christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

speaking in tounges

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
703 replies to this topic

pentacostalman777

pentacostalman777
  • Members
  • 7 posts
I would personally like to know everyones standpoint on speaking in tounges and what they think it actually means today. I believe that most scripture concerning this is in acts. However I would just like to know how people understand the speaking of tounges so please if anyone is will I would like to read and answer different understandings and opinions.

pentacostalman777

pentacostalman777
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Hello

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,025 posts
It's Real

And Jesus Saves

Barkley

Barkley
  • Members
  • 5 posts
1 Cor 14:22

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them
that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not,
but for them which believe.

This verse appears to show that speaking in tongues is not something that's to be
used in a body of believers, but was only used when in the company of unbelievers,
as some sort of sign to them.

mikealpeterman

mikealpeterman
  • Members
  • 10 posts
To my understanding the speaking in tongues was used in the time of Acts when the apostles were prophesying to un-believers to speak in tongues so they would understand them not necessarily relevant in current times

The first occurrence of speaking in tongues occurred on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2:1-4. The apostles went out and shared the gospel with the crowds, speaking to them in their own languages: “We hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” (Acts 2:11). The Greek word translated tongues literally means “languages.” Therefore, the gift of tongues is speaking in a language a person does not know in order to minister to someone who does speak that language. In 1 Corinthians chapters 12–14, Paul discusses miraculous gifts, saying, “Now, brothers, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction?” (1 Corinthians 14:6). According to the apostle Paul, and in agreement with the tongues described in Acts, speaking in tongues is valuable to the one hearing God’s message in his or her own language, but it is useless to everyone else unless it is interpreted/translated.

A person with the gift of interpreting tongues (1 Corinthians 12:30) could understand what a tongues-speaker was saying even though he did not know the language that was being spoken. The tongues interpreter would then communicate the message of the tongues speaker to everyone else, so all could understand. “For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says” (1 Corinthians 14:13). Paul’s conclusion regarding tongues that were not interpreted is powerful: “But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue” (1 Corinthians 14:19).

Is the gift of tongues for today? First Corinthians 13:8 mentions the gift of tongues ceasing, although it connects the ceasing with the arrival of the “perfect” in 1 Corinthians 13:10. Some point to a difference in the tense of the Greek verbs referring to prophecy and knowledge “ceasing” and that of tongues “being ceased” as evidence for tongues ceasing before the arrival of the “perfect.” While possible, this is not explicitly clear from the text. Some also point to passages such as Isaiah 28:11 and Joel 2:28-29 as evidence that speaking in tongues was a sign of God's oncoming judgment. First Corinthians 14:22 describes tongues as a “sign to unbelievers.” According to this argument, the gift of tongues was a warning to the Jews that God was going to judge Israel for rejecting Jesus Christ as Messiah. Therefore, when God did in fact judge Israel (with the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans in A.D. 70), the gift of tongues would no longer serve its intended purpose. While this view is possible, the primary purpose of tongues being fulfilled does not necessarily demand its cessation. Scripture does not conclusively assert that the gift of speaking in tongues has ceased.

At the same time, if the gift of speaking in tongues were active in the church today, it would be performed in agreement with Scripture. It would be a real and intelligible language (1 Corinthians 14:10). It would be for the purpose of communicating God's Word with a person of another language (Acts 2:6-12). It would be in agreement with the command God gave through the apostle Paul, “If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God” (1 Corinthians 14:27-28). It would also be in accordance with 1 Corinthians 14:33, “For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.”

God most definitely can give a person the gift of speaking in tongues to enable him or her to communicate with a person who speaks another language. The Holy Spirit is sovereign in the dispersion of the spiritual gifts (1 Corinthians 12:11). Just imagine how much more productive missionaries could be if they did not have to go to language school, and were instantly able to speak to people in their own language. However, God does not seem to be doing this. Tongues does not seem to occur today in the manner it did in the New Testament, despite the fact that it would be immensely useful. The vast majority of believers who claim to practice the gift of speaking in tongues do not do so in agreement with the Scriptures mentioned above. These facts lead to the conclusion that the gift of tongues has ceased or is at least a rarity in God's plan for the church today.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
I have heard much about tongues but have no experience in the area yet. I do believe they are for today.

