• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Rom 14:1-9

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
KJV

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Content Per Day:  1.72
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you... I do understand these verses are often quoted to prove that we can worship on whatever day we choose... 

but I am not sure this may be the correct interpretation— Does the context of these verses speak to the maturity or weakness of the gentiles in Rome who are converting from their pagan faith to Paul’s faith in Christ?

And it concentrates on eating of food that may have been used in idol worship... Paul seems to be very concerned with placing too much burden on them during their conversion process.. and this does not have anything to do with the Sabbath (big S)?

look forward to your opinion, thanks, Charlie 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,605
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

You have the right idea @Charlie744. I see Tanakh verses oft quoted to tell us the things we must do and what we should learn etc. However, when it comes to the Sabbath, many follow the way of carelessness and decide they have the 'right' to ignore it in favor of the RCC's day (sun-day).

Funny how the Passover is misunderstood by most and the easter stuff is adhered to in favor of a historical Passover Week (Wednesday Nisan 14 thru Nisan 17, which was a SABBATH). It is all contrived man made dogma, yet it is sad how the RCC laugh at us 'protestants' for listening to the Papal Edicts and thus the authority of Rome. They crow about this in their statements, and decry the protestants by mocking them in every way they can.

I observe the Sabbath and attempt to keep it holy. The Sabbath was instituted by God for us to Remember His Great Creation by; yes, even before sin's contamination entered the world.

Edited by Justin Adams
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

Should we keep the 7th Day Sabbath or Sunday, the first day I the week?

neither are mandatory now...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 2

Thank you very much other one!

Would you mind giving your opinion... how you arrived at this? 

Thank you, Charlie 

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

Should we keep the 7th Day Sabbath or Sunday, the first day I the week?

Rom. 14:5-6. Rom. 14:5, One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
V. 6, He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Gal. 4:9-10.
Gal. 4:9, But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
V. 10, Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
Coll. 2:14-17;
Coll. 2:14, Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
V. 15, And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
V. 16, ¶ Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
V. 17, Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Paul wrote, But why dost thou judge they brother? or why dost thou set at nought they brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ . . . . So the every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more."

If the law of Moses, including the fourth commandment, was in force in the new covenant the above statement would never have been written by Paul. Each Christian can do as he pleases concerning the Sabbath and is not to be judged by his brother "Any More."

Christian experiences do not come by the law. "Receive ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?. . . .the law is not of faith: but. the man who doeth them [things of the law] shall live in them. . . . how turn ye AGAIN to the weak beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire to be in bondage?" (Gal. 1:6-9; 2:15-21; 3:1-12, 19-25; 4:1-3, 19-31; 5:1-9, 11-21).

"Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years [that the law required]. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed labour upon you in vain" (Gal. 3:1-12; 4:9-11). Going back to observe Sabbaths according to the law is spoken of here as going back into the bondage of the law. If one does this he is a debtor to do the whole law (Gal. 5:3).

The law was added because of transgressions, TILL THE SEED [Christ] SHOULD COME to whom the promise was made . . . But before faith came [that Christ brought in the gospel and the new covenant, Heb. 12:1, 2],we were kept under the law, shut up unto that faith WHICH SHOULD AFTERWARDS BE REVEALED. . . .Wherefor the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, THAT we might be justified by faith. BUT AFTER that faith is come, WE ARE NO LONGER UNDER A SCHOOLMASTER" (Gal 3:19-25). Not being under the law here is explained as being out from under its authority like one who is no longer under a schoolmaster when we graduate from school. The law is not in force and it has no claim or authority over the person under the new covenant. He is under the obligation to keep the new covenant laws and commandments, which include new laws that were never part of the old covenant, as well as those that God saw fit to make a part of the new covenant.

