christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

One-third of Americans reject evolution

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Getting fewer as I get older.

By Chris Francescani

NEW YORK (Reuters) - One-third of Americans reject the idea of evolution and Republicans have grown more skeptical about it, according to a poll released on Monday.

Sixty percent of Americans say that "humans and other living things have evolved over time," the telephone survey by the Pew Research Center's Religion and Public Life Project showed (Click http://www.pewforum....uman-evolution/ for the full survey).

But 33 percent reject the idea of evolution, saying that "humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time," Pew said in a statement.

Although this percentage remained steady since 2009, the last time Pew asked the question, there was a growing partisan gap on whether humans evolved.

"The gap is coming from the Republicans, where fewer are now saying that humans have evolved over time," said Cary Funk, a Pew senior researcher who conducted the analysis.

The poll showed 43 percent of Republicans and 67 percent of Democrats say humans have evolved over time, compared with 54 percent and 64 percent respectively four years ago.

Among religious groups, white evangelical Protestants topped the list of those rejecting evolution, with 64 percent of those polled saying they believe humans have existed in their present form since the beginning of time.

"This has been a staple of evangelical Protestantism for nearly 100 years," said Alan Lichtman, an American University history professor and author of "White Protestant Nation: The Rise of the American Conservative Movement."

Among Americans who say that humans have evolved over time, a quarter told Pew that "a supreme being guided the evolution of living things."

The survey of 1,983 adults in all 50 states was conducted from March 21 to April 8. The margin of error was 3 percentage points, meaning results could vary that much either way.

(Reporting By Chris Francescani; Editing by Ian Simpson and Jonathan Oatis)

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

And the other 2/3?

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Interests:Getting fewer as I get older.

And the other 2/3?

The second sentence reads: "Sixty percent of Americans say that "humans and other living things have evolved over time," the telephone survey by the Pew Research Center's Religion and Public Life Project showed (Click http://www.pewforum....uman-evolution/ for the full survey)."

Spock

Spock

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Prophecy, tennis, golf, us presidents, astronomy, children, fantasy football, good tv/film
Well, I'm not expecting to be on the majority side when it comes to faith issues.

You either believe Adam and Eve were two literal people specially created by God, or you believe Adam and Eve were two not literal people who broke away from their chimpanzee ancestors.

Jesus references them is all I need, if I needed anything more, for affirmation.

KC02

KC02

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Computer programming (mostly web related nowadays)
    Prospecting for gold.

I'm amazed that 2/3 of the population is brainwashed. Although the Bible isn't a science book (it’s a book about God) it doesn’t mean the story of creation is any less true. If we don’t believe the literal story of creation, and we teach our kids that the story is only figurative, then we shouldn’t be surprised when the masses reject the whole Bible as superstitious nonsense.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,130 posts
  • Interests:Ridng my motorcycle, coaching/playing intramural sports, reading, studying, running, fantasy football, etc.

A quarter of the people that believe in evolution, believe a higher power guided it.  Those are the people we need to reach out to.  That would put our numbers at about 58% if we could convince them that a higher power, our Creator, did not need to evolve us, and that He is capable enough of creating us from the elements.

One thing that really stands out in this poll is how fewer people believe in evolution the way it's taught now, than they did 10 or even 20 years ago.

I think a good argument to evolutionists could be, how did bread come about, it didn't evolve into a loaf, an intelligent being guided its development with knowledge and skilled hands.

What is bread?  Flower, milk, eggs, etc.

We used base elements to create bread, something far more superior to what it began as.

Why can't someone more intelligent and more skilled than us, use elements to create us, if we can do the same for the stuff we create?

Can a monkey combine elements to create a new substance? 

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,934 posts
  • Interests:Worship dance
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

The power to create new things is something definitely unique to human beings. Ever hear of an animal that expresses its feelings through art?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

The power to create new things is something definitely unique to human beings. Ever hear of an animal that expresses its feelings through art?

I've seen Elephants paint.....   don't know if he was expressing his feelings or not.

I've seen Chimps paint but who knows what they were thinking....

I've watched crows use things for tools to get food......   also chimps

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,020 posts
  • Interests:Reading,Knitting,Jigsaw Puzzles.and I love to bake.

I've seen Elephants paint.....   don't know if he was expressing his feelings or not.

But they are still elephants,chimps and crows.All of the talent they may have has been given to them by God.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,464 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

But they are still elephants, chimps and crows. All of the talent they may have has been given to them by God.

