IGNORED

Preaching The Gospel or Sharing The Gospel?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hey everyone!

I have another question to ask that I can't seem to get out of my head.

When it comes to preaching the gospel or sharing with others in a conversation with someone else.

Why do they suddenly assume we are forcing it down their throats? When we as Christians don't even invite them to church or tell them "You have to accept Jesus or else!" I mean, I've shared the gospel with people in conversations without bringing up the church or forcing them. I don't understand why they have to assume things when the conversation is just reflecting off of a story a disciple went through.

I hope my questions make sense, I see the world differently due to my Autism. Feedback would be appreciated.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.04
  • Days Won:  5

57 minutes ago, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Hey everyone!

When it comes to preaching the gospel or sharing with others in a conversation with someone else.

Why do they suddenly assume we are forcing it down their throats? When we as Christians don't even invite them to church or tell them "You have to accept Jesus or else!" I mean, I've shared the gospel with people in conversations without bringing up the church or forcing them. I don't understand why they have to assume things when the conversation is just reflecting off of a story a disciple went through.

I hope my questions make sense, I see the world differently due to my Autism. Feedback would be appreciated.

Hi ChristianGi

They feel they are being forced because they don't want to hear the gospel or any stories from the bible.  As simple as that.  Their hearts are shut, and they feel like there's an intrusion going on that's forcing them to think about things they don't want to let in.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Often the Holy Spirit is already dealing with them and they are fighting tooth and nail.  They are like a fish that has been hooked.  Sometimes they get away, but often they tire and God reels them in.  I remember how my husband fought.  My pastor came over and asked him if he would like to come to our son's baptism, but otherwise didn't mention anything about God or church.  He talked about fishing and whatever.  But hubby was still complaining about him after he was saved!  My daughter in law's mother was the same way.  She was the meanest to them in the years before she was saved.  So the trick is to not take it personally.  They are reacting to Christ in us.  We ask God to give us His love for them and have compassion on them.  They are miserable and lost.  

I would wait for people at work to ask me questions about my faith.  They always did when we were alone.  And I always urged them to go to the church of their choice.  When people are hurting or sick, I often tell them I will pray for them.  They rarely object to that.  And if I know them fairly well, I ask them if I can pray for them.  Then I pray aloud in their presence.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

1 hour ago, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Why do they suddenly assume we are forcing it down their throats?

Because the world is at enmity with God and Christ, and the unregenerate person does not want to hear the truth about their need to repent and believe the Gospel. Also Satan and his evil spirits are there to undermine the Gospel. You can talk about anything other than spiritual matters, and people will be more than happy to waste their time.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

It makes perfect sense.  I was over at my neighbors house one day. The woman across the street from her was there also, Marie as having a garage sale.  Tracy the woman across from Marie, heard us speaking about us reading the Bible.  Tracy was not saved.  She just almost threw a fit and said, "Oh no your not one of those are you?" meaning a Christian.  When we both said yes she just laughed and basically called us foolish.  The next day she called me on the phone and once again went out into left field.  Called me brainwashed.  She went on and on until I just hung up.  Later on in the year she started asking me questions,  I gave her a NT and I think she looked at it a few times but nothing esle. She never did make a decision for Christ, and I"m sad to say she died a month ago in her sleep unsaved. 

I am heart sick about it but it was her decision.  

Sharing your faith is what your supposed to do.  Just stand your ground and don't apologize for who and what you are.  Your not always going to be loved, but at least  your standing strong.

Blessings RustyAngeL

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

they recognize the truth you speak and find the truth hard to accept.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

This might not even answer the question, but I do not see that preaching is not sharing, nor that sharing, eliminates preaching. Whatever you think those words mean, is there some reason one cannot do both?

As far as I am concerned it all starts from this:

19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

So it appears to me that the focus is placed, by Jesus, on teaching the gospel, that could be sharing or preaching, instructing, handing out tracts of other methods.

The commandment was to His disciples, to make other disciples. A disciple, is a student, a follower, one who learns. 

Then notice what His disciples are told to do:

"make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them"

That was for them to do. What about us?

His disciples were told to make other disciples, and to:

teach them to observe all that I commanded you

Think about that! Jesus commanded disciples, to make disciples, and to teach them to observe (obey) EVERYTHING that Jesus had commanded His disciples to observe, So therefore, the new disciples would also make disciple and teach them to observe the coomandmand to make disciples, and on and on that goes, generation to generation. 

