christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

News Flash: Jesus and Santa are both White!

* * * * * 2 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
69 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Fox News host Megyn Kelly said Wednesday that both the Christ and the Claus are White; her remark was in response to Aisha Harris who wrote: Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore

In response, Harris said that if Santa must remain white, then one's view of the rest of the world may be just as limited.

Although Santa is a fictional character, he was based on St. Nicholas, a bishop in Lycia, then a Greek province of Byzantine Anatolia, now modern Turkey, so I doubt Nicholas had blue eyes; however, Jeffrey Hunter had them when he played Jesus in "King of Kings".

Here's the entire article:

http://news.yahoo.co...-193322244.html

So, does pigment matter, or is the physical description of even fictional characters just as important as that of historical persons?

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

I think Ms.Harris has too much time on her hands. 

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

I think Ms.Harris has too much time on her hands. 

I find it ironic that the avatar of the first poster to comment on "is the physical description of even fictional characters just as important as that of historical persons" is the ahistorical invisible man!

Guest_man_*

Guest_man_*
  • Guests

It's just an avatar. 

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Fox News host Megyn Kelly said Wednesday that both the Christ and the Claus are White; her remark was in response to Aisha Harris who wrote: Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore

In response, Harris said that if Santa must remain white, then one's view of the rest of the world may be just as limited.

Although Santa is a fictional character, he was based on St. Nicholas, a bishop in Lycia, then a Greek province of Byzantine Anatolia, now modern Turkey, so I doubt Nicholas had blue eyes; however, Jeffrey Hunter had them when he played Jesus in "King of Kings".

So, does pigment matter, or is the physical description of even fictional characters just as important as that of historical persons?

It honestly doesn't matter.

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

I just checked.  I'm white...green eyes though.  

Wonder what impression my hand standing little green beetle creates?  I find him funny and cute

Sounds like Ms. Harris may have been trying to put words in Megan's mouth

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

It honestly doesn't matter.

Would it matter if the protagonists of "The Color Purple" were played by Asian actors?

Would Atticus Finch as played by Gregory Peck be more memorable if he was played instead by James Earl Jones?

Or is ahistorical revisionism irrelevant?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Santa and Jesus can not even be compared.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,610 posts

:huh: :blink: Slow news day and they needed something to fill some time, maybe?

Honestly: Who cares?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

I would say that color only matters to a racist.

1x1is1

1x1is1

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Those are 10 wise words.  We can always count on you delivering focused remarks.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,413 posts

Blessings Everyone

I think Ms Harris parents or whoever introduced her to Santa did something wrong if she indeed has these issues?What color or race anyone in History (or fantasy)has never even crossed my mind as child,,,,as a matter of fact I don't think children even notice unless it is pointed out.....I don't know,to me that would be the same as me being offended that Martin Luther King Jr was not Italian?Why isn't the Easter Bunny portrayed as the Easter Skunk?So stupid ....

With love,in Christ-Kwik

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

So when Fox News host Megyn Kelly stated that both the Christ and the Claus were white, was she being racist?

Was Aisha Harris -- who wrote Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore -- another racist as well?

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Santa and Jesus can not even be compared.

Santa is loosley based on the historical Saint Nicholas, the 4th Century bishop who, according to tradition, rescued the daughters of a poor merchant who planned to sell them as slaves because he couldn't afford their dowries. When Nicholas heard of the merchant's plan, he secretly visited his home by night and tossed bags of money inside (down the chimney?).

http://www.azdiocese...etail_2/3162784

So can I compare "Santa" Nicholas to Christ as both could be considered kinsmen redeemers who ransomed us?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

So when Fox News host Megyn Kelly stated that both the Christ and the Claus were white, was she being racist?

Was Aisha Harris -- who wrote Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore -- another racist as well?

no, to Megan the color was just what the color was.....   With Aisha, she wanted the color changed.....      and that want to change reality shows race sensitivity, which I would personally call a racist.    and before you yell at me some of my closest friends in work are/were black and I loved them as brothers.......   but they were the most racial sensitive people I ever knew.....    so I not only overlook their skin color, but their sensitivities also.

Qnts2

Qnts2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

There are Jewish people of all different skin color. So, my question is, how do we know Jesus was white?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

btw I do know quite a few white and Native Americans who are pure racists to the core......    and I'm usually uncomfortable being around them.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,476 posts

There are Jewish people of all different skin color. So, my question is, how do we know Jesus was white?

Well, now that you mention it, I don't think I could answer that.....    but his Jewishness only came from his mother remember his dad was God.   So can we really know for sure what he looked like physically...   since he didn't take on his sex gene from his mother, do we even know that he's Jewish at all??

Should we even care?

Is it counter productive to even discuss it considering the sensitive feelings of a lot of people; especially considering there is no real way for us to know.

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

We don't, and the following was in the linked story I provided:

"Unlike Santa, the racial heritage of Jesus Christ has been debated for years. Technically, the New Testament does not contain a description of his skin pigment, though most modern Western depictions do portray him as a white man. Though there is little to no factual or scholarly work on the biblical figure’s racial heritage, a 2011 BBC documentary 'Son of God' attempted to create a modern composite of what Jesus might have looked like. The analysis concluded that such a historic figure would likely have had dark skin, based on the Middle Eastern desert climate in which the New Testament stories took place ..."

How "dark" is still debatable, but scientifically, Jews are considered non-Whites.

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,008 posts

Well said.  I agree.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network