even to great fan fare "revealed".

Still ......some of it is real cool and I have often started a conversation by asking someone about their tattoo.

Edited by Mike 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Mike....

But because there is a chance Paul may lead someone who doesn't understand that astray, due to their weaker faith....he won't eat it. He doesn't want to take the chance

I understand what you are saying & it also brings to mind.......

1 Thessalonians 5:22King James Version (KJV)

22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Especially for a Pastor,imo                                                                                                                 With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  7,689
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  20

On 3/13/2017 at 5:24 AM, Andy_d said:

What do you think about this style of tattoo? Is it insulting to Jesus?

People in the OLD TESTAMENT sometimes sinned without knowing they sinned.   There were instructions given by YHWH in TORAH for that case also --- as soon as someone finds out or is made aware that they sinned , they are instructed to repent of it.

Some people may get a tattoo either before they are saved, or afterwards, but before realizing it is rebellion against JESUS.    Then, later,  when they find out it is sin, they can repent of it,  as YHWH'S WORD directs.