christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The 4 beasts

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

ENOCH2010

ENOCH2010

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Many places in the Bible,beasts are thought to represent kingdoms,so what are the 4 beasts or what are they representing in the 4th chapter of Revelation?

Zemke

Zemke

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Well no one has replied and I'm no expert on this subject but I'll give to you what I had learned years ago.

Lion --The lion from the tribe of Judah -- His Lordship -- His Kingship

Calf -- His servant hood -- Sacrifice

Face of a man -- His humanity

Flying eagle -- His divinity

At least it's a start, I haven't got deep into Revelation for a while so hopefully this may jump start something.

The four gospels present Jesus with these characteristics also.
If I remember correctly, please correct me if I'm wrong. Do I need to ask, right.

Matthew - King
Mark - Servant
Luke - Man
John - Divine

Zemke

Zemke

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Also I believe the tribes were separated into four camps in the wilderness with the tabernacle at the center. The banner representing these camps came from the four tribes who's banners portrayed these characters. Judah -- the lion of coarse but I can't remember the other tribes.

mizzdy

mizzdy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,681 posts

Also I believe the tribes were separated into four camps in the wilderness with the tabernacle at the center. The banner representing these camps came from the four tribes who's banners portrayed these characters. Judah -- the lion of coarse but I can't remember the other tribes.

Its said that the positioning of the tribes around the tabernacle was shaped like a cross. In the blessings over the the children in Egypt also show those charactoristics of each son as well as the tribes they came to head. Amazing how God just knew that. :thumbsup:

Zemke

Zemke

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Its said that the positioning of the tribes around the tabernacle was shaped like a cross. In the blessings over the the children in Egypt also show those charactoristics of each son as well as the tribes they came to head. Amazing how God just knew that. :thumbsup:

Ya, I saw a poster of a mock up of the camp. Great poster, have know idea were to look for one. Never saw it again.

It is amazing learning how so much points to Christ. Heard a speaker say Jesus is on every page. Didn't believe him at first but as I learn I now have no reason to doubt him.

Numbers ch 2 Arrangement of the camps.

East -- Judah

South -- Reuben

West -- Ephraim

North -- Dan

All the tribes had a sign or banner but the camps were under the standard of these tribes.

So we have the seen in Revelation in the center and around the throne were four living creatures.

The tabernacle being in the center with these four banners round about.

Edited by ZEMKE, 06 March 2012 - 12:00 PM.

Zemke

Zemke

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Just think about looking down from a mountain at night with a pillar of fire over this camp of people over a million strong. In an organized shape. Decent and in order. The people round about had a reason to be nervous.

God has a reason for things to be done His Way. Even if we can't fully understand it.

Edited by ZEMKE, 06 March 2012 - 12:02 PM.

Babbler

Babbler

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
They symbolize what is noblest, strongest, wisest, and swiftest in creation. Since the second century they have been used as symbols of the evangelists Mark, Luke, Matthew, and John respectively.

mizzdy

mizzdy

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,681 posts

Ya, I saw a poster of a mock up of the camp. Great poster, have know idea were to look for one. Never saw it again.

It is amazing learning how so much points to Christ. Heard a speaker say Jesus is on every page. Didn't believe him at first but as I learn I now have no reason to doubt him.

Numbers ch 2 Arrangement of the camps.

East -- Judah

South -- Reuben

West -- Ephraim

North -- Dan

All the tribes had a sign or banner but the camps were under the standard of these tribes.

So we have the seen in Revelation in the center and around the throne were four living creatures.

The tabernacle being in the center with these four banners round about.

Here's a piece by Missler that shows and talks of the camp and what it looked like.

Zemke

Zemke

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
Thanks mizzdy. I wonder if this helps enoch.

Interesting to have this in the wilderness and then a vision of the throne room at the beginning of Revelation proper, so to speak, and then when the Israelites enter the land the first battle they face involves a series of sevens, trumpets and silence along with the extraction of a Gentile woman with her household.

