christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does God have a World-View?

* * * * * 1 votes God

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
Does God have a world view? If so what is it?

Definition

World-View: Origin, German, Weltanschauung,
a comprehensive conception or image of the universe and of humanity's relation to it.

This has come up in two threads recently I've read now. I realize the controversial and difficult nature of this topic. However, I think it is something that should be discussed in its own thread. Looking forward to a good discussion. :thumbsup:

Please discuss the subject and not the person. Realize that it is possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. Also, realize that just because someone disagrees with you they are not attacking you as a person. Please respect each other in the love of God.

God bless,
GE

BlessedByTheBest

BlessedByTheBest

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Joh 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,023 posts

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,023 posts

Gen 6:5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Joh 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

:thumbsup:

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Yeah I guess this depends on what you mean by worldview exactly.

The OP had this definition:

World-View: Origin, German, Weltanschauung,
a comprehensive conception or image of the universe and of humanity's relation to it.

When I was in college, we learned the 5 major world views at the time - I can't recall them all, but they all ended in "ism" - Humanism, Nihilism, Christian [something]ism.

I guess we could add New Age-ism and Post-modernism to the mix.

Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims have their own unique world view, as well.

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts

Whenever I think of world views, I keep thinking of an old song by Audio Adrenaline - although it loses something without the music:

MY World View

I want to see the world through Jesus' eyes
See through Jesus' tears
I want to see the world through Jesus' eyes
My vision's not as clear
I want to feel the world with the hands that made it
Know the pain and appreciate it
Hear their cries and hope to understand

My world view
it's how I see the world
it's how I look at you
My world view
it's how I see the world
would you like to see it to?
My world view

I want to place my foot upon the rock
The rock that doesn't move
For upon the rock the Kingdom's built
And here's the Kingdom view
I see creation and I see Adam's fall
I see through the years and I can see it all

All things come together for the good

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts
I believe that God does have a worldview within the Judeo/Christian context.

That worldview consists of two opposing Kingdoms, one greater than the other, locked in a mortal struggle.

As such mankind can definately join God in a revelation of His will for the world albeit, not perfectly, because mankind has a fallen nature. However, God has asked us to strive to Obey this Worldview in Spirit. Your Flesh should follow the Spirit.

It is my supposition that when we directly oppose this Worldview in support of such evil as Abortion and Homosexual Marriage that we find ourselves opposed to God.

Humanism is in direct opposition to Gods Worldview as revealed by His Nature, His Spirit, His Body, and His Word. Humanism is satanic in it's Worldview.

Matthitjah

Matthitjah

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,514 posts
P.S.

A worldview is an interpretative framework much like a pair of glasses through which you view everything. It refers to any set of ideas, beliefs, or values that provide a framework or map to help you understand God, the world, and your relationship to God and the world. Specifically, a worldview contains a particular perspective regarding at least each of the following ten disciplines: theology, philosophy, ethics, biology, psychology, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history.

There are several major worldviews at play and alot of minor ones.

The major ones are;

Theism: this includes Islam and Judeo/Christianity

Polytheism: There are many thousands of deity's

Pantheism: Bhuddism, New Age, Consciousness (man is in reality very spiritually god)

Postmodernism: Humanism (reality is socially constructed and morality is found within the individual. Often expressed as "whatever feels good do it" and "Don't Judge.")

Naturalism: Atheism, Agnosticism, and Existentialism

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

P.S.

A worldview is an interpretative framework much like a pair of glasses through which you view everything. It refers to any set of ideas, beliefs, or values that provide a framework or map to help you understand God, the world, and your relationship to God and the world. Specifically, a worldview contains a particular perspective regarding at least each of the following ten disciplines: theology, philosophy, ethics, biology, psychology, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history.

There are several major worldviews at play and alot of minor ones.

The major ones are;

Theism: this includes Islam and Judeo/Christianity

Polytheism: There are many thousands of deity's

Pantheism: Bhuddism, New Age, Consciousness (man is in reality very spiritually god)

Postmodernism: Humanism (reality is socially constructed and morality is found within the individual. Often expressed as "whatever feels good do it" and "Don't Judge.")

Naturalism: Atheism, Agnosticism, and Existentialism

Excellent! Great description of the various world views. :thumbsup:

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Since God is omniscient I'm not entirely sure how to answer this question. When I think of worldviews I think of some sort of metanarrative, some overarching principles by which we interpret everything else, and it seems to arise from our lack of ability to know everything perfectly at the same time. Yeah I guess this depends on what you mean by worldview exactly. I see the definition there but it's broad enough to go a couple ways.

Given that this thread was started (partly) in response to the post I made on the other thread, I don't think God is a republican or democrat. Jesus wasn't any of those things, and from what I have gathered from the Gospels was largely apolitical, instead, going on about some kingdom of heaven ;).

I agree God is neither a Republican or Democrat. :thumbsup: He's always on the side of truth and justice. He always seeks to reach out to others in love, compassion, grace, patience, and mercy.

Two questions to Bary or anyone else for that matter.

Re: God is Omniscient. Where can we find what God has said about Himself?

Re: WorldView Defined: Do you agree with Mattitjah's descritption of a worldview in post #8 and/or #9?

nebula

nebula

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 56,992 posts
Christian theism - d'oh!

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. Proverbs 15:3

Yes,I would say that :mgcheerful:

joi

joi

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts
God's omniscience:

Psalm 139
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

Jeremiah 23

23 Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off?
24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.

walla299

walla299

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,803 posts
I believe God has a world view, and it may be found in the Bible. :)

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

I agree Walla. :)

Sevenseas

Sevenseas

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,104 posts

Re: WorldView Defined: Do you agree with Mattitjah's descritption of a worldview in post #8 and/or #9?

Very nicely explained...

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,598 posts

I agree too, Walla. That one sentence says it all. :mgbowtie:

GoldenEagle

GoldenEagle

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts
So to re-focus the discussion...

So how do we make sure that our worldview lines up with God's worldview?

What if our or other people we know worldview is different than what is in the Bible?

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,023 posts

World

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

View

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
John 15:3-4

~

What if our or other people we know worldview is different than what is in the Bible?

Gentle

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20

Calls

I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.
And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
Revelation 22:16-17

Mcgyver

Mcgyver

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

So to re-focus the discussion...

I think that it is an act of will on our part...we have to decide for ourselves the question: "What is our ultimate point of authority?"

If we decide that the Bible is true, that it is written by inspiration of God...then whether we like it or not; whether we understand it or not...IF the Bible is our point of authority then it seems to me that we have to make the decision to modify our worldview to conform to the bible and not try to make the bible fit our preconceived notions.

It is the basic statement made by Joshua: "choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve..."

If someone else has a different worldview than that outlined in the Bible...if they are an unbeliever, it's to be expected....

If they are a believer, then (without condemnation in the spirit of Gal. 6:1) we need to show them from the scripture, and let the Holy Spirit do His work.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network