GoldenEagle

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,173
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The Holiness movement defines legalism has women having long hair rolled up in a bun and dresses down around the ankle. In the United Pentecostal Church, it is defined a men always having short hair and must wear long sleeved shirt. It should be clear that we don't want this kind of holiness.

Well they don't want to have the women flipping up their skirts as they jump over the seat backs and blinding themselves with that long hair....... and the men skin up their elbows when they fall down in the floor having one of those died in the spirit things....... that's not just a production on Benny Hinn, those things really do happen..... and I might add can be exciting... you don't get bored or fall asleep in their services.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Legalism, as I see it, is man demanding another to follow certain doctrine instead of allowing God to work in the persons heart. Those who are legalistic are trying to do the work of the Holy Spirit. We all are at different places in our maturity in Christ, where we are formed to His image through the inner working of the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Legalism, as I see it, is man demanding another to follow certain doctrine instead of allowing God to work in the persons heart. Those who are legalistic are trying to do the work of the Holy Spirit. We all are at different places in our maturity in Christ, where we are formed to His image through the inner working of the Holy Spirit.

I really like this OneLight. May I quote you for future reference?

Sure, as long as you don't credit me for the post. God moves in me to post on this site, give Him the credit.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Sure, as long as you don't credit me for the post. God moves in me to post on this site, give Him the credit.

Alan, do you realize that this sounds like your saying that you are simply being moved by the Holy Spirit to speak his words as were the New Testament authors?

Gary

Alan, do you realize that this sounds like your saying that you are simply being moved by the Holy Spirit to speak his words as were the New Testament authors?

Gary

I believe that every child of God is moved to do His will, be it an action or by written/spoken word. To take credit for doing do would be stealing the glory from God and placing it on oneself. I take no credit when He moves me. The glory is His. I am exceedingly less than those who penned scripture.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Butero ~ having had the pleasure in the thread on spiritual abuse, I really cannot take your responses as though

they needed careful consideration from me

YOU are the person who has stated that it is an abomination for a woman to wear jeans, slacks or whatever

Statements like this:

This is an absolute lie

are not indicative of someone who actually wants to respond civilly or in a manner that suggests a true discussion.

Apart from that, you might not mean to, but you come across as very angry and I don't need that in my life

So thanks, but no thanks....and do feel free to castigate me from here to Mars. I truly do not care ;)

Since “legalism” is NOT a Biblical term, but merely Christianity’s attempt to define people that are more law oriented than themselves, any definition is man-made and subject to error. However, I will make an attempt to define the term based on my understanding of Christianity’s attempt to understand the issue of law.

The book of Galatians was written to counter legalism. Yes, the term is not used, but adhering to the law after accepting Christ,

is what is defined as legalism.

It is a very serious charge and Paul asks this of the Galatians:

You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified?

The KJ says it this way:

O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, that you should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ has been openly set forth, crucified among you?

It is very telling that Paul refers to faith in Christ as the truth and refers to keeping the old law as being bewitched

Not my words...it's in the Bible ;) which is why I am not going to deal with anger or snarky remarks. I get very weary defending what the Bible so clearly

states and no, I don't think I know everything or that I am better than others

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Very good, sevenseas, good verses you bring to the table.

As I choose to define legalism, it is never a good thing but as I have seen others define it, I am more inclined to agree with their position while rejecting their definition. Jesus came to fulfill the law, not to do away with it. Even Paul in Romans declared openly that owing no man anything meant that we would not transgress seven of the ten commandments.

The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, Rom 5:20

Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin. Rom 3:20

Jesus IS the fulfillment of the law which simply means we have no futher need of keeping it because he has given satisfaction to the requirement

(of God) that the sinner must die.

People have given their lives for this truth ...in fact Jesus gave HIS life...and yet, I think I am seeing a resurgence of those who believe that

somehow, some way they need to just keep maybe a little bit of the law...just in case, on the other hand, we can see from scripture

that people desire to return to sin if they put aside that which is perfect. The law was never meant to be permanent...it is in effect

for those who do not believe in God's fullfillment of the law. You cannot add to what Christ has done...but you can put yourself

back into bondage

But one who looks intently at the perfect law, the law of liberty, and abides by it, not having become a forgetful hearer but an effectual doer, this man will be blessed in what he does. James 1:25

An effectual doer, if I understand the above verse (and the rest of the book of James) is one who GLADLY

gives and does for the Lord...not out of bondage; but out of the law of love against which there is no law

For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF." Gal 5:14

That can only be God's love working through us and that love does not work through keeping laws that Jesus has already

kept on our behalf because we CANNOT keep the law

As we now have new hearts, our obedience to the law is one of love and not fear. Our understanding should be enlightened....which is why Paul

asked "Who has bewitched you?"