christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Foot Washing

- - - - -

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Foot washing - do you participate?  Have you been among a congregation that practices foot washings?  Any thoughts on why this is done, the benefits, the witness?

I was blessed to be a part of this ceremony, or ritual, not sure how to categorize this practice.  I found it to be quite humbling and refreshing, for the one who washed the feet of others, as well as the one having their feet washed.

Thoughts?

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

I don't find it commanded anywhere in God's word

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

By washing His disciple's feet,Jesus taught the lesson of selfless service by His death on the cross.Why is it needed today?

Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

The lesson is needed today, but is the practise?

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

The lesson is needed today, but is the practise?

I do not believe so..

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,272 posts

humility as in nothing beneath me in service to another and the doing an honor I am not worthy of performing... For The Lord

already performed the least by dying for the vilest sinner. Restoring choice to all of mankind as Paul considered Himself chief

of the sinners. Foot washing was a needed service but today no ... thus it can only be a religious practice now- rather give of

yourself to someone sacrificially who would not be worthy in your sight to receive such! Love, Steven

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

humility as in nothing beneath me in service to another and the doing an honor I am not worthy of performing... For The Lord

already performed the least by dying for the vilest sinner. Restoring choice to all of mankind as Paul considered Himself chief

of the sinners. Foot washing was a needed service but today no ... thus it can only be a religious practice now- rather give of

yourself to someone sacrificially who would not be worthy in your sight to receive such! Love, Steven

Well said enoob.I agree  :mgcheerful:

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

I've never did it, or been to a church that did, but it wouldn't be above me.  I'd even bring the good soap that made everybody's feet smell good! :grin:

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Peace to you, Reformed Baptist, and God's blessings.  First question, from what are you "reformed"?  You said, "The lesson is needed today, but is the practise?"

If the lesson is needed today, then I wonder, what better way to learn the lesson that to participate in the practice?  Do you know of another, or better way to learn this valuable lesson?

Someone asked me once why I thought it was necessary to bow down on my knees in prayer.  It is not commanded in the bible either.  I responded that they could just go next door and wash their neighbors dirty dishes.  They were puzzled and did not understand what I meant.

It is a praying way ...

PrairWarur

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

((( Will )))  What kind of soap?  I just might want to participate.   :mgcheerful: 

Peace, PW

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Any thoughts on the anointing oil thread?

WillfromTexas

WillfromTexas

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

I would get something from here- Pass Christian Soap Company but you might need to take an offering to pay for it.

http://www.passsoap.com/default.asp

Kind of neat story though...  Lady made soap at home and now she's got her own business.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Any thoughts on the anointing oil thread?

Anointing with oil was used in the old testament for pouring on the head of the high priest Exodus 25:6.Three times it is called the "holy anointing oil," and the Jews were strickly forbidden from reproducing it for personal use Exodus 30:32-33.There is nothing in Scripture that commands or ever suggests that we should use oil today but neither is there anything to forbid it.Oil is often used as a symbol for the Holy Spirit 1 John 2:20.

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

I would get something from here- Pass Christian Soap Company but you might need to take an offering to pay for it.

http://www.passsoap.com/default.asp

Kind of neat story though...  Lady made soap at home and now she's got her own business.

Handmade soap is nice. :mgcheerful:

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Experimenting with font and color.  LOL  

I want something out of the "fun" category.  Might as well add a little fun to the washing ceremony!  I think Jesus likes fun!  And, I like lilac fragrance, too.  Ever hear of products called Zum?  I bought some soap, lotion and recently, a candle.  They use all natural ingredients, too, and I choose lavender and lemon.  Sure is a different fragrance, but I like it!  Oh, yeah .... even had room spray.  It seems good to me.