Gary

Denise37

Denise37

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
All I can say from experience.. It's real! It's the Holy Spirit & it's definitely a gift from God!
Hallelujah!

pentacostalman777

pentacostalman777
  • Members
  • 7 posts
Thank you guys I am gonna study and seek advice from my elders on the infilling of the holy ghost some more. I will be back with some more information and understandings of the writings of paul and in the book of acts there's much to be understood about these scriptures then what are carnal mind can possibly fathom. Therefore with god willing I will ask him to open up my mind to these scriptures so I can better understand them.

OldShep

OldShep

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
One should also know that man can make believe they are speaking in tongues and mumble all kinds of none words. I have seen a few folks speak a native language that they never ever spoke before, and a person next to them interpreted what they said.

I know it is a gift, and I for one do not have it, I have other gifts that are used to bring people close to hear the Word. May the Lord Bless you and may you open the door to His Love for YOU.

ICL~~~Dennis

nChrist

nChrist

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
Tongues were KNOWN languages used during the Acts period to share the Gospel of the Grace of God in the language of the hearers. Read 1 Corinthians 13 and 14 very carefully - Verse by Verse - and you will see the Apostle Paul rebuking the Church at Corinth for allowing disruptions and disorder in their services - tongues being one of those disruptions. If someone insists on speaking in tongues today, it should be done according to the instructions in 1 Corinthians 13 and 14. Frankly, most of what is known as tongues today is babbling and gibberish. Read about the Apostle Paul claiming to speak more tongues than anyone, and he did - REAL LANGUAGES he used in his missionary journeys to spread the Word of God. Pray first and ask the Holy Spirit of God to lead you - then carefully read 1 Corinthians 13 and 14 for everything you need to know about tongues. The purpose for tongues (REAL LANGUAGES) is the same that it was in the times of the Apostle Paul - sharing the Gospel of the Grace of God. Again frankly, many use so-called tongues (babbling and gibberish) today for vanity and self-glorification. Go back to 1 Corinthians 13 and 14 for the purpose and instructions for using tongues (REAL LANGUAGES).

1 Corinthians 13:8-13 NASB 8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Acts 2:4-8 NASB And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance. 5 Now there were Jews living in Jerusalem, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the crowd came together, and were bewildered because each one of them was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 They were amazed and astonished, saying, "Why, are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 "And how is it that we each hear them in our own language to which we were born?

Oneaccords

Oneaccords

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance ... Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language." -Acts 2:4,6

I am bewildered at the ignorance of Pentecostals today concerning this issue of speaking in tongues. There is clear Scriptural evidence condemning the mumbo-jumbo, nonsense, which Charismatics call "speaking in tongues" today. First, on the Day of Pentecost Peter spoke in Greek, no other language. The Bible says that the people from other nations HEARD (Acts 2:6-8) in their own native tongue (i.e., language). What they actually experienced that day was HEARING IN TONGUES. Peter never spoke any language other than the Greek he normally spoke. It is IMPOSSIBLE to reconcile the demonic jibber-jabber of Pentecostals today with the miracle of tongues in the Bible. Acts 2:9-11 mentions sixteen different nations which were present on the Day of Pentecost. Acts 2:8 plainly states that each man HEARD the Gospel in his own native tongue in which he was born. How does this compare with the Charismatic speaking in tongues today that makes NO SENSE TO ANYONE.

Furthermore, the Apostles NEVER sought the miracle of tongues, it was always initiated by God. Pentecostals preachers today arrogantly claim to have the ability to access God's power at their will. They do not. Just as Catholic priests sinfully claim to have God's power to forgive sin, so do Pentecostal ministers sinfully claim to have God's power to heal people and work miracles. This is sinful pride and a perversion of the teachings of God's Word.

Also, please note that every time the Bible mentions the Apostles speaking with new tongues that the Gospel message was being preached. In sharp contrast, Charismatics today don't even know what they're trying to say, and someone else has to interpret. The Apostles always knew what they were saying as they spoke, and again, their listeners HEARD in their own language.