The law, including the ten commandments, has been "CAST OUT"; "Tell me YE DESIRE TO BE UNDER THE LAW, do ye not hear the law. For it is written that Abraham had TWO SONS. . . . he who was of the BONDWOMAN was born after the flesh; but he of the FREEWOMAN was by promise. WHICH THINGS ARE AN ALLEGORY: for THESE ARE THE TWO COVENANTS; THE ONE FROM MOUNT SINAI, which GENDERETH TO BONDAGE, is [Hagar]. . . .and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and IS IN BONDAGE with her children. But Jerusalem which is above IS FREE, which in the mother of us all. . . .Now we, brethren, as Isaac, are the children of promise. BUT AS EVEN SO IT IS NOW. Nevertheless what sayeth the Scripture? CAST OUT THE BONDWOMAN [the first or old covenant FROM MOUNT SINAI]  AND HER SON [those under the law]; for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. So then brethren, WE ARE NOT CHILDREN OF THE BONDWOMAN [the old ten commandment covenant and its many laws], BUT OF THE FREE [the new covenant]. Stand fast therefor IN THE LIBERTY wherein Christ hath made us FREE, and BE NOT ENTANGLED AGAIN, WITH THE YOKE OF BONDAGE [the old covenant]. . . .  For I testify again to every man that is circumcised [no man had any part in the old covenant unless he was circumcised], that he is a debtor TO DO THE WHOLE LAW" (Gal. 4:21-31; 5:1-5, 18).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

22 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

Thank you very much other one!

Would you mind giving your opinion... how you arrived at this? 

Thank you, Charlie 

Just one short part of it....   when the Jews were accusing Jesus of sinning by working (healing) on the sabbath,  Jesus did not correct them in any way, he just confessed that he was working and further more the Father had been working also....    if the sabbath was mandatory it sort of puts a kink in my belief that Jesus had to be sinless....    there are other places showing the old laws being made none effect any longer and some keep the sabbaths and some don't and either is ok...

The laws or commandments that we are challenged to keep are those that Jesus gave us himself....   Sabbath attendance was not mandatory it was a custom...   Genesis tells us when we observe the Sabbath we are to do no work of any kind....   (good or bad).   And Jesus agreed that he was working...    

And btw Charlie, the sabbath is still from sundown Friday night to sundown Saturday night and no one I personally know thinks our going to church on Sunday or Wednesday or Tuesday night is any part of old law sabbath keeping.   Early Christians met on the first day of the week to accomplish some things and it became a custom...    not some secret transition of the sabbath...   and while we are instructed not to stop meeting it does not say anywhere I am aware of to do so on any particular day...   and just for the record the non Catholic friends I have don't consider the Roman Catholic Church to be a Christian organization much less the one true church.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hazard, that was certainly a lot of time information... thank you!

I have heard it said many times that we are no longer under the law.. Which I think they mean the 10 commandments are no longer to be obeyed and the Cross essentially caused them to fall away... 

If that is something you agree with I would ask you to consider what Jesus said, “keep my commandments and believe in me”. 

Also, my understanding is the only requirements that were eliminated or made no longer relevant were the “ceremonial commandments”- those that were a type and shadow of the coming Messiah. This of course would include the sacrificial system... but the 10 commandments are forever. They were written in stone and reflect the character of God- hence, they are forever. Further, if they are done away with does that mean we can no longer sin? Can we murder AFTER the Cross but not BEFORE the Cross? 

Wasn’t the Sabbath (big S) created on the 7th day of creation? As a matter of fact, when I hear folks tell me that God is everywhere and also in EVERY day of the week, then we can pick any day we want... but God was also there during the 6 days of creation yet He insisted on creating a  7th day- a special day, It is the ONLY Holy day of the week- It is the ONLY day not identified by a number- there is 1 to 6 and then the Sabbath. It was so important He put it on His calendar!!!

And these are only a small number of reasons to keep honoring the Sabbath- that is for me.

Thanks, Charlie 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,180
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

3 hours ago, enoob57 said:

4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

This response is to both...

• Thumbs Up 1