christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IHOP being sued by IHOP!

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts
Quote KansasCity.com;

IHOP (the pancake-maker) sues IHOP (the prayer center) over trademark
By DONALD BRADLEY
The Kansas City Star

Pancakes and prayers — have we reached a point where even those two can’t get along?

Frankly, yes. So praise the Lord and pass the syrup, the International House of Pancakes and International House of Prayer are fixing to throw down.

IHOP (pancake), based in Glendale, Calif., has sued IHOP (prayer), based in Kansas City, for trademark dilution and infringement. The lawsuit, filed last week in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, essentially said there was room for only one IHOP and that would be the restaurant chain that has been using the initials since 1973.

The religious group drawing thousands from around the world to south Kansas City to prepare for “end times” was started just 10 years ago.

Other than an acronym, the two have nearly zilch in common.

The IHOP (prayer) on Red Bridge Road operates 24/7/365, sending a never-ending digital signal of prayers to Jerusalem, where it streams live on God TV for broadcast all over the world.

The other largely operates 24/7/365, too, but it is known for its pancakes, including a signature breakfast specialty called “Rooty Tooty Fresh ’N Fruity.”

But the chain, which has 1,476 restaurants across the country, claims it has six registered trademarks with the IHOP acronym and that the religious group’s use of the same four-letter logo causes, according to the lawsuit, “great and irreparable injury and confuses the public.”

The lawsuit further accuses the church mission of adopting the name International House of Prayer knowing it would be abbreviated IHOP — the intent being to misappropriate fame and notoriety of the food chain.

On Tuesday, IHOP (pancake) spokesman Patrick Lenow said the suit was filed only after the church mission refused repeated requests to stop using the trademark.

“We are compelled to protect the 350 small-business owners who own IHOP franchises and the IHOP good name that’s been around for 52 years,” Lenow said.

Thus the question, why sue now? The church mission started calling itself IHOP a decade ago.

“They’ve expanded — and now some of the branches are serving food,” Lenow said.

Among the seven defendants, four are in California where the suit was filed, including the Pasadena International House of Prayer. Although the suit also seeks attorney fees and costs of litigation, it does not ask for monetary damages.

Calls to IHOP (prayer) chief operating officer Mark Schumacher were not returned.

Gary Cooper, a former Houston attorney who until recently served as the mission’s chief financial officer, said the lawsuit lacked legal basis.

“I don’t think it will go anywhere,” Cooper, who serves on an IHOP board, said Tuesday by telephone from Oklahoma.

But Gary Hecker, a well-known intellectual rights attorney in Los Angeles and founder of the Hecker Law Group, said the court would probably side with the restaurant chain.

“Because of that extremely famous name, IHOP may well have the right to protect itself even well outside the scope of selling pancakes,” Hecker said Tuesday.

One defense might be that the two sides are so different that no confusion could exist.

Even so, Hecker said, “I would take the pancakes.”

IHOP (prayer) was started by a man named Mike Bickle, who by his own admission grew up in a Waldo bar and claims to have traveled to heaven twice.

The ministry is now planning to build a $150 million world headquarters — including IHOP University and a 5,000-seat conference center — along U.S. 71 in Grandview.

Again, IHOP (pancakes) got there first. One of the restaurants is across the highway.

http://www.kansascit...-sues-ihop.html

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
Well, I have to admit, it always did annoy me that the Int. House of Prayer went by the acronym I-Hop as well. It made/makes communication a little confusing.

Believer1997

Believer1997

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,823 posts
Odd... I have never been confused between pancakes and prayers; but, given that the Pancake
IHOP has been around longer than the Prayer IHOP - the suit may prevail in their favor...

It is silly though... imo. :blink:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts

Odd... I have never been confused between pancakes and prayers;

LOL - what I mean is when someone says, "I'm going to I-HOP," the conversation is a bit weird when the speaker meant the one and the listener thought he meant the other.

Believer1997

Believer1997

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,823 posts

Odd... I have never been confused between pancakes and prayers;

LOL - what I mean is when someone says, "I'm going to I-HOP," the conversation is a bit weird when the speaker meant the one and the listener thought he meant the other.

