christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

One relgion with many faiths? Or one faith with many religions?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Christianity has a lot of denominations, in addition to that a lot of branches within that denomination. 

I know that serving god is whats really important but I would like to know what other people think as well? 

Do you think that we are a religion with a lot of different faith practices or ONE faith with many branch of relgions?

Thoughts? Comments? I'd love to hear them and get a discussion going

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,932 posts
  • Interests:Who is Jesus to you?

One body. Folks just have different preferences on worshiping Him.

That said, they do hold to the same core beliefs. There are definitely folks outside that core who do not believe in Him and are lost in their sins. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,470 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

I don't think Christianity is a religion at all.  It is a relationship with the Trinity.

Being a Baptist, or Methodist or Catholic or whatever is a religion.   There are so many different ones because we usually stress different parts of the Bible or leave some parts out......   then there are those who spend whole lifetimes combining scripture that doesn't really go together.   People looking for special things that make them better than the others.....     or pervert the scripture by combining things that shouldn't be and then there is the tradition thing that comes from centuries of thinking of finding things in the word that no one else sees.

Just my personal thoughts from looking for 25 years to find that original new testament church.    and after 25 years of looking and being frustrated God finally touched me on the shoulder and asked me if I was tired of looking......   I told him yes but I didn't know where the new testament church was and I would swear I heard him laugh when he told me it was right in front of my face all along..........     It's that core group of people everywhere you've been that have a relationship with me.    That's the new testament church.    And you will find it wherever you go...

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

I see god in the eyes of other faithful, that is my church. 

The word christian is such a broad term now that using it tends to cause alot of confusion. It ranging any where from lady who runs soup kitchen to westboro baptist to "All gays are evil grrrr" that is what people think atleast. 

I personally serve god and i don't think that churches and institutionalized religion do anything to help really, well they let church goers pat themselves on the back for that charity they did one time then going back to the norm on monday.

This may come across as hostile i know, but it needs to be said almost every "Atheist" I met believed got BURNED by church goers or priests then started hating god it is truly sad.

I'd rather live and be a good person then go to a building where people talk but don't listen, i've found a few good churches but they are few and far between.

DRS81

DRS81

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:God, Writing, Recording Artist, Books, Cappuccino's, Films etc..

One God, One faith, One religion, One relationship. Blessings.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,459 posts
  • Interests:The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27 - - - Love, Your Brother Joe

Abba~!

For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. Romans 8:15

~

One God, One faith, One religion, One relationship. Blessings.

:thumbsup:

The

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Matthew 16:24

Way

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. John 14:5-6

Of The Christ

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Ephesians 4:1-7

Willamina

Willamina

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Interests:Birdwatching, Bible study

I find it sad that so many of you do not find many good Bible believing churches. Perhaps I have never looked for a perfect church. I have always looked for a chruch that taught or exhorted the Bible, chapter by chapter through a book. The pastor does not hammer on people but allows the Holy Spirit to do His work in whatever way He pleases. The people aren't perfect. They are just forgiven and most desire that they may somehow grow to be more like Jesus. Some have had real yo yos that tried to split the church. The Corinthians seemed to have that problem, too--some were of Paul and others of Barnabus. Some had people who were trying to exalt their own positions in some kind of competition. But didn't James and John as well as their mother do that, wanting the best seat at the table and even in Heaven? There were a few who had legalistic members, but the Galatians had that problem as well. Jesus had liberal Sadusees to deal with Although He didn't waste much breath on them. In fact, I have yet to see a problem that wasn't first dealt with in the Bible. So far they have all been like the first century church--full of imperfect people like me. All God calls me to do is love them as they are. For while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:Theology, science, philosophy, classical music and German folk music.
I think Christianity is indeed a religion as defined by the dictionary.. Maybe it is more acceptable to call I it a faith. Only one faith out of the multitudes can be true, to be honest. Yes Christianity is centered on a relationship with God, but there are doctrines, which are by nature religious .

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

I think Christianity is indeed a religion as defined by the dictionary.. Maybe it is more acceptable to call I it a faith. Only one faith out of the multitudes can be true, to be honest. Yes Christianity is centered on a relationship with God, but there are doctrines, which are by nature religious .