Consider this, why do Pentecostals only speak in Charismatic tongues during Charismatic meetings, and in Charismatic churches? If speaking in tongues is a sign of being saved and spiritual (as Pentecostals teach), then why do they never speak in tongues in public? Have you ever seen a Pentecostal speak in tongues on a city bus, or at a ball game, or in a restaurant? Hmmm? No, they only speak in demonic tongues when in a demonic service. Listen friend, any spirit that is not the Holy Spirit, is a familiar spirit (demonic). The practice of speaking in Charismatic tongues invokes a familiar spirit that is not of God.

Biblical tongues today is simply the ability to work with multiple languages. I've always loved musical instruments, it comes natural to me. Some people can play a radio, and that's about it. I've never liked making speeches, and I hate talking on the phone. I feel much more comfortable writing, and I believe God has a purpose for me in this endeavor. Some people are quick on their feet, and are good talkers. I on the other hand usually say the wrong thing and put my foot in my mouth. I have often asked myself why I had said what I said to someone. Therefore, I usually stay quiet. But I enjoy writing, because I can reread my article as many times as necessary to ensure it is exactly what I want to say. I have often spent 6-8 hours writing one article for this website, sometimes even longer. It must be just right, because it is going to influence someone, and I want to honor God and the Truth of God's Word. I am accountable to God for what I teach people; therefore, I take great responsibility in every article I write and publish for others to read. I want to use my talents and resources for God.

Biblically, Lost Sinners Heard in Tongues

We have all heard the term "speaking in tongues"; but, no one actually spoke in tongues in the Bible. Rather, they spoke in their own language, and the listeners HEARD the message in their own native language. We read in Acts 2:8-11, "And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God." So none of the Apostles, nor any of the New Testament saints, ever spoke in some unknown Heavenly jibber-jabber; but rather, in their own native language. This is confirmed in Acts 2:8. The gift, or miracle, of tongues was manifest in the HEARING of the Word, and NOT the speaking. The term "speaking in tongues" is often misunderstood, somewhat of a misnomer. When the Bible mentions "speaking in tongues," it is referring to hearing in tongues. When the Gentile converts spoke with "tongues" in Acts 10:46, it was the same Greek word for "tongues" as in Acts 2:4 ("glossa," meaning, "the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations."). It was a KNOWN earthly language. The same Greek word is used by the Apostle Paul in 1st Corinthians 14:18, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all." However, Paul had the GIFT of tongues, which is different from the MIRACLE of tongues in Acts 2. Paul was fluent was different languages. Many people today are gifted in being able to learn several different languages. The same is true of musical instruments. Some people are gifted writers. Now, nearly anyone can write something, but few people can write in such a way that others are compelled to read their works. The "gifts" of the Spirit are different from the miracles of God. The gift of tongues still exists today; but the Apostolic miracles of tongues and healing ceased during the New Testament, which is evidenced by Paul's inability to later heal himself, Timothy, and Trophimus. God does still heal today, but he works through the prayers of the saints, and requires for us to be reconciled with our Christian brethren (James 5:15-16).

Charismatic tongues is dangerous, because it involves familiar spirits. It also draws unsaved people into church for the wrong reasons. It's the same problem with so-called "Christian rock." People come to the rock music, not to Jesus Christ. Most people join Charismatic churches because of the excitement and entertainment, not because they want to find God. As a result, many people find churchianity without Christianity. We are living in apostate times, when most people have religion without God, and knowledge without truth. Let us be diligent to contend for the faith, and expose Satan's works of darkness. Speaking in Charismatic tongues is evil, and is nowhere taught in the Word of God. Don't be misled by the false prophets of Pentecostalism, speaking in Charismatic tongues is of the Devil.

http://www.jesus-is-...ues/demonic.htm

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
Onaccords - where do you get the notion that Peter spoke exclusively Greek? The dominant language of the Jews in Israel was Aramaic. And where do you see that Peter spoke to the crowd in Greek?

nChrist, in 1 Cor. 14 Paul mentions tongues being used for self-edification and for speaking to God (prayer) as well. He never rebukes this activity. The rebuke is for those who speak to the people in their gift of tongues without there being an interpreter.

Mark2005

Mark2005

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
I am certainly no one's expert, but I believe it is real and active today. I've met a number of very godly people who claim to regularly practice this. I can't believe they are all making it up. Nor can I believe they are demon-possessed because they don't act that way.

