christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animal and blood sacrifice in the days of..

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

In the days of Abraham and throughout the OT and a little bit of the NT, we see animal or blood sacrifices of sheep by slitting of throats. Then we see animal or blood sacrifices in the Holy Temple when Jesus himself gets upset and flips over tables. Then we see scriptures like these..Matt 18:12-14 What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? 13 And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. 14 So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

..and then you see pictures of the Lord holding sheep in his bosom. I don't understand. Why is the Lord ok with Abraham's animal/blood sacrifice, but in the Holy temple he is angry. Why is the Lord ok with slitting of throats of lambs then we see the Lord comforting sheep in the midst of his bosom. - DRS81

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

In the days of Abraham and throughout the OT and a little bit of the NT, we see animal or blood sacrifices of sheep by slitting of throats. Then we see animal or blood sacrifices in the Holy Temple when Jesus himself gets upset and flips over tables. Then we see scriptures like these..Matt 18:12-14 What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray? 13 And if he finds it, truly, I say to you, he rejoices over it more than over the ninety-nine that never went astray. 14 So it is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish.

..and then you see pictures of the Lord holding sheep in his bosom. I don't understand. Why is the Lord ok with Abraham's animal/blood sacrifice, but in the Holy temple he is angry. Why is the Lord ok with slitting of throats of lambs then we see the Lord comforting sheep in the midst of his bosom. - DRS81

Sheep were used for different purposes.  Some sheep were raised to be sacrifices.  In the fields just outside the temple, levitical shepherds raised sheep for the passover and for the daily offerings at the temple.

Sheep are used in the Bible as metaphor for people and the relationship between God and us is seen through the imagery of shepherding and sheepherding.

Why did Jesus get angry in the temple?  He was not angry over the sacrifices of animals.  When Jesus "cleansed" the temple, he said they were making it a den of thieves.  Jews from all over the world were coming to Jersualem for the passover and there were moneychangers present who were suppose to take the foreign currency and give the visiting Jews the proper shekel exchange rate.  But they weren't.  They were giving less that the exchange value they were supposed to give and pocketing the difference.  There is also some suspicion that they were also over charging for the price of the sheep.

It wasn't the selling of the passover sheep that was the problem. It was the ufair fiscal practices that were occurring that enraged Jesus.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

:clap: :thumbsup:

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Sheep were used for different purposes.  Some sheep were raised to be sacrifices.  In the fields just outside the temple, levitical shepherds raised sheep for the passover and for the daily offerings at the temple.

I know that in Leviticus it was a sin to have sex with a woman on her period because blood was sacred then. After the death of Jesus this sacred offering changed because Jesus paid in full the blood and sins of all. The sacrifice is not needed anymore. But my question is.....why sheep?? Why sacrifice sheep? Is it a symbolic gesture of sorts? As in, the lamb of God has been slain for all of humanity's sins? Why were there sacrifices in the first place? Couldn't the people of God in the Bible show their faith in a different way then slitting of throats of lambs? Because in the days of Abraham, his people didn't understand the God (the lamb of God) he was following. I also can't forget (John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!) - DRS81

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

There were a number of different types of animals sacrificed...even birds (doves)

The exception regarding intimacy that you mention in Leviticus is not about blood being sacred.  It has to do with impurity...read the verse and you will see that Lev. 18:19

It's important to study the law and the relation to the sacrifice of Jesus...it's a big subject..

As Shiloh already said:

Sheep are used in the Bible as metaphor for people and the relationship between God and us is seen through the imagery of shepherding and sheepherding.

God required blood for the atonement of sins...but the Bible states that the blood of animals could not really cleanse of sin...only the sinless blood of Christ accomplishes that.

There is foreshadowing regarding Jesus death, but the entire sacrificial system is complicated and exact...

The entire Priesthood was dedicated to God and now we have only Jesus as our High Priest.  It's really worth studying to better understand the NT and the sacrificial death of Jesus

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

I know that in Leviticus it was a sin to have sex with a woman on her period because blood was sacred then. After the death of Jesus this sacred offering changed because Jesus paid in full the blood and sins of all. The sacrifice is not needed anymore. But my question is.....why sheep?? Why sacrifice sheep? Is it a symbolic gesture of sorts? As in, the lamb of God has been slain for all of humanity's sins? Why were there sacrifices in the first place? Couldn't the people of God in the Bible show their faith in a different way then slitting of throats of lambs? Because in the days of Abraham, his people didn't understand the God (the lamb of God) he was following. I also can't forget (John 1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!) - DRS81

I never liked the idea of animal sacrifice and it bugged me for a long time being an animal lover.  But I eat meat and would be a hypocrite to say I was against the killing of animals when I eat them.  Wish there was another way but there isn't unless you go full vegan.  It is one of those things that I have to honor God and know he has his reasons for sacrifice.

God's law is there can be no remission of sins without the shedding of blood.  Sin is in the blood and in the OT they had to transfer that sin into the animal through the high priest.  It's about the transfer of sins, and is a shadow of the transfer of our sins to Jesus.  The price of sin is death and something has to pay the price to uphold justice.

If my memory serves me right any clean animal could be used for the sacrifice.  It is just lambs and doves made the most sense being readily available.  They are symbolic and also tradition.  Lambs are symbolic of man's helplessness also.  A lamb has no self defenses and won't even run away when being killed.  When Jesus came he willingly laid down his life like a sacrificial lamb as a final sacrifice.  Any sacrifice made after Jesus' crucifixion is not needed.