Just an observation.

ENOCH2010

ENOCH2010

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
Yes that is a great help,thanks all for help especially mizzdy for the link. They're is no doubt it is a cross. Wow !!!

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
Thank you for the site Mizz!

Retrobyter

Retrobyter

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
Shalom, ENOCH2010.

Many places in the Bible,beasts are thought to represent kingdoms,so what are the 4 beasts or what are they representing in the 4th chapter of Revelation?

Not to put too much of a damper on this subject, but the word "beasts" is supplied in the English. In the Greek, they are just four "living-[ones]." The Greek word is "zooa," spelled zeta-omega-alpha. (Singular is "zoo-on," spelled zeta-omega-omicron-nu) Indeed, the word "beasts" was supplied (I believe) BECAUSE of the four different faces on these k'ruviym (cherubim[s]). However, this is just the same description that Yechezk'el (Ezekiel) gave in Ezek. 1 and 10. Only difference is that Yochanan (John) only sees them from one side.

I don't believe that they "represent" anything! That's just the way they are!

Edited by Retrobyter, 08 March 2012 - 02:45 AM.

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

You're mixing prophetic metaphors.

Daniel's 4 beasts were Babylon, Media-Persia, Greece and finally Rome.

The heavenly beasts in Revelation are spiritual beings who reside in heaven, and each of them has four faces facing in a different direction. It appears that they also hold the glassy sea upon which the throne of God sits. Those four faces are the wisdom, strength, speed and nobilty which God placed into Creation.

ENOCH2010

ENOCH2010

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

The heavenly beasts in Revelation are spiritual beings who reside in heaven, and each of them has four faces facing in a different direction. It appears that they also hold the glassy sea upon which the throne of God sits. Those four faces are the wisdom, strength, speed and nobilty which God placed into Creation.

BB I wasn't mixing metaphors intentionally,it was a honest question I had always wondered about.With the answer Roy gave about the word beast,along with the link mizzdy provided I have a better understanding of the verse than I did before.I'm not one to get on these boards to argue,I get on here to learn the truth.

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

BB I wasn't mixing metaphors intentionally,it was a honest question I had always wondered about.With the answer Roy gave about the word beast,along with the link mizzdy provided I have a better understanding of the verse than I did before.I'm not one to get on these boards to argue,I get on here to learn the truth.

I know you weren't. It's easy to get beasts and horsemen and living creatures mixed when using some versions.

xero

xero

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
For the OP this site, http://www.who-is-the-antichrist.org/ , provides plenty of info on the beasts and the harlot throughout history.

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts

For the OP this site, http://www.who-is-the-antichrist.org/ , provides plenty of info on the beasts and the harlot throughout history.

What that site is, is a Catholic church/Pope-bashing site. The pope is not "the antichrist", BECAUSE THERE IS NO ANTICHRIST. It's antichrists plural and present at the same time.

Bible_Gazer

Bible_Gazer

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Here is a hint about them and where they come from:

Rev. 5:8 And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps,
and golden vials full of odors, which are the prayers of saints.
9 And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain,
and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;
10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

so we can see that they represent the saints of God.

We may have to look at the beast as characters of the saints.
of a man - from mankind
of a lion - strong - Eph. 6:10
of a calf - sacrifice of yourself - Romans 12:1
of a eagle - good visions, rises above the flesh and sets high in heavenly places. Eph. 2

Bold Believer

Bold Believer

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,628 posts
I have heard the zoon described as the highest order of creatures in creation: Man, the Lion, the Ox and the Eagle. All other creatures fall under these. God sits above the firmament (the glassy sea) and is separate from all His Creation. I find it interesting that the 24 elders and the zoon all worship and state the same thing, that they are redeemed by Christ's blood. Even Creation acknowledges that it is redeemed by Christ. The Lion, Ox and Eagle are the most intelligent or perhaps the most regal of the creation, and in some sense 'speak' for the other created beings who are unable to do so.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network