I think that mentality is what causes a split within humanity because it leads to people focusing more on whether or not THEY are right as opposed to actually loving one another and focusing on loving one another.

"Only one faith out of the multitudes can be true to be honest." This leads us to being spiritual gladiators as opposed to devoted servants of god. God is love, and God loves all of us. Grace and Mercy are easy to accept when they happen to us because we feel entitled to it but when it happens to others who aren't "Right" we get upset and make up reasons for why . . .  this is nothing personal against you but i have seen it evolve into that too many times. 

I have a tendency to be blunt and forthright, I hope that everyone shall be the same in return. Or however they may honestly express themselves.

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

I find it sad that so many of you do not find many good Bible believing churches. Perhaps I have never looked for a perfect church. I have always looked for a chruch that taught or exhorted the Bible, chapter by chapter through a book. The pastor does not hammer on people but allows the Holy Spirit to do His work in whatever way He pleases. The people aren't perfect. They are just forgiven and most desire that they may somehow grow to be more like Jesus. Some have had real yo yos that tried to split the church. The Corinthians seemed to have that problem, too--some were of Paul and others of Barnabus. Some had people who were trying to exalt their own positions in some kind of competition. But didn't James and John as well as their mother do that, wanting the best seat at the table and even in Heaven? There were a few who had legalistic members, but the Galatians had that problem as well. Jesus had liberal Sadusees to deal with Although He didn't waste much breath on them. In fact, I have yet to see a problem that wasn't first dealt with in the Bible. So far they have all been like the first century church--full of imperfect people like me. All God calls me to do is love them as they are. For while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.

Most of the churches I find tend to be insular or intolerant of beliefs not exactly their own, particularly the evangelical ones. 

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Interests:Theology, science, philosophy, classical music and German folk music.

I think that mentality is what causes a split within humanity because it leads to people focusing more on whether or not THEY are right as opposed to actually loving one another and focusing on loving one another.

"Only one faith out of the multitudes can be true to be honest." This leads us to being spiritual gladiators as opposed to devoted servants of god. God is love, and God loves all of us. Grace and Mercy are easy to accept when they happen to us because we feel entitled to it but when it happens to others who aren't "Right" we get upset and make up reasons for why . . .  this is nothing personal against you but i have seen it evolve into that too many times. 

I have a tendency to be blunt and forthright, I hope that everyone shall be the same in return. Or however they may honestly express themselves.

I actually meant other nonchristian belief systems when I stated that only one faith can be true.  Many say that all religions are like rivers leading to one ocean, but I don't think this to be the case.  Christ is the only option.

Rustyangel

Rustyangel

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts
  • Interests:Dog training, fellowshipping with my family at Worthy. Worshiping the Lord in song. Sharing Jesus with those who do not know Him.

One body. Folks just have different preferences on worshiping Him.

That said, they do hold to the same core beliefs. There are definitely folks outside that core who do not believe in Him and are lost in their sins. 

I agree with my sister jade.  The bottom line is if you can't back up what someone is saying with the word of God that it is not true.  We all may worship differently as jade said.  I love clapping and raising my hands in worship, I feel that is the way I want to worship God.  So long as you can prove it in the Bible then  it is right.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,802 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends and Climbing

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

I am led to reach my hand out, in love, to those in need.

Shalom Will,

It sounds as if you were one of those whom have been hurt by a certain group, or groups of believers.  What happened?

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

I actually meant other nonchristian belief systems when I stated that only one faith can be true.  Many say that all religions are like rivers leading to one ocean, but I don't think this to be the case.  Christ is the only option.

That is the divide in humanity that i spoke of.

http://www.kingjames...org/1-John-2-2/

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.  

He died not only for those who believe but for the sins of the whole world. Here is a list of all he died for.

http://evangelicalar...jesus-died-for/

God is in us all, the holy spirit is love. If you know love in your heart you shall know God.

We separate Christians and non Christians but we are all children of God. He loves all of us and sent his son to die for all our sins.

Did God not command us to love our neighbors as ourselves?

It is not our place to judge others only to love help and serve the world as best we can. 

