• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

1 hour ago, Dennis1209 said:

Or in the midst of Roman soldiers and a large mob, draw his sword and cut off a priests ear. I'm sure Peter wasn't aiming just for an ear.

Excellent example :)  I have no idea if that was insane courage, or stuck on stupid, but it sure WASN'T cowardice :)   I got a feeling we might get a good laugh out of hearing Peter retell that one one fine day.  I'd love to have a few days in the woods with him and few others, and a few nights around a campfire swapping stories of life here....If we got Peter in the group we shouldn't lack for fish to enjoy :)  I need to remember to invite Malchus on that camping trip....

Edited by Jostler
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  349
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,505
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

31 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

So far Jostler has given Scriptural evidence toward Peter's character which I think is valid... There are other indicators more pertinent even than this...

By the context of scripture, the tone and Peter's cursing... I'd say he was angry, and perhaps his thoughts were like most of the other disciples, Jesus wasn't going to be the Lamb and Messiah, but a political leader to restore Israel and shake the Roman bondage.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  2,679
  • Content Per Day:  1.38
  • Days Won:  16

Just now, maryjayne said:

some people have a type of courage which is great for fast thinking, swift acting situations, but given the enduring patient situation they crumble. Others are the opposite. Many are somewhere in between.

Peter strikes me as the impetuous fast acting sort of person who acts first and then apologises afterwards. He seems to have a big, loving,generous heart too. 

I have a very similar concept of Peter.  Passionate, impulsive, capable of decisive action, with a propensity for sticking his big foot in his mouth.  I suspect he was a pretty big guy, but never a bully.  I wish I could say I identify with John out of all the disciples...the disciple who learned to love the best.  But i think I'm more like Peter's mix of bold frailties.....whatever the case, I can't wait to talk to him face to face :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

There is a real (biblical) Peter (and Mary) and then there is the blasphemous distortion that the Church of Rome has made of them.

To students of prophesy, there are biblical clues ... such as ... get thee behind me Satan ... the denial three times... the "adding" of the word peter or petrus to Simon ... the word meaning "rock" and small rocks were used to count or calculate during biblical times.

Jesus is our ROCK ... peter is the rock of romanism.

The VICTORS over the image, mark and number of the beast sing the Song of Moses Deut 32.  Read this passage and you will see what I (and God) means about "their rock" and our ROCK.

These victors are noted in Rev 15:3 ... (153) and that is in reference to the mystery of the 153 fish. Jn 21:11

Peter was naked, and although no one is instructed to "count" the number of fish ... it is "peter" that is associated with the counting.

Getting back to the Church of Rome built upon "peter", each and every pope sits in the "chair of peter" and wears the ring of "peter".  When pope Paul VI spoke to the reporters prior to addressing the UN, he said "do you know who I am?  My name is peter".

Each and every "papal peter" is the living speaking "image" of peter. 

Some biblical points about our biblical peter is to students of prophecy and not necessarily about his actual character.  Enough said.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  19
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,360
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

I think BB has brought through some valid thoughts, as for me, I think that Peter was suffering from a case of "fear of man" syndrome. Though, in saying that, in other places he showed no fear in proclaiming Jesus, just saying...

• Thumbs Up 2

Peter was cowardly. That is the beauty and power of it all! He was human like us. The gospel therefore rings deeply true. He was no hero. He hated himself for denying Christ. 

Christ's forgiveness and love transformed a cowardly simple fisherman to a great man who later, filled with the Holy Spirit, spread the Word. Couldn't stop spreading it. Eventually died an appalling death for his faith in Christ and joined Him in heaven. 

How amazing. That is the essence of how Christ transforms us from sinning wretches to shining people who are filled with the glory of our Lord. 

In my tiny way, i am a very different woman to how i was before i became a Christian. 

Coward to powerful yet humble. Forgiven. Wow! 

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

God knows our hearts better than we do. Even though He knows the ways we will fail Him He does not stop loving us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.86
  • Days Won:  5

Strange how nobody credits John with the courage he displayed on that awful day....John was surely risking his life as he stayed with Jesus to the very end.....I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he was the only disciple that did not die a horrendous death

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  774
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Peter did not understand at that time that Jesus must b sacrificed n resurrected to defeat death !!!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,664
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

No cowardness at all to be found within Peter.

..."Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee. He saw two brothers. They were Simon (his other name was Peter) and Andrew, his brother. They were putting a net into the sea for they were fishermen.  Jesus said to them, “Follow Me. I will make you fish for men!”  At once they left their nets and followed Him."...

That Peter denied Jesus three times is not evidence of cowardness. Confusion on Peter's part perhaps, even a delaying tactic while he tries to figure out what has happened and what to do next, maybe.  For His Lord whom he was willing to die by the sword for  denied Peter that act. 

All the disciples denied Jesus as they must  to have fulfilled prophesy. Without their falling away from Jesus there would be claim that the prophesy “Awake, O sword, against my shepherd, against the man who stands next to me,” declares the Lord of hosts. “Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; I will turn my hand against the little ones."  had not been fulfilled and therefore this Jesus is not Messiah:

"...And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.  Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’  But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.”  Peter answered him, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.”  Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.”  Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” And all the disciples said the same. "

Why even His Father departed from Him at the cross, but would one conclude God to be a coward?  ..." And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” that is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”

The falling away  is not the act of a coward it is the supernatural evidence of God's sovereignty.

..."The plans of the heart belong to man,
    but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord.".... ..."The lot is cast into the lap,
    but its every decision is from the Lord.".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1