IGNORED

The Fathers Of Modern perVersions

KiwiChristian

Guest Teditis
14 minutes ago, other one said:

maybe I am wrong but the KJ only people that I know are concerned with the manuscripts that the newer versions are translated from...   The Alexanderian influence that is injected into the Nestle is a little disturbing to me also.

Fact is in my opinion none of the English versions are totally true to the original for you have to go to paraphrase versions to really convey some of the meanings of the Greek words for they just don't translate......     too many words translated Hell, and even more Love.

but almost any of the translations can get you saved if you look at the whole book.   I personally don't know anyone who thinks I will go to hell because I don't read the KJ all the time.     My personal favorites is the missionary......   tell me about Jesus, fill me with the Holy Spirit and let me lead the life the Spirit leads me to have.

I guess that my experience with KJ only people has been different than yours... I've had a few say that people

who don't use the KJV are "probably" so deceived that they are unsaved.

I agree that there aren't any translations that are perfect and entirely render the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic writ

as it was originally intended... but God gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us in those instances.

I see nothing wrong with the Alexandrian influences in the Bible... they had accurate texts just like their neighbors.

What are your concerns with it? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, Teditis said:

I guess that my experience with KJ only people has been different than yours... I've had a few say that people

who don't use the KJV are "probably" so deceived that they are unsaved.

I agree that there aren't any translations that are perfect and entirely render the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic writ

as it was originally intended... but God gave us the Holy Spirit to guide us in those instances.

I see nothing wrong with the Alexandrian influences in the Bible... they had accurate texts just like their neighbors.

What are your concerns with it? 

The NIV states in John 3:16 that if you believe you will definitely be saved.....    Greek in that only says that you might not perish and I  have friends who think that all you have to do to be saved is believe.....   and there is more to it than that.   And when I ask why they think that John 3:16 is always the answer.    They seem to think all they have to do is express that Jesus is who he is and nothing else is required....   so they don't really shy away from sin as they should, because they believe.

that's just one example but an important one

Guest Teditis
16 minutes ago, other one said:

The NIV states in John 3:16 that if you believe you will definitely be saved.....    Greek in that only says that you might not perish and I  have friends who think that all you have to do to be saved is believe.....   and there is more to it than that.   And when I ask why they think that John 3:16 is always the answer.    They seem to think all they have to do is express that Jesus is who he is and nothing else is required....   so they don't really shy away from sin as they should, because they believe.

that's just one example but an important one

I see what you're saying.... but other Versions that have taken their texts from the "Alexandrian" texts read similar to the KJV.

So each version needs to be looked at hard, as it's not the "Alexandrian" texts themselves that are wrong... it's the translators

that work on the particular Version. The NIV is not very true to the Greek, generally speaking... the texts that they draw from

remain fine though...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  701
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,511
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1955

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, Behold said:

Check your bible version....... 1st Timothy 3:16.

Look for the word .."God", in "God was manifested in the flesh".

If your bible does not have "God" but has "he" or "the one" or has omitted the verse.....then it has removed the Truth from the Truth....

"He [God] was made visible in human flesh..." and also "He (Jesus Christ) who was revealed in human flesh...," both from the Amplified Bible.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Behold said:

Check your bible version....... 1st Timothy 3:16.

Look for the word .."God", in "God was manifested in the flesh".

If your bible does not have "God" but has "he" or "the one" or has omitted the verse.....then it has removed the Truth from the Truth, so then, remove that book from your life.

Try a dumpster, for best results, as you want to put it where it belongs.

If you look at the Greek word here and check a concordance that word is used several hundred times but only once Translated God.

Many of the newer versions it is translated as Jesus.    The Greek word there is a pronoun and probably should be He.    but we all know who the he is so unless you want to use this for something the original isn't saying I don't see any problem with God, He or Jesus.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

thats the strange thing with bibles... KJV came about cos Henry V111 wanted a quickie divorce and hence the protest. so why did King Charles have it produced ah this is way off topic

anyways for those who have also pondered...
http://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/timeline/1601-1700/story-behind-king-james-bible-11630052.html

https://www.christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/bible-translator-who-shook-henry-viii/

Guest Wanda01
5 hours ago, Teditis said:

maI think that Satan is very subtle sometimes and use small tactics to destroy.

KJ-Onlyists tend to look down on other Christians because they look down on the versions of their Bibles... thereby implying

that others don't have a fuller understanding of God, as they do. This causes division amongst Believers and that's something

that Satan revels in. The Pride that KJV onlyists show is self-apparent and pride is not from God, right?

