IGNORED

Do You Live Close to Where you Were Born?

Annette

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  7

10 minutes ago, Willa said:

I moved from the other side of Washington state, about 5 or 6 hours away.  75 inches of rainfall per year where I was born and between 5 and 7 inches of rain per year here.   It is about 55 miles from where we grew up, though.  

Hi Willa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us. It is great reading through the posts, seeing where people are now and where they started out. It is interesting seeing the difference in rainfall over the 55-mile distance from where you grew up to where you are now.  Do you notice any other changes in vegetation with the change in rainfall from where you were, to where you are now?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,453
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  09/23/1991

22 minutes ago, Annette said:

Do you still have a lot of family then all living nearby too?

Yes, most of them live within a 40 km (~25 miles) radius from my house.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Dec 3 (wee hours of the A.M.), 1972, Berry Creek (outside Oroville Ca.). That's where the seed was planted and became alive to God's Word but it took 15 months of some further darkness till  I said 'yes' to Jesus...Mar 17, 1974 Monitor, Wa., just outside of Wenatchee, Wa.

Thanks for sharing that Yowm! 

Reading your story about it taking 15 months for the seed to come alive, is such an encouragement. I think often times we want to tell others about the Lord and see an immediate change. 

Just yesterday we were reminded that there will be times that we are called to share our faith with others whether or not we see the outcome of it or not. Sometimes that sharing sows a seed. And sometimes once that seed is sown we just have to give it time. And trust God!

Blessings :) 

Always be prepared.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, 4LdKHVCzRDj2 said:

Yes, most of them live within a 40 km (~25 miles) radius from my house.

That is awesome 4L I know of many people who live far from family members. You are blessed! My brother lives over 2000 miles from where we are now. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Misunderstanding.   I was born on the Pacific coast and moved inland when I was an infant, a 6 hour drive or 360 miles.   I now live an hour's drive from where I grew up which had a lot of springs, large trees and was near the mountains, foot hills, wheat land and pasture and about 23" of rain per year.  We now live on the conflux of large rivers that flow through desert and sage steppe habitat with a lot of rabbit brush and some cactus and native Juniper.   But we have irrigation around us and a lot of agriculture.  We grow grapes, apples, wheat and potatoes mostly.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Willa said:

Misunderstanding.   I was born on the Pacific coast and moved inland when I was an infant, a 6 hour drive or 360 miles.   I now live an hour's drive from where I grew up which had a lot of springs, large trees and was near the mountains, foot hills, wheat land and pasture and about 23" of rain per year.  We now live on the conflux of large rivers that flow through desert and sage steppe habitat with a lot of rabbit brush and some cactus and native Juniper.   But we have irrigation around us and a lot of agriculture.  We grow grapes, apples, wheat and potatoes mostly.

Sorry for the confusion. And thanks for the clarification and the additional detail. :) The grapes and apples sound so delicious!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

27 minutes ago, Annette said:

Hi Ayin Jade, I wondered if I would meet anyone who had been from Alaska here. I have only met one family so far that have lived in Alaska. It is great reading about how people have moved and where they have settled.

Great that you got to travel to Norway too :)

Norway was cool. I saw the ancestral farm where my grandpa was born, which is now in the hands of other family members. I met all sorts of cousins etc over there. I was even a paid fruit picker on another farm too one summer. Fun job. Camped in hardangervidda (largest mountain plateau in europe) which is above the timberline. Gorgeous wild area. 

Alaska is the same lattitude as norway but much colder due to the lack of the gulf stream that norway gets. I could swim in the fjord in norway but I couldnt swim in alaska. Alaska is also very wild. I love the frontier. So beautiful there too. I actually got paid to go camping in the wilderness of alaska. Ok so I had to work too lol but still it was like a vacation to be out there. I was in sitka, the old russian capital. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,170
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Annette said:

That is interesting Other One. Thanks for sharing. It must be great having memories all created to and linked to areas where you live. Do you still have other families that live in the area too? It could make for some fun family get-togethers over holidays and birthdays. 

We have a family reunion every year.  Have since 1959.  This year there were about a hundred of us.... aunts uncles cousins and their families.  People come from all over the country. 

I graduated with 45 people and at our 50th class reunion there was about 30.  36 of us started in the first grade and went through all 12 years together.

In college we had a group of 4 couples that was very close....   all 4 couples got married in 1970 and keep in touch.  One couple we live in the same town and attend the same church and eat out nearly every Friday night....  I have been blessed with a very close relationships with both family and friends

Btw all4 couples are still married,  had two kids each and all are believers... even our kids.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,229
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

9 hours ago, shiloh357 said:

On the same street and next door to the house my parents owned when I was born. How's that for close?

Been around the world and now everything has come full circle.

so could you give it in feet :happyhappy: 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, Annette said:

At church the other day the pastor asked us to respond by raising our hands,  :th_wave: as to whether we still lived within a 20-mile radius of where we were born. 

It is always good to learn about others on here, :clap: so thought I would pass the question along. 

I was born in Johannesburg, South Africa so quite a few time zones away from where I am living now. 

Blessings :)

6000 km  flying...

• Thumbs Up 1