• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  910
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

The ones that are tough to love is where the work is 1395451311_compexclamationsmiley155.jpg.c84644cd8e735062c8c15af2fe0eaf3f.jpg In Christ we are called to these...

It can be hard to love the unlovable but I suppose it's what we are called to do. :emot-poke::read:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,309
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Yes the how to walk so closely with God to see the line He has drawn as our own line would be error...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.95
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, Alive said:

From a certain perspective, we are all unlovable--we would all do well to think about this.

And yet, God so loved us, that He suffered and died for us.

We would all do well to consider both of these things together---after doing so--then look anew at those we consider "unlovable".

Where do 'you' draw the line?

Where does scripture draw the line? Sure Jesus evangelized to sinners but they loved the message and didn't mock it nor show unbelief in it.

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

Something I do when I get worn down by all the negativity while sharing the gospel is have a look at Psalm 73. Asaph starts off sounding pretty disgusted with life, which I feel myself at times (and probably too often!) Then he goes to the temple and is reminded that unbelievers do not have a rosy eternity to look forward to. I usually find it helpful in getting my eyes back on Jesus and off the dirty names, etc. that get thrown in my direction.

Psalm 73 (KJV)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.30
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

22 hours ago, debrakay said:

This week I have been called a fool, a bigot, a racist, a wealthy white opioid addict, crazy, insane, ridiculous, and the problem with the world today.  Part of these come from a Senior forum I joined a week ago and part of them from a Christian forum I joined a couple of days ago.  Maybe it's time to admit I am not someone who needs to be on a forum, discussing anything other than recipes and the weather.  I give up.

It takes a thick skin sometimes. I enjoy this forum, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 3/5/2021 at 12:18 PM, debrakay said:

This week I have been called a fool, a bigot, a racist, a wealthy white opioid addict, crazy, insane, ridiculous, and the problem with the world today.  Part of these come from a Senior forum I joined a week ago and part of them from a Christian forum I joined a couple of days ago.  Maybe it's time to admit I am not someone who needs to be on a forum, discussing anything other than recipes and the weather.  I give up.

In the 20 years I have been involved in forums I have learned to have a thick skin.   I guess that I was brought up with a father who was a very skillful and cunning debater.  I remember we had a debate over politics one evening, and my brother and I started yelling at him.  He said, "You've lost the argument, because you raised your voices!"   We realised that he was goading us so that we would lose our cool.

It doesn't matter what position you take concerning an issue, you will always get others who will disagree with you, and start kicking you instead of the "ball".  When they start using "you" messages to you, they have effectively lost the debate because they have run out of answers.

This is one of my "trade secrets":  Reading Leslie Neilson's biography, describing all the famous movies he wasn't in, was an inspiration to me.  He said that his biography was totally made up, and it was a very entertaining book.   Using the same principle deals with those who demand "proof" from you for something you have written.   No one has any right to demand proof for anything you say.  You have the absolute right to your own opinion about any issue.

But being part of a forum is a valuable learning situation.  It is a matter of having your own beliefs and opinions, but being teachable at the same time.  Other contributors have a lot to add and the majority is well worth reading.

But there are trolls on every thread who work to turn every debate into a two-horse race and no matter what you say, they will argue against it, often repeating over and over the same comments in order to repeatedly belt you over the head with their trolling view.   If you take the attitude that by their conduct they are automatically wrong, you can safely ignore them and not be drawn into their useless exchange.

One when I was trolled, I gave a totally logical answer, but totally made-up and meaningless.  I discovered that way of speaking on a Youtube video where a guy was lecturing to economists, using the jargon, and sounding very expert in the field, but what he was saying was totally meaningless.   It was very funny.  It was interesting when I did it to a troll, how many on the tread took my words seriously and thought I was saying something very "deep" and mystical!

Also, not taking yourself seriously is a valuable attitude to have on these forums and if all else fails, resort to humour.   If someone responds to one of your comments by saying, "You're joking!"   Say, "That's not joking.  The unsuccessful Scottish hunter went out into the fog and mist."  That's joking!

Remember, don't go out to try and convert people on the forum to your way of thinking or believing.  Just give your opinions, use the forum as a ministry to those who are genuine questioners, don't be defensive, and use your knowledge and experience to be someone interesting to read.

Edited by Paul James
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

If you haven't been called a heretic yet then you have a ways to go....  I've been busy in the hospital for a day or three so I'm just picking up your post.

Don't worry about what others think of you, just post your thoughts and let it go...   believe it or not there are a lot of us who like to hear from everyone...   If I disagree I'll tell you but I try and never tell anyone they are wrong...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

Further to my previous long post.  When they insult you like that, agree with them!   You have the right to agree in principle with anyone who criticises you, without you having to change your beliefs or your behaviour.  It is a technique called "fogging".  Anyone who criticises you has to justify their criticism of you.  The other technique is positive enquiry where you ask, "What is it that makes it appear that I am...[whatever they are accusing you of].  When the respond, as the same question about their response, and keep on asking the same question about subsequent responses until they give up and cease trying to manipulate you through negative criticism, and start giving non-manipulative, real answers.

Example:

"I hate your shirt."

What is it about my shirt that you hate?

"It is the kacky colour of it."

What is it about the kacky colour?

"It is that shade of brown that makes it look something is spilled on it."

What is it about the shade of brown that is concerning you?

"Oh, shut up.  I can see you're not listening to me."

You're right!  I'm not listening to you!

• Haha 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  01/29/1966

On 3/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, debrakay said:

Yes, they are every where and they really don't care for morality, integrity, truth and mostly God.  I was just surprised on the Christian forum.  Jesus warned us though.  He knows the heart of each one.  Since I do not, I hit the ignore button, block button or just wipe the dust off and leave.

When people attack you like that, it's best to report them and/or place them on ignore. On a different Christian forum, I have dealt with liberals who don't care for morality, integrity, the truth or God. Some of them come straight out and admit they are atheists, which I find strange on a "Christian" forum! The political threads on that particular site are the worst! I don't spend much time on that site anymore because I got tired of arguing with liberals, atheists and pseudo Christians. Life is too short to waste my time dealing with such folly. 

• Thumbs Up 1