On top of all that.. the mere notion that the KJV is without error is erroneous in itself... it's not "truth". And I think that Satan is

the Father of Lies... ergo, the KJ-onlyists are following lies and even preaching lies to others... confusing many. What of all the

non-English speaking brethren in the world? Are they to be without the whole Truth of God's Word, simply because they speak and

read other languages? Of course not... other Versions have been shown to be as accurate if not more accurate to the earliest writings

and God has made His Word known in many tongues. Why would anyone dispute this as vociferously as a KJ-onlyist would? I think

that's it's because they're deceived by Satan's lies.

No apology for the vile accusations you made in your first, and now deleted reply, to the two people on this thread who identify as KJV; more of the same accusations shows YOUR arrogance, not mine. I shouldn't have to explain to anyone why we only read KJV, but I will. It's quite simple: It is the version of the Bible, that I was first exposed to when I became a Christian, therefore the first one I read and became comfortable with. I wouldn't know whether other translations are as accurate or otherwise, as I have not read them to compare.

I have NEVER, ever insinuated, implied, or accused someone else of being "less than", because of the translation they read, or anything else for that matter. 

My righteousness....all of our's in fact, is as filthy rags.

*On a side note while I am thinking on it, I am going to say my peace and then be done with this fiasco.

I joined this site/forum seeking fellowship, discussion, and per chance real friendships with people I naively thought would be likeminded (ie: Bible believing Christians). I do not liken that to always being in agreement, because obviously, no two people agree 100% of the time on 100% of the issues. But most people can agree to being respectful and considerate of others. How sad that even some people who profess to be Christian(s) cannot even manage that!

I had hoped it would also be a place where my daughter could come to comfortably be in fellowship with other Christians, as she grows in her faith and walk, so I wanted to spend time vetting this forum, before I allowed my daughter to join. How relieved I am that I did just that. I would not want her to join this forum anymore than I wish to remain a member.

What I have found however is much of the same that is found in this thread: Division, false accusations, strife, discord, and quite frankly....no love for the brethren.

Remember your testimony, folks. Before you get to tap, tap, tapping away at that keyboard, ask yourself, are you replying in the flesh? How might you say something differently, if you were to consider the person reading? Are your words edifying, or cruel and lacking in love?

I am done here. I wouldn't know who to contact to delete my membership, but should a moderator stumble upon this reply, by all means, please do delete me. I've had my fill of this nonsense.

Wanda

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  73
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I have a NT by Kenneth S. Wuest that I am enjoying very much, and find it illuminates a great many verses, some of the amplified translations come close to it.

It really brings out the experiential aspect of the Christian faith.

best wishes

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

5 hours ago, other one said:

maybe I am wrong but the KJ only people that I know are concerned with the manuscripts that the newer versions are translated from...   The Alexanderian influence that is injected into the Nestle is a little disturbing to me also.

Fact is in my opinion none of the English versions are totally true to the original for you have to go to paraphrase versions to really convey some of the meanings of the Greek words for they just don't translate......     too many words translated Hell, and even more Love.

but almost any of the translations can get you saved if you look at the whole book.   I personally don't know anyone who thinks I will go to hell because I don't read the KJ all the time.     My personal favorites is the missionary......   tell me about Jesus, fill me with the Holy Spirit and let me lead the life the Spirit leads me to have.

I think this is a well balanced post, the only thing makes me scratch my head a little, is the "Alexanderian (SIC) influence". I have to wonder why Alexandrian influence is of necessity of any more concern that European influence - or more to the point, the influence of Erasmus (a Roman Catholic humanist who wrote in Latin) on the Textus Receptus - not sure how that is any better.

I agree with you, that all versions have some problems, and the implication that when you read most any version in it's entirety, you will find every important doctrine is well preserved (if that is what you were saying).

The King James translators did a truly great job and we are indebted to them, but they are not just the only ones who have excellently translated His word. God is not limited to the English language, and is fully able to preserve His message to us. He was able to do so before the KJV, and He has been able to since, and will continue to be in the future.

Good post!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,192
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Birthday:  01/12/1957

8 hours ago, CSLJ said:

I have a NT by Kenneth S. Wuest that I am enjoying very much, and find it illuminates a great many verses, some of the amplified translations come close to it.

I also have a copy of Wuest's NT translation.  It is a good supplement to the other translations I compare.

9 hours ago, Wanda01 said:

My righteousness....all of our's in fact, is as filthy rags.

Just a side note, even the translators really didn't quite bring the effect of the original Hebrew of that passage.  If they had done their job and not worried about offending anyone, it would have been translated in the literal as "used menstrual cloths" and not "filthy rags".  Used menstrual cloths has a much deeper punch on getting the idea across how nasty our supposed righteousness is.   The Hebrew word behind "filthy" in the translations means menstrual flux or discharge.  The Hebrew language can get pretty graphic and down to earth sometimes.  The KJV had no problem using the word "piss" and it clearly means urine.  

• Thumbs Up 1