:thumbsup:

I've Seen Ponderous Elephants Write Law

O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth. Selah. Psalms 67:4

And Chimps Climb Trees

Who teacheth us more than the beasts of the earth, and maketh us wiser than the fowls of heaven? Job 35:11

And Crows Fly

Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls? Luke 12:24

So Why

I have made the earth, the man and the beast that are upon the ground, by my great power and by my outstretched arm, and have given it unto whom it seemed meet unto me. Jeremiah 27:5

Why Can't I

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,934 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science

There's a difference between painting (dipping a brush in paint and applying it to a canvas to form something) and painting (creating a picture that expresses something or make a statement).

There's a difference between using something for a tool and transforming things to make it into something else.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

There's a difference between painting (dipping a brush in paint and applying it to a canvas to form something) and painting (creating a picture that expresses something or make a statement).

There's a difference between using something for a tool and transforming things to make it into something else.

But those things are simple things for simple minds...   maybe with the exception of the elephants....   they seem to be rather complex creatures.....   as for the paintings, who am I to say it was just slopped on paint....

I'm just being difficult today.....     it's probably from having a sick wife, going to the bathroom every hour and freezing half to death having to go outside twice today.....   my broken arm hurts and life is bothersome today.'

I'm a grumpy old man...

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

But I don't believe in Natural Evolution and humans are only 6,000 or so years old.......   the rest of the place in my world is still being decided.   Until I find out where the angels all live and have for who knows how long, I'm not into a young universe.

I read an article the other day that some old priest had said that there were at least ten dimensions in our little world, and that was back in the 1200's.....    I really have to find out where he got that from. 

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Interests:My Heavenly Father,Jesus Christ,the Holy Spirit,the Bible,people,all Gods creatures(great,small & furry),from the sublime to the ridiculous,learning in general

Blessings Everyone,,,,

Just in case anyone is interested.....the elephants are "trained",not even "taught" because they are not making  a conscience effort to do this "trick" by moving the bottom of their ears in the direction they want them to move the mbr6ush being held by their trunks......the chimps are also "trained" by reward for imitating the actions of the handler...

I am really surprised by this poll,I didn't read the article but I am wondering how many people participated in this survey & how they came up with their estimations(1/3 of Americans)because nobody asked me & I am an American?I think it would be more accurate to state that 1/3 of the Americans that participated in the survey etc.......

Praise & Glory to God,let us pray,clearly there are alot of people that do not believe that God created Adam & Eve

With love,in Christ-Kwik

other one, sure do hope you & your wife feel better real soon :heart:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,934 posts
    Outdoors
    Earth and Space Science
I'm just being difficult today.....     it's probably from having a sick wife, going to the bathroom every hour and freezing half to death having to go outside twice today.....   my broken arm hurts and life is bothersome today.'

I'm a grumpy old man...

(((Hugs)))

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,414 posts

A quarter of the people that believe in evolution, believe a higher power guided it.  Those are the people we need to reach out to.  That would put our numbers at about 58% if we could convince them that a higher power, our Creator, did not need to evolve us, and that He is capable enough of creating us from the elements.

One thing that really stands out in this poll is how fewer people believe in evolution the way it's taught now, than they did 10 or even 20 years ago.

I think a good argument to evolutionists could be, how did bread come about, it didn't evolve into a loaf, an intelligent being guided its development with knowledge and skilled hands.

What is bread?  Flower, milk, eggs, etc.

We used base elements to create bread, something far more superior to what it began as.

Why can't someone more intelligent and more skilled than us, use elements to create us, if we can do the same for the stuff we create?

Can a monkey combine elements to create a new substance? 

On the subject of elements....these are found in the human body: iron, iodine, fluoride, copper, zinc, chromium, selenium, manganese and molybdenum (maybe more, but I forget).  They are also found in plain old garden variety soil.  Proof enough for me that God created man just as the Bible says.  :mgbowtie: 

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,414 posts

But those things are simple things for simple minds...   maybe with the exception of the elephants....   they seem to be rather complex creatures.....   as for the paintings, who am I to say it was just slopped on paint....

I'm a grumpy old man...

Sorry you're having a bad day, O.O.  I will pray for the Lord to bring you (and your wife) a better one tomorrow. 

coheir

coheir

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Hunt , Fish, shoot pool, read kjv

Well if i were an animal and had reasoning like a human Id put down that brush and get on with making a warm place to live next winter rather than snuggling up to a tree or rock.

