christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Well...that was disgusting

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

Here's a pro-tip: Always check the expiration dates on your food before you eat it. This will help you not to shove a big spoonful of peanut butter in your mouth that actually expired in 2011, like I just did. 

Who else has a pro tip?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,042 posts

Here's a pro-tip: Always check the expiration dates on your food before you eat it. This will help you not to shove a big spoonful of peanut butter in your mouth that actually expired in 2011, like I just did. 

Who else has a pro tip?

I am a fanatic when it comes to checking expiration dates.....

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Im quite the fanatic myself when it comes to checking anything I buys expiration date as well.

Do you know what got me into that? Going to walmart and checking (for whatever reason I did) at the check out a jar of ovaltine. I was just about to purchase a 2 YEAR old jar of ovaltine. And I didnt mean months, but years.

This was some time back (few years ago) but I always grab to the back of of the shelves and compare the dates. You can add many weeks worth of shelf life to what you store in your refrigerator that way too.

I will still eat expired cans of diced tomatoes, sauce and things like that, but nothing with milk, or fats.

Even powdered peanut butter doesnt have much of a shelf life, but you can bag that and freeze it (for smoothies) or shakes.

I just tried (for the first time) that nutella stuff, folks buy that in 11 lb jars at amazon, and I was like, whats all the hub about?

I found it was just alright though.

One thing I didnt know, dont keep your paprika outside the freezer, and if you have an expired can you can prolly observe why by opening it and spilling out the contents LOL

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

hey as long as it still tastes ok who cares when the expiration date was?

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

Trust me, I would have kept eating it if it didn't taste like battery acid in a wet sock

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

I had a weird incident the other week, I was making this freid chicken breast dish again, that Chef John posted at you tube, and the first time I made it I never made the orange marmalade sauce, but the second time I was like, hmmm... let me try the sauce (and the orange marmalade was expired) 2011 right? I would risk that, it wasnt off color, and smelled fine, but that sauce needed hoisin sauce in it.

Now heres what was weird, I opened that up (and yes that was expired too, 2011) lol and smelled fine, but it was so weird, I unscrewed the glass jar, and under the metal lid rim was something that looked like it was cocooning under it, well that was it! I lost ,my appetite and have been chucking anything out earlier then 2013.

I got the creeps, and you know, the pantry is super clean, all the shells have been washed down, and I jar things up all the time. I dont know what that creature was under that hoisin jar but I was freaked out, I dont think I will use that stuff again, Seemed more like whatever it was come in at the manufacturing plant or something.

Gave me the willies

AFlameOfFire

AFlameOfFire

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Trust me, I would have kept eating it if it didn't taste like battery acid in a wet sock

LOL you make it sound so appetizing

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts

Its important to rotate the stuff in the pantry too . . . stores do it for a reason! :laugh:

I found a bag of ramen noodles that had expired about 18 months before I moved out of my old apartment . . . The noodles were hard as rock - I mean they were petrified. You could not break them up with your hand. The "flavor packet" was even more interesting. The "chicken" flavor stuff in it had turned into a tarry looking sludge . . . nope. Ain't eatin' that!

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,478 posts

that chicken flavor stuff might have actually hurt you.

I opened a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup this summer that ended up having a date of 2001.   Had gotten shuffled back to the back of the pantry.   It smelled ok but I didn't want to take a chance eating it.

What I am a stickler on is milk....    when it hits noon on the expiration date, if it's not used for cooking, out it goes.  Grandma used to make some really good biscuits with it though...

stirstik

stirstik
  • Members *
  • 97 posts

Its important to rotate the stuff in the pantry too . . . stores do it for a reason! :laugh:

I found a bag of ramen noodles that had expired about 18 months before I moved out of my old apartment . . . The noodles were hard as rock - I mean they were petrified. You could not break them up with your hand. The "flavor packet" was even more interesting. The "chicken" flavor stuff in it had turned into a tarry looking sludge . . . nope. Ain't eatin' that!

blech!

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network