• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Which is more likely to bring souls to Christ? 

As we evangelize to unbelievers, it's worth thinking about. 

What brought you to Jesus Christ?

Hello Melinda12,

I don't know what is more likely to bring in souls.

I identify with Romans 1&2, especially 2 where it says: "4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?"

This is in context of Romans overall and a direct continuation of the Romans 1 list of evil that I am capable of.  Paul immediately follows the list with "You who sit in judgement of such are guilty of the same things yourself".

My journey with Jesus started so many years ago that I can't remember the motivations at that time, but I can say with certainty that the verse quoted above has proved itself many times in my life and in the eternal lives of others.  The riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience draw people to him.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.37

10 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Thanks. I am very shy actually. I wish i had the gift of public speaking and great energy. I have none. So one to one quiet evangelizing is my way. Slow but i do my best. I am just bursting to tell troubled people they have such help and comfort available with Christ and that they are loved.

Hi Melinda
I too am shy and don't have the best verbal skills.  But, I use what I know are my strengths which is listening and encouragement. I go about it using a message of hope and love. It also has to be someone I know on some level.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

11 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

What brought you to Jesus Christ? For me it was pain and need for hope and comfort that i realised this world could never give me. For all my life before that moment that i came to accept Jesus as Saviour, if any Christian ever used fear along with quotes from the Bible at me i used to send them packing and close my mind. I suspect that is what happens a lot. When i met kind loving serene Christians though, i remember i would wonder what had they got that seemed so good? Now i know. 

So that is the basis of my evangelizings. I listen, do not judge, empathise and quietly tell my testimony. It works. It sets a seed surely in the mind of an unbeliever. They must think maybe they don't need to struggle alone. 

That's what i think anyhow. I don't want to be the obvious classic image of a Christian. Think of characters on TV programmes - like Dot Cotton on Eastenders. She was always going around quoting verses of Scripture at people and was always dismissed as a slightly foolish harmless eccentric. Like people with a sandwich board in tiwn centres shouting 'repent for the kingdom of God is nigh!' It does not work. You and i know it is the truth but unbelievers remain unmoved usually. What is required is connection with them, engagement in conversation so they see who Jesus is. 

I did not mean this to be such a long post but i feel strongly about these aspects. 

I think more people respond to honey rather than vinegar.  That being said, the fire and brimstone does do the job on quite a few as well.  I think when it comes to how we go forward, it should be as led by the Holy Spirit.  It is not our job to convince anyone of anything, we have to let God be God.

God bless

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

2 hours ago, DustyRoad said:

Before I answer the question you raised, let me say how much I enjoyed reading your post. It wasn't excessive in length, Melinda12. Don't feel bad! :)

God started calling me when I was 26 years old. When this happened I felt like a little kid so I guess one could say "coming home" was what brought me to Christ. Hope!

I heard the Gospel, was baptized in water, and four years later turned around and started running away from Jesus Christ. I ran so far that I fell into my sins for twenty years. I kept running and falling and became very, very sick and was on the verge of dying --- until I decided to return the life I ruined to the one I abandoned, that is. Christ was waiting at that place for me. So once more, hope! Hope even in the shadow of the valley of death: nothing is impossible to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Fear is what the Lord delivered me from. We recognize fear in different ways: a measure of it is wise because the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. In my case, however, fear ruled me. I was afraid of rejection so I didn't dare come before God for twenty years. I thought the Lord hated me for running away. Little did I know!

Hope, not fear. :)  

I am inspired by your honesty. Running to God instead of away is the way. This world cannot take our fear away but Jesus doess. If we ask sincerely. This will never cease to amaze me. Whenever i flounder, i cry out to Him and He helps me. Though i do not deserve it. What an amazing gift! 

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

A couple years ago, a buddy and I were cave diving in Florida. He is a really strong Christian who attends a non-denominational mega church. He often witnesses to strangers in stores, on the street, wherever, which is good. What's bad is during that trip, a girl who was working in the hotel told us she was a Christian and shared a beautiful story of how she came to Jesus. Her life hit rock bottom. She had a "Jesus take the wheel moment" and God gave her a sign. I forget what happened now because what I remember the most is my buddy quizzing her on her scriptural beliefs. Was every word in the Bible literal or was there room to interpret? Did God write the Bible or inspire men through the spirit? He didn't like her answers, schooled her into tears, and I chewed him out for it where we almost came to blows. I don't understand a witnessing style that reduces even professed Christians to tears.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,640
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

What brought you to Jesus Christ?

Interesting series of thoughts and presentations.

as I look at it I find the simplest answer is God the Holy Spirit brought me to Christ Jesus.  It was God alone.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.87
  • Days Won:  5

3 hours ago, wingnut- said:

I think more people respond to honey rather than vinegar.  That being said, the fire and brimstone does do the job on quite a few as well.  I think when it comes to how we go forward, it should be as led by the Holy Spirit.  It is not our job to convince anyone of anything, we have to let God be God.

God bless

Early in the first Book of the New Testament , Matthew ,and early in the writings of Paul , the Bad News was delivered before the Good News.No coincidence.Jesus showed if you even had a lustful thought you were as bad as an adulterer and Paul revealed “ there is not even ONE who is good- no, not one”. Why search for any “ Good News” about being saved if you are unaware that you are lost?

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

15 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

What brought you to Jesus Christ? For me it was pain and need for hope and comfort that i realised this world could never give me. For all my life before that moment that i came to accept Jesus as Saviour, if any Christian ever used fear along with quotes from the Bible at me i used to send them packing and close my mind. I suspect that is what happens a lot. When i met kind loving serene Christians though, i remember i would wonder what had they got that seemed so good? Now i know. 

So that is the basis of my evangelizings. I listen, do not judge, empathise and quietly tell my testimony. It works. It sets a seed surely in the mind of an unbeliever. They must think maybe they don't need to struggle alone. 

That's what i think anyhow. I don't want to be the obvious classic image of a Christian. Think of characters on TV programmes - like Dot Cotton on Eastenders. She was always going around quoting verses of Scripture at people and was always dismissed as a slightly foolish harmless eccentric. Like people with a sandwich board in tiwn centres shouting 'repent for the kingdom of God is nigh!' It does not work. You and i know it is the truth but unbelievers remain unmoved usually. What is required is connection with them, engagement in conversation so they see who Jesus is. 

I did not mean this to be such a long post but i feel strongly about these aspects. 

I think different people need to be treated differently.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  2

It was a hell, fire and brimstone message about missing the rapture that caused me to accept Jesus.

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Content Count:  2,280
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Early in the first Book of the New Testament , Matthew ,and early in the writings of Paul , the Bad News was delivered before the Good News.No coincidence.Jesus showed if you even had a lustful thought you were as bad as an adulterer and Paul revealed “ there is not even ONE who is good- no, not one”. Why search for any “ Good News” about being saved if you are unaware that you are lost?

The good news is Jesus can deliver you from lust, not that you will be saved while full of lust.