God always intended to pay the price of sin with his own blood.  Even when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son and God stopped him.  God said he'd provide HIMSELF a sacrifice.  Many miss the layered meaning there.  We serve a God that was willing to suffer and give his own life to save us.  But since he was a sinless sacrifice it's like a catch 22.  Jesus paid a price he didn't owe and being God had every legal right to take up his own life from the dead and be restored to the Godhead.  Since he was also God then he could accept our worship and forgive us of our own sins by taking our place.  A kinsman redeemer.  There's reason and meaning to every thing God does and if you really get into the issue it'll blow your mind.

There's many great books written on the blood of Jesus.  If you want to get into some heavy reading then you'd like those.

Oh also.  The story of the 99 sheep and the one that is lost isn't about Jesus love for animals.  Although I do believe God loves all of his creations.  The story's focus is that God cares just as much about the one lost sheep as the other 99.  It's about salvation and how every person is important to God and how he wishes to save us all.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

I never liked the idea of animal sacrifice and it bugged me for a long time being an animal lover.

There's many great books written on the blood of Jesus.  If you want to get into some heavy reading then you'd like those.

Thank you. In the back of my mind I know you guys are correct. I just needed to confirm with my fellow humans. I never liked the idea of animal sacrifice either, but I also know there is deeper meaning behind all that God has done. I just saw the movie 'Abraham', excellent film. I love the main character. Is there any books on amazon in regards..ty - David.

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Oh there was one thing I wanted to mention from your original post.  A woman on her period was considered 'unclean' and that is the reason sex was avoided.  It didn't have to do with blood being precious.  When things were called unclean in the OT they referred to ways you can catch diseases.  It took modern science thousands of years to figure it out but we now know them as germs.

Not focusing on women either- just you mentioned it and I wanted to clear that up.  Many things could make you unclean in the OT that caused seperation from God.  Now we live under the new covenant and are continually washed by the living water and blood of Jesus.

Thankfully God gave us a final sacrifice and we never have to sacrifice another animal to him again.  Not only in the OT did they give up their animal- they had to live with the animal like a pet beforehand.  I believe 14 days they had to care for it inside their household.  By the time they sacrificed the lamb they had grown attachments to it and had to hurt.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Oh there was one thing I wanted to mention from your original post.  A woman on her period was considered 'unclean' and that is the reason sex was avoided.  It didn't have to do with blood being precious.  When things were called unclean in the OT they referred to ways you can catch diseases.  It took modern science thousands of years to figure it out but we now know them as germs.

Not focusing on women either- just you mentioned it and I wanted to clear that up.  Many things could make you unclean in the OT that caused seperation from God.  Now we live under the new covenant and are continually washed by the living water and blood of Jesus.

Thankfully God gave us a final sacrifice and we never have to sacrifice another animal to him again.  Not only in the OT did they give up their animal- they had to live with the animal like a pet beforehand.  I believe 14 days they had to care for it inside their household.  By the time they sacrificed the lamb they had grown attachments to it and had to hurt.

What books do you recommend. Title and Author.

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

There are literally thousands and it's a very popular subject naturally.  Just try and make sure it is a respectable author that sticks to scripture.  You can usually identify where an author is coming from by looking up their biography online.  I haven't read all these but they had been recommended to me.

Andrew Murray (The Power of the Blood, The Lord’s Table, and The Two Covenants), Charles Spurgeon (The Voice of the Blood of Christ, The Precious Blood of Christ, The Blood of Sprinkling, and The Blood), and Rev. William Reid

Also I've been looking at The Blood Covenant : The Scarlet Thread of the Bible by Sten Nilsson.

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,972 posts

I believe that GOD had the Priests use lambs without blemish because they stood as a symbol of innocence and purity - a picture, as others have said here, of Christ.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,466 posts

Why is the Lord ok with slitting of throats of lambs then we see the Lord comforting sheep in the midst of his bosom. - DRS81

:thumbsup:

The

Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. Hebrews 9:11

LORD

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Isaiah 53:7

Is My Shepherd

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Psalms 23:1-3

jaberwockie

jaberwockie
  • Members
  • 30 posts

I never liked the idea of animal sacrifice and it bugged me for a long time being an animal lover.  But I eat meat and would be a hypocrite to say I was against the killing of animals when I eat them.  Wish there was another way but there isn't unless you go full vegan.  It is one of those things that I have to honor God and know he has his reasons for sacrifice.

God's law is there can be no remission of sins without the shedding of blood.  Sin is in the blood and in the OT they had to transfer that sin into the animal through the high priest.  It's about the transfer of sins, and is a shadow of the transfer of our sins to Jesus.  The price of sin is death and something has to pay the price to uphold justice.

If my memory serves me right any clean animal could be used for the sacrifice.  It is just lambs and doves made the most sense being readily available.  They are symbolic and also tradition.  Lambs are symbolic of man's helplessness also.  A lamb has no self defenses and won't even run away when being killed.  When Jesus came he willingly laid down his life like a sacrificial lamb as a final sacrifice.  Any sacrifice made after Jesus' crucifixion is not needed.

God always intended to pay the price of sin with his own blood.  Even when Abraham was going to sacrifice his son and God stopped him.  God said he'd provide HIMSELF a sacrifice.  Many miss the layered meaning there.  We serve a God that was willing to suffer and give his own life to save us.  But since he was a sinless sacrifice it's like a catch 22.  Jesus paid a price he didn't owe and being God had every legal right to take up his own life from the dead and be restored to the Godhead.  Since he was also God then he could accept our worship and forgive us of our own sins by taking our place.  A kinsman redeemer.  There's reason and meaning to every thing God does and if you really get into the issue it'll blow your mind.

Oh also.  The story of the 99 sheep and the one that is lost isn't about Jesus love for animals.  Although I do believe God loves all of his creations.  The story's focus is that God cares just as much about the one lost sheep as the other 99.  It's about salvation and how every person is important to God and how he wishes to save us all.

That was an awesome explanation!

I love trying to interpret the different metaphors in the bible! its like the greatest puzzle ever created!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network