IGNORED

When is it love and when is it something else?

Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

I often think about what it means to be a loving Christian? Does it mean to be totally accepting, never correcting, never disagreeing, and never judging (an action - a person should never be judged)

If you tell the truth without love it is not Godly

But if you love without telling truth, is it also not Godly?

The Bible tells  that any action we do without love is wasted

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

The bible also tells us not to compromise 

Revelation 3: 14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither [kcold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

So  when is it love, when is it judgment and when is it compromise

Situation: We see someone in sin, a brother or sister in Christ  or someone on the edge (there is no use in correcting the lost, they need to be saved).  Do you:

1. Tell them that what they are doing is a sin and God has said such sins will keep you from seeing the kingdom of heaven*

2. Do you tell them that it is alright and that God forgives and do nothing?  Telling them the bible doesn't mean what it says and that they have nothing to be concerned about.

3. Do nothing considering it is none of your business? (maybe pray for them)

4. Condemn them

Which of these is love, which of these brings the person closer to the truth and repentance?

Now I have always been the more direct kind of guy, taking the approach that its okay to step on a few toes to get the truth out. We can always pray for healing later. So I will always go for #1, with the love and wisdom of God moderating me 

But what is your take?

* 1 Cor 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

**2 Tim 4:1 I charge you [a]therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Love is not 'wishy washy' it  is concerned for those who are loved and wants the best for them, so if one loves another season who is doing what is wrong they will be told that that is wrong.

If we are living as Jesus wants us to live then we can speak out about the wrong deeds of others, we can be judgement for we are happy for that same standard to be used against us.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Days Won:  2

21 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

But what is your take?

Love is the motivation that causes us to do something rather than nothing.   Wisdom, gentleness, kindness, discernment, maturity, and the like are what enable us to actually help someone rather than do damage.    Over the years, I've observed Christians who can wield truth like a skillful surgeon wields a scalpel to bring healing and I've observed Christians who try to remove a sliver with a butcher knife or axe that mostly brings pain and scars and hard feelings.  There's pain both ways but the one brings healing and the other doesn't.  

Telling someone what they are doing is wrong is easy.  Helping them walk through their struggles so that they can change is much harder.  That overweight person who can't say no to food might really be struggling with the horror of sexual abuse. Giving them lectures about dieting and self-control and how their body is the temple of the Holy Spirit is more likely to discourage than help.  They need healing, not lectures.   We don't know what the real cause of some of things we see really is.  Sometimes it is a matter of ignorance and our enlightening them is what they need.  However, sometimes the cause is much deeper and what we are worried about is a symptom of something much deeper.  

Talk is cheap.  Anyone can point out what someone is doing wrong.  Action whereby we involve ourselves in someone's life to help them do what is needed to change is far different and fewer are willing to do that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,251
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

I often think about what it means to be a loving Christian? Does it mean to be totally accepting, never correcting, never disagreeing, and never judging (an action - a person should never be judged)

Scripture tells us when and how to to correct a brother/sister. Or not.
1 Corinthian, 13 explains it is done in love.

Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.    2 Thessalonians 3:15

As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.
1 Timothy 5:20

“If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone.
If he listens to you, you have gained your brother 
   Matthew 18:15

Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke,
and exhort, with complete patience and teaching.   
2 Timothy 4:2

Do not rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity.   1 Timothy 5:1-2

Whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, but he who rejects reproof leads others astray. Proverbs 10:17

If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him,
that he may be ashamed. Do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.
2 Thessalonians 3:14-15

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid. Proverbs 12:1

Love, real love, sometimes must be tough. (Ask God about that)

For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. Hebrews 12:6-7

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,240
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,365
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

23 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

The bible also tells us not to compromise 

Revelation 3: 14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither [kcold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

So  when is it love, when is it judgment and when is it compromise

Situation: We see someone in sin, a brother or sister in Christ  or someone on the edge (there is no use in correcting the lost, they need to be saved).  Do you:

1. Tell them that what they are doing is a sin and God has said such sins will keep you from seeing the kingdom of heaven*

2. Do you tell them that it is alright and that God forgives and do nothing?  Telling them the bible doesn't mean what it says and that they have nothing to be concerned about.

3. Do nothing considering it is none of your business? (maybe pray for them)

4. Condemn them

Which of these is love, which of these brings the person closer to the truth and repentance?

Now I have always been the more direct kind of guy, taking the approach that its okay to step on a few toes to get the truth out. We can always pray for healing later. So I will always go for #1, with the love and wisdom of God moderating me 

But what is your take?

* 1 Cor 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, 10 nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.

**2 Tim 4:1 I charge you [a]therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 

Amen! You seem to have covered quite a bit, I would add, what the Lord did with us is Love us in a way that we can love the same way with other people.

I think based on the scriptures, they would have to be rightly divided within our self  before you can get someone else in the right path.

To me, when the Lord was talking to the Jews, He wasn't only telling just them who believe on Him, but I think He was telling everyone to continue in His words so that we all can know the truth of an issue, and that it can make us free.

Love, Walter

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Days Won:  4

4 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

Amen! You seem to have covered quite a bit, I would add, what the Lord did with us is Love us in a way that we can love the same way with other people.

I think based on the scriptures, they would have to be rightly divided within our self  before you can get someone else in the right path.

To me, when the Lord was talking to the Jews, He wasn't only telling just them who believe on Him, but I think He was telling everyone to continue in His words so that we all can know the truth of an issue, and that it can make us free.

