IGNORED

What really separates christians and denominations ?

SINNERSAVED

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Then there is the ongoing following of Christian "men" instead of following Christ which they represent.
Instead of hearing only the Truth each of these three represented in Scripture in 1 Co 1:11-12 as preachers for our Lord, these people brought contention in the past as they likely followed a certain "style" or "charisma" in some of the personality traits these godly men had.
I consider this the first three "denominational" Church splits in the Bible:
The church of Paul
The church of Apollos
The church of Cephas
The "only" right one: "and I of Christ"

The same is all too familiar in this present generation as well. Add church denomination here: The Church of _______________.

1Co 1:11-12
(11)  For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
(12)  Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.

Paul's thoughts on the matter?
Christ is not divided, Paul was not crucified for us, and thankful that he did not baptize many. He went on to preach the Gospel:

1Co 1:13-17
(13)  Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?
(14)  I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
(15)  Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
(16)  And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.
(17)  For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

In so far as following Christian men go, we can submit to Christ in any man, as long as their fruit and lives are lining up with the Word that they preach:

1Co 11:1  Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

All the while, growing in Christ, and testing what is said by anyone with Scripture:

Acts 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

23 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Shiloh357,

We know by history that God`s Holy Spirit revealed truths of Christ from the word,  truths which had been distorted etc over the years. As truths were revealed afresh, people began to build organisations around them. That is why we have - Lutheran (salvation) Methodists (Holy Living) Baptists (Baptism) Holy Spirit (Pentecostal) etc etc And many more as people centred around a truth. However we know that the Holy Spirit continues to bring the Body of Christ into all truth & thus right across the Body, through every denomination the Holy Spirit moves & reveals more truths of Christ, His character & His purposes. Thus `names` of denominations are mainly that `just a name` for the `water level,` of the Spirit has risen. Ways of doing meetings & different structures of hierarchical leadership are all man`s ways.

However in believer`s lives right across the  Body we see that God`s Holy Spirit is bringing about the unity of Faith. eg, here on Worthy, there are many denominations (& not) represented, yet we find that there is agreement on Salvation, baptism in water, infilling of the Holy Spirit, the understanding of Spiritual gifts & even to some degree a receiving of the 5 fold Headship ministry gifts. The main area of difference is the last truth to be clarified by the Holy Spirit across the Body of Christ is - Eschatology - God`s purposes for the Body of Christ, for Israel & the nations.

So my question to you is - do you believe Jesus when He said -

`when he, the Spirit of Truth, has come, He will guide you into ALL TRUTH: ......` (John 16: 13)

With man we know that is impossible, but with God it is not impossible.

Marilyn.

Shalom, Marilyn.

LOL! He just didn't promise that the "ALL TRUTH" would go to just one person or one denomination!

This is where the KJV comes in. In the KJV, the "thee's" and "thou's" are singular, and the "you's" and "ye's" are plural. So, when John 16:13 says,

John 16:13
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
KJV

To confirm this, we can also check the Greek:

Kata Iooanneen 16:13

13 Hotan de elthee ekeinos to Pneuma tees aleetheias, hodeegeesei humas en tee aleetheia pasee; ou gar laleesei af’ heautou, all’ hosa akousei laleesei kai ta erchomena anaggelei humin.

The (UBS) Greek New Testament

"Humas" and "humin" are plural of the second person pronoun.

Yeshua` was talking to them all COLLECTIVELY, not to any one person in particular and not to each one in the group! Maybe the Ruach haQodesh (the Holy Spirit) PURPOSELY splits up the "Truth" according to that with which each denomination will do its best!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,219
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

1 hour ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, Marilyn.

LOL! He just didn't promise that the "ALL TRUTH" would go to just one person or one denomination!

This is where the KJV comes in. In the KJV, the "thee's" and "thou's" are singular, and the "you's" and "ye's" are plural. So, when John 16:13 says,

John 16:13
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
KJV

To confirm this, we can also check the Greek:

Kata Iooanneen 16:13

13 Hotan de elthee ekeinos to Pneuma tees aleetheias, hodeegeesei humas en tee aleetheia pasee; ou gar laleesei af’ heautou, all’ hosa akousei laleesei kai ta erchomena anaggelei humin.

The (UBS) Greek New Testament

"Humas" and "humin" are plural of the second person pronoun.

Yeshua` was talking to them all COLLECTIVELY, not to any one person in particular and not to each one in the group! Maybe the Ruach haQodesh (the Holy Spirit) PURPOSELY splits up the "Truth" according to that with which each denomination will do its best!

Hi Retro,

I so agree with you that `the truth` by the Holy Spirit is going across the whole Body of Christ. It is not a matter of what public meeting we go to, or organisation we are a member of, the reality is are we `set` in the Body by the Holy Spirit. Are our motives in line with the Lord`s. These are the eternal matters that God is looking at, not the superficial structures of man.

Marilyn.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

5 hours ago, Butero said:

The closest thing I could come up with to create at least an appearance of unity is to have one huge church in each city, rather than multitudes of churches.  This one church would have many sanctuaries with different styles of worship services.

And that is all it would be -- *the appearance of unity*.  In view of where the world is historically, and the approaching Second Coming of Christ, this would be an exercise in futility. Here is what the Lord has revealed (2 Tim 3:1-5):

This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

I do not think that is true. The Protestant denominations all agree on the fundamentals it is the little things that separate us. I have seen churches of the same denomination separate over nothing other than the way it was being run or the way a minister did something. All the basics found in the Apolstles Creed are believed and accepted it's the little things that divide....though more and more it will be the liberal and fundamental that will divide the church of any denomination.