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

By Chris Francescani

NEW YORK (Reuters) - One-third of Americans reject the idea of evolution and Republicans have grown more skeptical about it, according to a poll released on Monday.

Sixty percent of Americans say that "humans and other living things have evolved over time," the telephone survey by the Pew Research Center's Religion and Public Life Project showed (Click http://www.pewforum....uman-evolution/ for the full survey).

But 33 percent reject the idea of evolution, saying that "humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time," Pew said in a statement.

Although this percentage remained steady since 2009, the last time Pew asked the question, there was a growing partisan gap on whether humans evolved.

"The gap is coming from the Republicans, where fewer are now saying that humans have evolved over time," said Cary Funk, a Pew senior researcher who conducted the analysis.

The poll showed 43 percent of Republicans and 67 percent of Democrats say humans have evolved over time, compared with 54 percent and 64 percent respectively four years ago.

Among religious groups, white evangelical Protestants topped the list of those rejecting evolution, with 64 percent of those polled saying they believe humans have existed in their present form since the beginning of time.

"This has been a staple of evangelical Protestantism for nearly 100 years," said Alan Lichtman, an American University history professor and author of "White Protestant Nation: The Rise of the American Conservative Movement."

Among Americans who say that humans have evolved over time, a quarter told Pew that "a supreme being guided the evolution of living things."

The survey of 1,983 adults in all 50 states was conducted from March 21 to April 8. The margin of error was 3 percentage points, meaning results could vary that much either way.

(Reporting By Chris Francescani; Editing by Ian Simpson and Jonathan Oatis)

A lot of Bible believing born again Christians accept Darwinian principles as gospel despite the fact that the Bible indicates otherwise and that Darwin was a racist, sexist atheist.

Do you know the full title of Darwin's book published in 1859?  Most folks only know it by it's abbreviated title 'Origin of the Species'.  The actual full title is:

“ON THE ORIGIN OF SPECIES BY MEANS OF NATURAL SELECTION, OR THE PRESERVATION OF FAVORED RACES IN THE STRUGGLE FOR LIFE”

The Bible doesn't even use the word 'race', but describes all human beings as being of 'one blood'.  (Acts 17:26)

In Louisiana, African American State Representative Sharon Weston Broome charged that, "Darwin's ideas on how humans evolved are racist and the key reason for race problems [and] provide the main rationale for racism." As Broome logically concluded, "If evolution has provided the main rationale for racism, and we are teaching our children evolution in schools, then correspondingly we are teaching them racist principles."

Darwinís primary racist viewpoints summed up:

1.  Humans are divided into sub-species 
2.  The strongest live and the weakest die, which is good (Hitler and Marx agreed) 
3.  The sub-species are not simply variants 
4.  A "race war" would be beneficial to mankind 
5.  Blacks and Aborigines occupy a sub-species between Apes and Caucasians 
6.  The extinction of blacks and gorillas to advance the white "race" is good 
7.  Sub-species are also known as races 
8.  Different sub-species have different characteristics, such as mental capabilities 
9.  Irish are also non-Aryan and should be extinct 
10. Europe doesnít owe any ancestry to the Greeks 
11. It would be good if a wealthy nation replaces a less privileged race 
12. Christianity is a damnable doctrine, and Hitler agreed saying it is a rebellion against nature 
13. Social Darwinism includes imperialism, racial extermination and sexual inequality and Darwinism was intended to explain society as a whole 
14. "lower class" races should not normally be cared for; they should not multiply and should become extinct

Darwin was also a sexist.  Read what the man had to say.

"The chief distinction in the intellectual powers of the two sexes is shewn by man's attaining to a higher eminence, in whatever he takes up, than can woman--whether requiring deep thought, reason, or imagination, or merely the use of the senses and hands...We may also infer, from the law of the deviation from averages, so well illustrated by Mr. Galton, in his work on 'Hereditary Genius,' that if men are capable of a decided pre-eminence over women in many subjects, the average of mental power in man must be above that of woman."

It's only in outstanding achievements - either for good OR for ill - that men tend to dominate. One way of seeing this is that the curve of women's achievements fits inside the curve of men's achievements, either way.

Finally it should be noted that Christian acceptance of atheist Darwinian arguments is self-defeating for those who wish to defend the gospel and their own faith in Christ.  It is easy for the most inept atheist philosopher to turn a Christians' argument inside out.  On the other hand, using the Bible as a weapon and a standard in the battle seldom embarrasses the Christian apologist unless of course they have been too slack in their studies of God's Holy Word.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network