christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Trying to gain some understanding!

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

JJ50

JJ50
  • Banned
  • 18 posts

I think I registered on this forum a few weeks ago, or one very similar, but couldn't find any trace of my registration so have re-registered. I hope that is ok? My intention isn't to intentionally offend anyone but to try to understand, 'why the you must be saved or go to hell' version of Christianity is accepted by some Christians, not all of course.

This is my story and I apologise if I have told it before on this forum

When I was a child we attended a Pentecostal church (Elim) where the hell-fire sermons scared me into having nightmares most nights! This wasn't helped by a sadistic 'born again' grandmother who got great pleasure out of telling me from the age of two the tortures that awaited a naughty little girl like me! That ghastly woman had beaten religion into her own six kids! My mother didn't help by telling me at the age of six, if Jesus came that night I would be left alone at home all by myself. I held out until I was 11 before getting 'saved'. For some of my teenage years I was quite devout, even though I never once had any feeling there was an entity outside of myself. By the time I married and moved to the UK when I was 19, the doubts were too overwhelming and I lost my faith. My husband who was also a 'born again' had studied theology and science for his first degree had also lost his faith too and is now a convinced atheist. I am an agnostic  as I believe it is possible that a deity could exist, but I have doubts that if it does it is in communication with humans.

When our own children came along we let them decide for themselves about matters of religion. Our girls consider themselves Christians, but not Biblical literalists. Our eldest daughter is a very well thought of Anglican priest. They respect our views on matters of faith, as we respect theirs.

I cannot understand how it is possible to be comfortable believing that unless one gets 'saved' one would go to hell for all eternity. The idea that in theory someone as evil as Hitler could make a deathbed conversion and be waved through the pearly gates, but a good atheist who has spent their life helping others is sent to hell, makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

So there you have it.  

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Let me start by welcoming you, JJ50.  I'm sorry to hear all that you've gone through.  Let me assure you of one thing I know for sure:  God loves you!  He loves all of us, and wants to have a relationship with each of us.  I recommend starting again from the very beginning.  This may take some courage, but that's what a leap of faith is all about.  Do feel free to ask any questions, we'll be happy to answer them :)

God bless you!

JJ50

JJ50
  • Banned
  • 18 posts

Thanks for your response. How do you know the deity, if it actually exists, is a God of love, its actions in the Bible are far from loving, in my opinion.

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Good question, I'll try to answer to your satisfaction.  You will find that more people other than myself will also respond :)  I have no answers of my own to draw from; I place total faith in scripture as being divinely inspired:

John 3:16-17

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,498 posts

I think I registered on this forum a few weeks ago, or one very similar, but couldn't find any trace of my registration so have re-registered. I hope that is ok? My intention isn't to intentionally offend anyone but to try to understand, 'why the you must be saved or go to hell' version of Christianity is accepted by some Christians, not all of course.

When I was a child we attended a Pentecostal church (Elim) where the hell-fire sermons scared me into having nightmares most nights! This wasn't helped by a sadistic 'born again' grandmother who got great pleasure out of telling me from the age of two the tortures that awaited a naughty little girl like me! That ghastly woman had beaten religion into her own six kids! My mother didn't help by telling me at the age of six, if Jesus came that night I would be left alone at home all by myself. I held out until I was 11 before getting 'saved'. For some of my teenage years I was quite devout, even though I never once had any feeling there was an entity outside of myself. By the time I married and moved to the UK when I was 19, the doubts were too overwhelming and I lost my faith. My husband who was also a 'born again' had studied theology and science for his first degree had also lost his faith too and is now a convinced atheist. I am an agnostic  as I believe it is possible that a deity could exist, but I have doubts that if it does it is in communication with humans.

When our own children came along we let them decide for themselves about matters of religion. Our girls consider themselves Christians, but not Biblical literalists. Our eldest daughter is a very well thought of Anglican priest. They respect our views on matters of faith, as we respect theirs.

I cannot understand how it is possible to be comfortable believing that unless one gets 'saved' one would go to hell for all eternity. The idea that in theory someone as evil as Hitler could make a deathbed conversion and be waved through the pearly gates, but a good atheist who has spent their life helping others is sent to hell, makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

So there you have it.  