Peace to you,

Prair

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts

Experimenting with font and color.  LOL  

I want something out of the "fun" category.  Might as well add a little fun to the washing ceremony!  I think Jesus likes fun!  And, I like lilac fragrance, too.  Ever hear of products called Zum?  I bought some soap, lotion and recently, a candle.  They use all natural ingredients, too, and I choose lavender and lemon.  Sure is a different fragrance, but I like it!  Oh, yeah .... even had room spray.  It seems good to me.

Peace to you,

Prair

I have some bath soap with lavender,chamomile and ylang-ylang in it for relaxation.It really works :mgcheerful:

Reformed Baptist

Reformed Baptist

• PipPip
  • 158 posts

Peace to you, Reformed Baptist, and God's blessings.  First question, from what are you "reformed"?  

hmmm...not sure that is relevant, however the name describes my theological convictions :D

"The lesson is needed today, but is the practise?"

If the lesson is needed today, then I wonder, what better way to learn the lesson that to participate in the practice?  Do you know of another, or better way to learn this valuable lesson?

Well, for a start the practice, in and of it's self does not have the same meaning today in our culture as it did in the days of Jesus and therefore it does not convey the lesson today. The lesson of the text is a willingness be my brothers servant in all things. It's about humility and there are plenty of relevant ways to learn that lesson today, and practice what we learn without creating some ritual to practice.  

​However you may note that I have not said it should be done I have simply asked for a biblical case to be made for the practice - and the fact that Jesus did it does not meet that criteria - he also walked and water, or we supposed to do that as well? 

Someone asked me once why I thought it was necessary to bow down on my knees in prayer.  It is not commanded in the bible either.  I responded that they could just go next door and wash their neighbors dirty dishes.  They were puzzled and did not understand what I meant.

Well, I don't understand what you meant either :D

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

*sniffs Bopeep*  My, but you do smell good!

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Foot washing - do you participate?  Have you been among a congregation that practices foot washings?  Any thoughts on why this is done, the benefits, the witness?

I was blessed to be a part of this ceremony, or ritual, not sure how to categorize this practice.  I found it to be quite humbling and refreshing, for the one who washed the feet of others, as well as the one having their feet washed.

Thoughts?

Always in His care,

PrairWarur

my experience was a bad one, we broke up into groups, men in one group and the women in the other group and we wash feet and then communion was given after that which was not a good experience ...its like everyone had dirty hands from the washing of everyones feet. I didnt go back to this church ever again.

P_W

P_W

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Reformed Baptist, you are correct, my question about your name has no relevance, I am just curious and wished to understand you better on the need to be "reformed".  I've heard the phrase before concerning various churches, just never really understood.  Thank you for answering me.  If you would care to expand more on this, I would gladly listen.

As far as the "need" to wash feet, again you are correct that we no longer walk for miles barefoot, or in sandals on dry, dusty roads.  I think Jesus took the common practice of that day to use as a teaching moment when others thought themselves too highly to stoop down and wash another's feet.  He did as an example and witness to them adding that He did not come to be served, but to serve.  Here, He left this witness to us as to how we should be in all things; willing to humbly serve.

As you stated;   "It's about humility and there are plenty of relevant ways to learn that lesson today, and practice what we learn without creating some ritual to practice."  This was my exact reasoning in using the example of kneeling in prayer, or washing dishes for my neighbor.  I suppose washing dishes is a good example for me since this is something I do not enjoy doing.  Kneeling in prayer is also something we do not often see done, even in our churches, unless you happen to be Catholic, never-the-less it denotes humility.  

Personally, I would like to see more people kneel in prayer, as I would like to see someone humble themselves, come to my house, and wash my dishes.  I believe, though, that kneeling in prayer may be of more self edification than washing my dirty dishes.  I find merit in both.

As for walking on water, well Jesus did allow Peter to also walk on the water, but for me this lesson is about keeping our eyes focused on Jesus, never doubting Him and exercising our faith to follow whatever it is that He might ask us to do, even have a good old-fashioned foot washing.

Peace to you!

Yours in Christ Jesus,

Prair

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network