How exactly it works is a mystery that I haven't figured out yet. How can a person speak some foreign language that they know nothing about? Some of the people I have met who practice this claim they do not even know what they are saying. Some claim it is the Holy Spirit praying THROUGH them.

I don't know why some people have this gift and others do not. I don't think it makes one a "Super Saint", in and of itself. And it's a real turnoff when people are arrogant about it.

In short, there is much I don't yet fully grasp, but I do believe it is real and active today.

gdemoss

gdemoss

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, [even] in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

Mark2005

Mark2005

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Charismatic tongues is dangerous, because it involves familiar spirits. It also draws unsaved people into church for the wrong reasons. It's the same problem with so-called "Christian rock." People come to the rock music, not to Jesus Christ. Most people join Charismatic churches because of the excitement and entertainment, not because they want to find God. As a result, many people find churchianity without Christianity. We are living in apostate times, when most people have religion without God, and knowledge without truth. Let us be diligent to contend for the faith, and expose Satan's works of darkness. Speaking in Charismatic tongues is evil, and is nowhere taught in the Word of God. Don't be misled by the false prophets of Pentecostalism, speaking in Charismatic tongues is of the Devil.

http://www.jesus-is-...ues/demonic.htm

I have to disagree with this. Persons I have known who practice speaking in tongues are not evil (well, not ALL of them), nor demon-possessed.

I suppose it is possible they are making it all up, but I have interviewed quite a few people who did not know one another, yet their stories were somewhat similar. That leads me to conclude that the experience is genuine, whether I understand it or not.

As for the Bible, it says people practiced it in the first century, but it is not definitely clear on whether that would end at a certain point.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,624 posts
Whatever God has, Satan will try to duplicate. There is no reason why God should stop anything because of Satan . That is why His Spirit gives us discernment. Be careful what you say about the workings of His Spirit. Christ spoke about this.

NeedYouLord

NeedYouLord

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Thank You, O Father...For Us Being In One Accord Believing Your Word Is True...That Every Member In The Body of Christ Has A Purpose...It May Be Different Than Mine...But As We Seek The Truth...We Find...Thank You That We Can Spend Time With You In Prayer, In Your Word, As Well As With Like Minded Believers-And That You Will Reveal The Truth...That We Can Tell Others How Wonderful You Are and What You Did For Them and For Us, As Well As What You Are Still Doing...That You Can Turn Our Life Around and Now Our Hearts Desire Is What You Want, God...What Do You Want Me To Do? Relationships are better if we spend time together Because We Can Come To Know God And His Ways If We Spend Time With Him In Prayer...He Can Endue Us With Power As A Result...To Accomplish His Will Upon The Earth...For He Is A Rewarder To Those That Diligently Seek Him...In The Name of Jesus, I Thank You, Father...

Gentlewind

Gentlewind

• PipPip
  • 142 posts
"Tongues" in the Bible, may refer to several different subjects. I do know that if we all acquired the tongue of angels, we would offend neither God nor man, and we would bridle the whole body-- our own and the corporate body of Christ. It is written that if a man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man. (James 3:2)

I believe there is a "tongue," a language that runs consistently through Scripture, that resounds with spiritual wisdom, understanding, and the deep things of God. This is the "meat" of Scripture, so often spoken of, and many times missed. Much of this language is symbolic in nature, and a delight to recognize and understand.

As for "speaking in tongues," I've known many who have been blessed by so doing. I don't do so myself, but I understand the Scriptural basis behind it. I've known some wonderful Pentecostal people, rich in faith.

I believe speaking in tongues must involve the "groanings" of the Spirit, praying through us:

Romans 8:26-27

King James Version (KJV)

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

I should suppose if we, in Christ, speak, pray, or sing in a language we know not, it would be enabled by the Holy Spirit within.

nChrist

nChrist

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,996 posts
God's Word speaks much more boldly and bluntly on this issue than I did. I could quote portions of 1 Corinthians 13 and 14, but you can read it for yourselves without the need of commentary. So, I've said all I intend to on this issue.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,624 posts
I don't know one person who speaks in tongues that placed them high on their list of priorities. Tongues is a gift from God and should be accepted as such.

When someone tells me that tongues have ceased, and points to 1 Corinthians 13 as evidence, I have to ask them which verse?

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network