If you are not a believer I can't figure what or why it would matter to you.....

If you do really believe but can't accept some things that is a different story.

When you say that you lost your faith, did you really mean that you no longer believe, or you just don't understand why things are the way they are?

ncn

ncn

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts

I have temporally set JJ50 to Members* until we can verify their membership. 

They can read the boards but not reply. 

Praying for them.

God Bless , 

Nigel ncn ( chat servant ) 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,800 posts

So there you have it.  

It doesn't makes sense does it?   I understand.   One thing you need to keep in mind is that God doesn't judge us on the basis of how good or evil we are.   This is because none of us, despite our behavior are "good" before God.   God has only one standard of goodness that is absolute perfection.  So in order to make it into heaven based on being good, we have meet God's standard of goodness.  He doesn't have a sliding scale with reference to what is good or not.

God has a completely different standard by which we are judged.  We go to heaven, not on the basis of being good, but on the basis of being "righteous."  That means that we go to heaven based on the fact that we have been declared to be in right standing with God.  In the eyes of God, all of us are sinners.  The old hymn says, "Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me..."   Before God all of mankind are wretches, sinners, people who deserve His contempt, but God in His mercy, because He loves us made a way for us to come to Him and be in a loving relationship with Him.  But it will never happen so long as we strive to enter heaven on the basis of our own merits.

The obvious question that follows is, "how can one attain right standing with God without being good?   The answer is that Jesus Christ, God's Son lived a righteous and sinless life.  He was God in the flesh and He fulfilled God's righteousness in His own life and He died on the cross to pay for our sin.  Our sin was imputed or credited to Jesus and He bore the penalty (death) for our sins,  on our behalf.  

The result of that finished work on the cross was that Jesus was raised from the dead which is God the Father's testimony that He was satisfied with Jesus' sacrifice  and on the basis of Jesus' obedience, on the basis of His sacrifice and His righteous, sinless life, all who accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior receive the righteousness of Jesus imputed or credited to them.   Jesus took our sin and has given us His righteousness. 

We are placed in right standing with God based not on anything we have done, no matter how good our deeds have been, but solely on the finished work of Christ.  That is why the vilest sinner in the world who puts his faith in Jesus can be put in right standing with God.  Jesus already paid for that man's sins.

That is the way into heaven and that is the path we must all choose if we want to be in relationship with the Lord.  He alone as the sovereign authority to decide who belongs in heaven and it is His desire that all men repent.  The Bible says that it is not God's will that any should perish, but that all men would come to repentance.

So the question facing you is what you will do with this.  Will you surrender your life to Jesus Christ and accept Him as your personal Lord and Savior?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,981 posts

Welcome~!

*Zion*

*Zion*

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Hell was not meant for human beings, but Adam decided in the garden of Eden to listen to satan rather than God; thus easily becoming ensnared and enslaved by satan.  But through Jesus Christ, God made a way to rescue us, as Shiloh has described.    

With regard to your family upbringing, maybe they were genuinely scared.  It is terrifying to think of a good God dealing with human beings trapped in sin.  How should He deal with us?  We deserve punishment.  So maybe your mother and grandmother wanted to scare you into heaven because they were scared too, and they didn't understand the mercies or love of our wonderful God.  He loves us as though we are His children, and when we accept Him and His love, He makes us His children.  If our own children do things wrong, do we stop loving them?  God loves you, JJ50.  He wants to show you that He does.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

A Worthy welcome to you, JJ50!  As the Word of G-d says ....  "Come, let us reason together ...."  The Lord is calling you, softly and tenderly He calls ....  you who are weary .... come home.

Peace to you and may G-d richly bless you, amen.

PrairWarur

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,617 posts

I have temporally set JJ50 to Members* until we can verify their membership. 

They can read the boards but not reply. 

Praying for them.

God Bless , 

Nigel ncn ( chat servant ) 

Profile changed to nonbeliever.

Welcome to Worthy JJ50.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network