In this way, I became a disciple also, in the 1970s, and the disciples that I have taught, have also gone on to make more diciples. this goes on for centuries:

I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Making disciples is something that every Christian who wants to be obedient, wants to be a servant of His Lord, will want to do. It is not about a special calling, all disciples are disciples of disciples, and are part of that original commandment. It is not about going to Bible college. It is not about knowing everything there is to know. It is not about how one feels about the matter.

We do not need to know everything, we do not need to be perfect, or even good with words, We do not need to feel comfortable or confident. 

The only way we can fail, is to not try. Conversion, is God's work, He brings people to Himself. Our job is to just spread the word to those who need to hear it, and the only way we can fail, is by keeping silent.

As far as the "shoving it down their throats aspect, people are not wired by nature, to accept the things of God, The are naturally rebellious, they are Gods enemies, whether or not they choose to accept that as a fact. The cannot even hear God in a way that makes any real sense to them, the are deaf, dumb and blind, because they do not have the discernment that only God's Holy Spirit can give them.

Get, at the same time, they do know, that they are guilty, their own conscience, convicts them of that even though it is seered and they squash it down. The have pride, and cannot but feel, that since of guilt and shame, but will not admit it. So, when someone tries to instruct them in a better way, they react defensively, and pridefully assert that you are shoving religion down their throat.

Don't let that discourage you. Pray for them, instruct them gently, and if they will not hear it, is it okay and move on, looking for those who are open to the things of God. Know that God has rewards for those who are obedient to them, and that there is a long list of people, who have been persecuted (not just criticized) for His sake. Be willing to be one of them!

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings ChristianGirl.....

I am in complete agreement with all the replies here only may I also add that even I sometimes feel the Scriptures are "shoved down my throat" at times ....I'll explain or at least I will try my best

I have a dear friend who is incarcerated,he is a Born Again Christian who transgressed for a time & got himself into a mess(hence-prison) Well,he dropped to his knees(nearly 3 yrs ago) & is a Bible Thumping Christian that preaches to the choir,he never stops quoting Scripture,he rants on & on & on & on,totally irrelevant to whatever the discussion may be and I think he may be very much in the way of the Holy Spirit.....if you know what I mean?

There are indeed over zealous people,imo....that take their new found Jesus experience to the extreme & it seems they may not be considering anyone else or listening to Gods Still Small Voice(how can anyone "hear" if they never stop talking? Now I have personally met many "New Christians" that are just SOOO enthused ,inspired & excited that they are not taking any "personal time" with our Lord,they are vbery busy going about "their" business & too busy to wait on God so they can learn & then go about "His Business"

The reason I say this is because it is indeed the Great Commission,that we go out & preach the Gospel to every creature BUT it just cannot be done effectively without the Holy Spirit.Holy Spirit most certainly speaks through us,He Convicts the hearts of men & if you are not "getting through" then you must know when to "kick the dust off your feet & go to where Gods Word is Received"   There is a time & place for everything & God directs our path,He guides our every footstep ,but we have to "listen".....I speak to many many people & I always speak "Jesus",so often I hear,"I want what you have" or"You're not like the other Christians I've met".....you see,I'm not patting myself on the back, I'm giving God ALL the Glory because I've learned to "listen" & wait in Him for His Words- Praise Jesus

There was a time that I "shoved the Gospel down peoples throats" -lol   I was young,I was excited to SAVE everyone I met ,,,,I was in Gods Way,He Saves-we are merely His messengers....that is what a fisher of men does.Remember,fishermen have to be very patient if they want to catch a fish,they must wait,observe,see where their biting & wait until they are on the line before they reel them in OR go to where they are biting                            With love-in Christ,Kwik

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

On 7/29/2016 at 10:41 AM, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Hey everyone!

Your bible tells you that Satan has blinded the minds of unbelievers.., and witnessing is not the same as preaching.

Yet, "faith cometh by hearing"....and this is the work of the Holy Spirit., .......So,  we, in Love,  are to plant the seed of the word, but the watering (the REVEALING) comes from the Spirit of God within the heart of the unbeliever.

Its not our job to save them, its our job to be willing to seed them. = We do the telling, the sharing, but its God who produces the born again results.

Edited by Behold

Guest shiloh357
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 10:41 AM, ChristianGirl7770 said:

Hey everyone!

Sometimes when people hear the gospel, the advserse reaction you get from them is the result of being under conviction of the Holy Spirit.  When the Holy Spirit convicts a person of their sin, they either respond by allowing their heart to be melted and they receive the message.   Others harden their hearts and they become combative with you because they don't want to acknowledge the truth.