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Worthy Chat Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,932 posts
  • Interests:Who is Jesus to you?

We separate Christians and non Christians but we are all children of God. He loves all of us and sent his son to die for all our sins.

The bible says otherwise. 

John 1:12-13

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Not everyone is a child of God. Only those who believe in Him.

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Theologians have thrown quotes from the bible back and for centuries not much has changed from it. 

I think instead we should do some soul searching, ask God for guidance, and listen to one another.

So teach what you wish to teach and i shall listen. I think this will be more productive and helpful for all of us instead of simply laser locking on a single or a few lines from a post and bible quoting it apart. I can continue but again the alternative may be more helpful.

So teach what you wish to teach, if afterwards you would like to listen to me that is fine if not you have said your peace and hopefully feel better for it.

And to answer jade's interest Jesus is. Love, mercy, grace, compassion, the right hand of God and so many other things.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,802 posts

I really enjoy discussing the Bible. There is so much to learn and so much to share.

That is the divide in humanity that i spoke of.

http://www.kingjames...org/1-John-2-2/
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.  
He died not only for those who believe but for the sins of the whole world. Here is a list of all he died for.

http://evangelicalar...jesus-died-for/

God is in us all, the holy spirit is love. If you know love in your heart you shall know God.

Did God not command us to love our neighbors as ourselves?

It is not our place to judge others only to love help and serve the world as best we can.

Universalism is a false doctrine. Reject Christ and you will remain lost forever. It is our job to love them enough to tell them the truth about salvation through Christ. That is the love scripture talks about, not worldly love.

John 14:6

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,802 posts

Theologians have thrown quotes from the bible back and for centuries not much has changed from it. 

I think instead we should do some soul searching, ask God for guidance, and listen to one another.

So teach what you wish to teach and i shall listen. I think this will be more productive and helpful for all of us instead of simply laser locking on a single or a few lines from a post and bible quoting it apart. I can continue but again the alternative may be more helpful.

So teach what you wish to teach, if afterwards you would like to listen to me that is fine if not you have said your peace and hopefully feel better for it.

And to answer jade's interest Jesus is. Love, mercy, grace, compassion, the right hand of God and so many other things.

May I ask you what you think Jesus meant when what He spoke was recorded in Matthew 7:13-14?

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Will_Hoyt

Will_Hoyt
  • Members
  • 15 posts

To that which is most difficult of all, to love selflessly and recklessly.

To show Mercy by forgiving others of their sins against us, by humanity not doing so God later reminded us that we are only forgiven as we forgive others, so that we would HAVE to learn to love this way. Remember the debt we owed now paid in full.

To show Grace by giving unto others that which we feel they may not deserve. But remember that in doing so it is an act of kindness and one that has been shown to us many times. The good lord taught us the parable of the vineyard so that we would learn of and understand this unfortunately elusive virtue.

To be compassionate to remember that many times we were the ones crying or close to crying on another's shoulders.

Life is easier once you love others but the road is narrower and for some harder for others the narrowness guides them. Difficult is the path to it because he knew that so many were not ready to accept love for the guilt of their own sins weighs them down. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,470 posts
  • Interests:camping computers

To that which is most difficult of all, to love selflessly and recklessly.

To show Mercy by forgiving others of their sins against us, by humanity not doing so God later reminded us that we are only forgiven as we forgive others, so that we would HAVE to learn to love this way. Remember the debt we owed now paid in full.

To show Grace by giving unto others that which we feel they may not deserve. But remember that in doing so it is an act of kindness and one that has been shown to us many times. The good lord taught us the parable of the vineyard so that we would learn of and understand this unfortunately elusive virtue.

To be compassionate to remember that many times we were the ones crying or close to crying on another's shoulders.

Life is easier once you love others but the road is narrower and for some harder for others the narrowness guides them. Difficult is the path to it because he knew that so many were not ready to accept love for the guilt of their own sins weighs them down. 

the debt we owe is paid in full, but there are stipulations as to who receives that dept forgiveness.    And on another note, we are not Children of God unless we are born again.....   and things have to happen before we are born again.      

So that I can understand what you appear to be getting to let me just ask.   Are you saying that everyone is a Child of God and no one is going to hell?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network