IGNORED

Should we expect christians to behave like christians?

firestormx

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  545
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

.Christian behavior is not what it ought to be and I really believe that the world's moral decline can partly be placed at our door, because many folk in "the world" look to Christians for the right standards whether it be in conversation/clothing/moral values and so on.. Sadly the examples set by some Christians is a far cry from what it should be....and souls are lost because of it. None of us are perfect we are all a work in progress but we should all be striving to walk in the way the Lord has set out for us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

What I think sets a questionable example are the elders who find golf, walking or some other excuse not to come to church.What example are they setting for the others? Being an elder to some is a status symbol without fully taking seriously what they commit to when accepting the position. 

If I judge the elders wrongly may God forgive me.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I don't think we should have any expectations.  The common denominator is not how we act, but the life of Christ in us.

As Paul aptly put it: For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.  I Cor 2:2

The rest?  causes a world of disappointment 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I wrote this up a few years ago and posted it to a secular site that I belong too.

What I Think It Means To Be A Christian:

I sort if feel like I have been given a calling. A calling to show people what it means to be a Christian. I don't think Christianity is about rather or not you are pro-choice or pro-life. Or rather or not you are for or against gay marriage. I think Christianity is about love. Love for everyone around you. No matter if they are gay, or people who perform abortions. Or people who practice a different religion from you. I think that if we show love to people then we show Christ. Even if they never convert to our faith. We show love and care for their needs regardless. Some times I have heard it said that we are to befriend people so that they may come to know Christ. But I think as Christians we are to befriend people simply because that is what Christ would do. With no hidden agenda. The world views Christians as judgmental, bigoted, people who hate those who are different from them and fearful of what they do not understand. Who shun people who are of a different religion or believe and persecute them for their believes. I have to say that sadly, I cannot blame the world for feeling this way. I have known people who called themselves Christian. They lived an up right moral life. But yet they seem to have a hatred for those who did not share in their believes. A kind of " stay away from me you filthy sinner " type attitude to those around them. So much so that people did not want to be around them. People were afraid of them. Afraid they would judge by them. Or treated with hostility. From the depths of my heart, I do not feel like that is what Christianity is about. But from the depths of my heart I feel like Christianity is about showing real love to your fellow man or women. Once you have the love of Christ in your heart. The love is what you show the world. Not hatred, not judgment, not persecution. But Love.

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

What is christian.does going to church make someone a christian.even criminals goes to church.harlot goes to church.if you ask them they will tell you that they are christians.i believed been a christian is just a proccess of believing in christ.there is a differnce between knowing the truth and obeying the truth.knowing the truth means been a christian.and obeying the truth means been born again"

• Group:  Seeker
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, Christians should act like Christians....sort of.   To me, this means to love and seek after God continually/continuously and to love your neighbour.  Those who are newly saved and just learning to seek God might have many behaviours that are contrary to the Christian life. But if they are continually growing and letting the Spirit guide them, then they are doing what's right.  After I came back to God, I stopped sinning intentionally, but I did (and still do!) many things wrong.  I can honestly say though, that when the Spirit points out to me something I need to change, I set about struggling to do so, with the Spirit's help.  There is fruit in my life though, little fruit at first that keeps growing as I keep following God.  "You will know them by their fruit".  Fruit can take time to grow.  If all someone's faith is  is a set of 'beliefs' and nothing else, I'd try to help that person find a deeper Christian life.  I believe people can be saved simply from a faith in Jesus even if they never do anything else, but what kind of life is that?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Being a Christian is a timely process.God is working in you.The saying"God is not through with me yet" is correct.I always pray "You are the potter I am the clay please mold me unto the person who you want me to be".

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Birthday:  06/13/1993

yes

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19

BoPeep I agree with you.  The day you accept Jesus into your heart and become a true believer - yes you will do some changing but it's not all overnight!  Paul writes about feeding milk to the baby Christians...God works on us and it just takes time but here is the thing:  When the Bible calls us "saints" it doesn't mean we are perfect while we are still here on earth!  We don't get rid of our humanity until the Lord calls us home.  We are saved and in God's eyes our sins are erased but He isn't finished with us yet.  Please don't expect Christians to be perfect.  They may be fighting a number of old sins and just haven't won yet but they will.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,135
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Matt 25:31-46

31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 "And all the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left. 34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You drink? 38'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39'And when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 "And the King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.' 41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 "Then they themselves also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' 45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 "And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
NASB

It's in red for a reason.