IGNORED

Should we expect christians to behave like christians?

firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Matthew 22:36-40 NASB "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

This is not easy to do. We can only make the attempt with God's help - God working in and through us. That requires prayer and yielding to God. So, the attempt gives God all the Glory - just as it should.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Have to agree!  There is a song that came out when my kids were teens - "They will know we are Christians by our love".  I guess the question is really - do they?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,244
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I really don't care much about how other Christians think I should act. I do care how I allow God to be seen in me. I care about letting Him down when I have a bad attitude. Yesterday I realized that I needed to forgive the man who baptized me 54 years ago! It grew into some bitterness toward others who were like him, and God just now pointed that out to me. There is always room to grow and change. I can't change others. That is God's job. I can only ask God to change me..

Part of the probem is that occasionally people spend more time worrying about how other Christians act and not enough time listening to what God wants them to do. And I had developed a bad attitude toward one of these people.

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Who is a Christian?

Those that show up on Sunday morn and hold down the pue? and after church, goes to Wal Mart and passes the guy on by that is holding up a sign,  "NEED FOOD".

Or, are they christians that pass you by while you are walking to church on Sunday morn carry a BIBLE? and she goes to the same church you do and wants to teach me something in Sunday school?

Oh, are they christians that know you live without electric and haven't even offered you as much as a candle?

Visually, one knows Sunday afternoon they just come from church because they are in suits and dresses going about their worldly business. They aren't speaking GOD's word. They left HIM at the church on the pue.

Where are the Christians??? I sure haven't seen any, including myself, but GOD has changed me. What say ye?

"Bare ye one anothers burdens"  thank GOD for the samaritans!!!

God Bless

I agree; especially considering myself.    Ever ask yourself if I was on trial for being a Christian would there be enough evidence to convict me?  Very scary most believers practice James 1:23-24.

Edited by 19Duggarfan

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Should we expect Christians to behave like the bible says Christians should? .......of course we should ......it's a strange question to ask . :confused:

Let not your heart be troubled—John 14:27

Let your light shine—Matthew 5:16

Do not commit adultery—Matthew 5:27-30

Love your enemies—Matthew 5:44 

Judge not—Matthew 7:1-2 

Honour your parents—Matthew 15:4 

Love your neighbour—Matthew 22:39 

Celebrate the Lord’s supper—Matthew 26:26- 2

Make and baptize disciples—Matthew 28:19.........and lots more .

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Should we expect Christians to behave like the bible says Christians should?

It did occur to me that a consequence of Grace is the relaxation of the believer towards God. He's not the big boogie man other religions make their gods out to be (or the one legalists try to make God out to be). And sadly that brings out some of the worst in us. Human nature is still the thorn in our side so to speak. But his grace is sufficient for us. Still it is our choice to live like we love the God who loved us enough to pay the ultimate price for our sin... by controlling and caging that human nature as much as we can and with increasing self discipline. 

Do not be surprised by the Jesus Fish on the back of the car whose driver just cut you off in traffic and flipped you off in the rear mirror. It is who we really are (until we are perfected when he comes, raptured, or die). We are a new creation in that we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit of God and we can therefore choose to go against our human nature and live by the spirit rather than the flesh. BUT we still have the flesh to contend with till he comes.

Edited by JohnD

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hi Firestormx,

The very reason we need a Saviour is because we are incapable of being good enough to earn our own salvation. That is the premise of grace.

We are made perfect through the cross of Christ, but we still need to go through the process of sanctification (Hebrews 10:14). A sincere Christian has received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The influence of the Spirit will move a person away from the works of the flesh, and towards the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:19-23). But there are many complex issues affecting the progress of this walk.

Some Christians have been Christians for decades, whilst others have been Christians for minutes. Some have come to Christ less damaged than others; who might have to overcome the baggage of addiction or abuse etc. Some Christians may have encountered personal tragedy or experienced disillusionment with the church – or had some other stumbling block placed before them - that may have halted their spiritual progress for a time. Not all teachers are equal. Some may have sat under a ministry that neglected to inform the congregation that they should seek personal fellowship with Christ for themselves.

Jesus said He will build His church (Matthew 16:18). I am happy to trust Him with that responsibility.

Romans 14:4

Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand.

So I am further happy to trust God to minister righteousness in an individual. I find little is achieved by standing back and pointing the finger at the imperfections of other Christians – because even though I might be doing OK now, I know it is only by His grace that I stand. But there is significant power the goodness of God to lead a person to long-lasting repentance.

Galatians 6:1

6 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.

God deals with me as an individual. And I should be careful to remember that God also deals with the rest of the church as individuals. They have different burdens than me. Only God is in a position to judge our hearts. I am willing to trust that He can be as graceful and patient with others as He has been with me; that He will bear with and strengthen their weaknesses in His own time; as He has done, and continues to do, in me.

God is not surprised or offended when we fall. This was dealt with on the cross. And He is not insecure about His public reputation.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  134
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  8,142
  • Content Per Day:  2.35
  • Days Won:  20

If God expects Christians to behave like Christians, then we certainly should.  The standards for Christian behaviour and attitudes are in the Bible, particularly in the epistles.  Peter sums it up quite well (2 Pet 1:4-11):

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. 

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

9 But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins. 

10 Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall: 

11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

• Followers:  71
  • Topic Count:  340
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  16,834
  • Content Per Day:  4.72
  • Days Won:  81
  • Birthday:  04/02/2000

Of course.

People can say that they are Christians but not really mean it.

We should know by their fruit.

But those that are true to Christ are expected to behave like the Bible says Christians should.

God Bless you.

Your brother in Christ,

KPaulG.