LOL - I know... it is a little confusing - but, not worthy of a lawsuit, imo. :emot-hug:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
True - I mean, what business are they losing? :laugh:

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts
i can understand why the lawsuit would be legally necessary. but it seems to me that the ihop (prayer) ministry should willingly acknowledge the infringement and voluntarily change their name or at least quit using the acronym. frankly, i've always wondered why they chose the name they did anyway, knowing from the very beginning that it was going to step on toes if the ministry ever grew to the size that it now has. even from the first time i ever heard of the ministry, i thought the name was an infringement, and at the very least, was wrong on many levels. it seemed like poor judgment on their part, and i have to wonder if they spent any time in prayer about it before choosing their name.

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts
I know some folks out there so I don't want to step on toes but I've thought the same thing myself sister LadyC. :thumbsup:

Prodigalson123

Prodigalson123

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
whatever happened with being at peace with everyone for as much as is possible? (Rom 12:18) If we are called to be at peace as much as is possible from our side, then the IHOPrayer should have said to themselves it would be wrong to adopt that acronym because that would be trademark infringement. They prayer movement should acquiesce imo

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts

I know some folks out there so I don't want to step on toes but I've thought the same thing myself sister LadyC. :thumbsup:

Ditto, too.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts
hmmmm.... there's a lot of great minds thinking alike in this thread! :wub:

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,547 posts
So Is IHOP Offended By People Who Pray At IHOP? Is Their Food That Bad?

I Agree, The Prayer Ministry Is Confusing When They Use ihop As Their Name....

Makes Me Think About A Triple Stack With Blueberry Syrup! :)

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,991 posts
Actually, I am thinking the problem might be the internet.

www.ihop.com - pancake house

www.ihop.org - prayer

Search "ihop" - you get both.

I bet the pancake house is getting customer complaints about that.

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts
They should just change it to IHOPE and move on. International House of Pray-ers and Evangelists.

LadyC

LadyC

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,140 posts
justin, :thumbsup:

JustinM

JustinM

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,137 posts

justin, :thumbsup:

thank you! :)

Joshua-777

Joshua-777

Royal Member

• Worthy Prayer Partner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,880 posts

So Is IHOP Offended By People Who Pray At IHOP? Is Their Food That Bad?

I Agree, The Prayer Ministry Is Confusing When They Use ihop As Their Name....

Makes Me Think About A Triple Stack With Blueberry Syrup! :)

:thumbsup:

coffeespiller87

coffeespiller87

Veteran Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
WHen I first read the title of this article I was confused becasue I intially thought it was one IHOP suing another IHOP restranant. My curiousity got the better of me and thats how I am here replying after reading the article.

I kinda think that the IHOP- prayer should be more willing to change their name and comply and kinda think that by not doing so its giving Christians a bad name. I think they should be cooperating instead of letting this tension bulid on. We as Christians should behave in ways to make others long for Christ not resent His followers. The way I see it is the prayer organization is defrauding the restraunet and if they dont back down they will make the situation worse.

I seriously wonder if they are aware that they are doing a poor job of representing Christ to the public.

The soultion seems simple. We need to pray for this because seriously my sisters and Brothers the world is having so many negative light on Christians ... u can see for urself by also reading a review on pluggedinonline.org of the movie "Easy A". Christians are portrayled in this movie as hystercial, hypocricital, uncompassionate, judgemental, and uncaring. the movie mocks Christians as well as prayer and singing to God.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,547 posts

WHen I first read the title of this article I was confused becasue I intially thought it was one IHOP suing another IHOP restranant. My curiousity got the better of me and thats how I am here replying after reading the article.

I kinda think that the IHOP- prayer should be more willing to change their name and comply and kinda think that by not doing so its giving Christians a bad name. I think they should be cooperating instead of letting this tension bulid on. We as Christians should behave in ways to make others long for Christ not resent His followers. The way I see it is the prayer organization is defrauding the restraunet and if they dont back down they will make the situation worse.

I seriously wonder if they are aware that they are doing a poor job of representing Christ to the public.

The soultion seems simple. We need to pray for this because seriously my sisters and Brothers the world is having so many negative light on Christians ... u can see for urself by also reading a review on pluggedinonline.org of the movie "Easy A". Christians are portrayled in this movie as hystercial, hypocricital, uncompassionate, judgemental, and uncaring. the movie mocks Christians as well as prayer and singing to God.

Praying!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network