does God actually forgive?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I just recently had an experience with this that has to be shared....My understanding is sin is forgiven and forgotten. I can t go into detail given the subject but this happened to me this week....

In the middle of working I had a mental flash of myself martyred. It was horrible and I was scared because it preyed on my fears..but I pulled it together and accepted that that might be my fate as a witness.

Then in my image I realized it was not me, it was my daughter treated to the same and I had to accept her death as a potential cost as well.

And then I saw how the method of martyrdom was a projection/consequence of the actual sin I had committed and NOT about my fears at all, and the imagery became explicit to what I did, and I am helped by the horror/memory to avoid that sin in future settings.

Then I understood how that particular thing explained a situation in the Word I never thought of ,but really don't want to go there.

By this progression, which I can only attribute to the work of the Spirit, sin was replaced in me by something so much grander -strength ,understanding, and true connectedness to the Spirit- that I don't even feel guilty now! - there's no room.

I did and that's over.

Guilt, now, would only rob what it has been replaced with..but It takes the right response at each interval and then the understanding comes together that is beyond the initial grasp

And I walk away raised up, having been served.

And I want to share it with others and I want you to feel this way.

That's how I know.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I think what you said is true.  Now you have to put that into action.  Thank God everyday for His forgivness In your life.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  143
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

So, does God actually forgive may sound like a strange question. Scripture indicates that he does. But really, is it not true that God only forgives after he has punished sin?. So really he doesn't out and out forgive the sin he actually punishes it first.

So really, are our sins forgiven? In a sense no, they are punished upon Jesus so that the punishment does not have to go on us.

Maybe that makes no sense, that's the best I can explain for now. If someone can help me out would be appreciated.

S

Atonement/retribution/sacrifice/death is what you do in the flesh, and that has all been fulfilled/condemned/paid for -- Jesus purchased us.

The only way you pay for forgiveness now is through repentance in the spirit. And some might argue that the only way you follow the law now is in the spirit, as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  41,069
  • Content Per Day:  7.97
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Thanks to everyone who has responded to me. You have been a great help. I think now I have a good understanding of this.

Thank you

All of the meditations of Scripture are without conclusion but always a deeper more intimate reality that beckons us all

to reap the reward of the riches contained therein without end...

Prov 25:2-3

2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings

is to search out a matter. 3 The heaven for height, and the earth for

depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.

KJV

The reality with God is that sin has no place... it was born out of a being that perverted his gifting

as though it was his own and in that lie/perversion he became lost in his own perversion and we know him

by the name satan... he who has beginning tried to replace Him Who 'IS' without beginning and to the children

I teach-> they clearly see the stupidity in the perversion of that which >is not< trying to be that which 'IS'...

The substance of truth is self evident in that lie 'IS' totally dependent of truth first being in order

for it to exist. This is what 'IS' called the perfect absolute and I use it often in apologetics. Also

discovered is the present effort in trying to proclaim 'there is no absolutes' which requires the 'not' to

be absolute... leaving the same stupidity how can the not be the 'IS'... Love, Steven

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

8The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
            Slow to anger and abounding in lovingkindness.

9He will not always strive with us,
            Nor will He keep His anger forever.

10He has not dealt with us according to our sins,
            Nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

11For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
            So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.

12As far as the east is from the west,
            So far has He removed our transgressions from us.

13Just as a father has compassion on his children,
            So the LORD has compassion on those who fear Him.

14For He Himself knows our frame;
            He is mindful that we are but dust.

Psalm 103

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  5,457
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  37

Remember Jesus taught us to pray "Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us."      These are powerful words.   If we do not forgive those who sin against us, then we were taught to pray in a manner that would mean our sins will not be forgiven either.

Jesus teaches this same concept in the parable of the unmerciful servant:

Matthew 18:21-35New International Version (NIV) The Parable of the Unmerciful Servant

21 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[a]

23 “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold[b] was brought to him. 25 Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.

26 “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ 27 The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.

28 “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins.[c] He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded.

29 “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’

30 “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31 When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened.

32 “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33 Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ 34 In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed.

35 “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Forgiveness

I know it is hard to forgive someone that may have wronged you or has done something bad to you or someone you care about. We may not forgive that person at that very moment, but over time we should be able to forgive them for what they have done. We also need to forgive ourselves for wronging someone and ask them for their forgiveness at the same time.

(Mat 6:14)  For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:

(Mat 6:15)  But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Christ taught that if we cannot forgive people who do wrong to us, how can we expect The Most High to forgive us for the wrongs we have done?

In the book of Matthew, Peter asked Christ how many times a person should be forgiven.

(Mat 18:21)  Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

(Mat 18:22)  Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

If you do the math behind the numbers a person should be forgiven 490 times! Now, I doubt that one person could do wrong to another person that many times.

(Mat 18:23)  Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.

(Mat 18:24)  And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.

(Mat 18:25)  But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.

(Mat 18:26)  The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

(Mat 18:27)  Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.

(Mat 18:28)  But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.

(Mat 18:29)  And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.

(Mat 18:30)  And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.

(Mat 18:31)  So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.

(Mat 18:32)  Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:

(Mat 18:33)  Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?

(Mat 18:34)  And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

(Mat 18:35)  So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

The above verse are a parable from Christ about forgiveness and relates to it how The Most High will forgive us for our wrongdoings and we should forgive others.

I know that people can be mean and cruel, but forgiveness is needed in all cases. Some people may even say that “I would never forgive someone for hurting or killing a loved one”, but there are many people in the Bible who did wrong and they were forgiven. Some of them are Joseph (for what his brothers did to him) and even Christ forgave the people who crucified him.

(Gen 50:15)  And when Joseph's brethren saw that their father was dead, they said, Joseph will peradventure hate us, and will certainly requite us all the evil which we did unto him.

(Gen 50:16)  And they sent a messenger unto Joseph, saying, Thy father did command before he died, saying,

(Gen 50:17)  So shall ye say unto Joseph, Forgive, I pray thee now, the trespass of thy brethren, and their sin; for they did unto thee evil: and now, we pray thee, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of thy father. And Joseph wept when they spake unto him.

(Gen 50:18)  And his brethren also went and fell down before his face; and they said, Behold, we be thy servants.

(Gen 50:19)  And Joseph said unto them, Fear not: for am I in the place of God?

(Gen 50:20)  But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as it is this day, to save much people alive.

(Gen 50:21)  Now therefore fear ye not: I will nourish you, and your little ones. And he comforted them, and spake kindly unto them.

(Luk 23:34)  Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

Food for thought: Christ forgave the people who were killing him and Joseph forgave his brothers for selling him into slavery, so why is that people cannot forgive others for the simplest or dumbest things?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  825
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

So, does God actually forgive may sound like a strange question.

Not at all.... do you end up in hell if forgiven through Jesus Christ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  20

So, does God actually forgive may sound like a strange question. Scripture indicates that he does. But really, is it not true that God only forgives after he has punished sin?. So really he doesn't out and out forgive the sin he actually punishes it first.

God's absolute holiness, righteousness, and justice demand that the punishment or penalty for sin be paid in full. Therefore all our sins were place on Christ, and He paid the full and complete penalty for our sins.  Now God can freely forgive every sinner because His holiness has been fully satisfied and grace can flow freely to all who repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  208
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  8,651
  • Content Per Day:  1.17
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  03/04/1943

Amen~!