Love, Walter

Interesting, but I cannot bring myself to love as He did, for I did not pay the price He did.  As one of the sinners I cannot see me taking a fatherly role and chastising another. That would seem to be above my paygrade ;) Telling the truth can be problematic enough, but never make it about the person, just the action.   That is the wonder of God's truth.  That it is God's,  the messenger who brings it does not have to be perfect to give it. 

Just make sure it's God's truth, without a superior attitude, because without the Humble truth, in love we get into the mote and beam issue. But at the same time are we doing any favors, letting them steep in a sinful choice.  A question that I have been working on all my life. 

In a perfect world we would all study to show ourselves approved, but alas, it is far from perfect.

Edited by Riverwalker

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  771
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,937
  • Content Per Day:  3.07
  • Days Won:  1

On 1/24/2021 at 4:23 AM, Riverwalker said:

Situation: We see someone in sin, a brother or sister in Christ  or someone on the edge 

God always rebuke some of our brothers n sisters in Christ when we gather to worship in community cell group, directly  with the gift of Xenolalia n some people will rcv visions regarding their sinful behaviour, because the gifts of Pentecost Holy Spirit is STILL given to the church who rcv Pentecost style Holy Spirit baptism.

The gifts of Holy Spirit is explained in 1 Corinthian 12 n if this is not found in church u only learn Theology.

Edited by R. Hartono

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus was always compassionate on sinners and had died for us.  I am not talking about those who profaned God's temple in the court and who were irreverent.  I am talking of the woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery, Mary Magdalene, and those who are in pain or grief.  

I once witnessed a man rebuking a brother whose mother had just died.  He had moved in with a woman, and the man was speaking with deep compassion as he pointed out that there will be no fornicators in heaven.  He pleaded with the brother to amend his ways.    This is the best of such a situation that I have observed.  Only deep felt love can do this.  

• Brilliant! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

CANNOT  BRING  MYSELF  TO  LOVE  AS  HE  DID ???

MATTHEW 19:26  but  JESUS  beheld them and said unto them with men this is impossible but with  GOD  all things are possible 

MATTHEW 10:37  he that loveth father or mother more than  ME  is -- NOT  WORTHY  OF  ME -- and he that loveth son or daughter more than  ---ME  IS  NOT  WORTHY  OF  ME---

ROMANS 6:16  KNOW  YOU  NOT  THAT  TO  WHOM  YOU  YIELD  YOURSELVES  SERVANTS  TO  OBEY  HIS  SERVANTS  YOU  ARE  TO  WHOM  YOU  OBEY  WHETHER  OF  SIN  UNTO  DEATH  OR  OF  OBEDIENCE  UNTO  RIGHTEOUSNESS 

JOHN 14:15  if you love  --ME--  keep  MY  commandments 

JOHN 15:9  AS  THE  FATHER  HATH  LOVED  ME  SO  HAVE  I  LOVED  YOU  CONTINUE  IN  MY  LOVE

JOHN 15:10  --IF-- YOU  KEEP  MY  COMMANDMENTS  YOU  SHALL  ABIDE  IN  MY  LOVE  EVEN  AS  I  HAVE  KEPT  MY  FATHERS  COMMANDMENTS   AND  ABIDE  IN  HIS  LOVE 

1 JOHN 2:9  he that saith he is in the light and hateth his brother --IS  IN  DARKNESS  EVEN  UNTIL  NOW--

1 JOHN 2:10  HE  THAT  LOVETH  HIS  BROTHER  ABIDETH  IN  THE  LIGHT  ---AND  THERE  IS  NON  OCCASSION--- OF  STUMBLIG  IN  HIM

PSALM 119:130  THE  ENTRANCE  OF  THY  WORDS  GIVETH  LIGHT  IT  GIVETH  UNDERSTANDING  UNTO  THE  SIMPLE 

ISAIAH 8:20  TO  THE  LAW  AND  TO  THE  TESTIMONY  IF  THEY  SPEAK  NOT  ACCORDING  TO  THIS  WORD  IT IS  BECAUSE  THERE  IS  NO  LIGHT  IN  THEM

JOHN 14:14  IF YOU SHALL ASK  ANYTHING  IN  --MY  NAME-- I  WILL  DO  IT

JOHN 14:21  HE  THAT  HATH  MY  COMMANDMENTS  AND  KEEPETH  THEM  HE  IT  IS  THAT  LOVETH  ME  AND  HE  THAT  LOVETH  ME  SHALL  BE  LOVED  OF  MY  FATHER  AND  I  WILL  LOVE  HIM  AND  WILL  MANIFEST  MYSELF  TO  HIM 

JOHN 14:24  HE  THAT  LOVETH  ME  NOT  KEEPETH  NOT  MY  SAYINGS  AND  THE  WORD  WHICH  YOU  HEAR  IS  NOT  MINE  BUT  THE  FATHERS  WHICH  SENT  ME 

**********************************************************************************

1 CORINTHIANS 16:22  IF  ANY  MAN  LOVE  NOT  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST  LET  HIM  BE  ANATHEMA  MARANATHA 

**********************************************************************************

*******LUKE 6:46  AND  WHY  CALL  YOU  ME  LORD  LORD  AND  DO  NOT  THE  THINGS  WHICH  I  SAY*******

*******PHILIPIANS 2:21  FOR  ALL  SEEK  THEIR  OWN  NOT  THE  THINGS  WHICH  ARE  JESUS  CHRISTS *******

*******LUKE 8:21  AND  HE  ANSWERED  AND  SAID  UNTO  THEM  MY  MOTHER  AND --MY  BRETHREN-- ARE  THESE  WHICH  HEAR  THE  WORD  OF  GOD  AND  DO IT*******

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

• Thumbs Up 1