christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Declaring an open mind

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
I have thought about it for the past few days and will obviously still think about Christianity, and I have made the decision to go into it with an open mind, as I am a champion for people to have an open mind about such things as religion. So first things first, on which verse should I start?

Fez

Fez

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,814 posts

I have thought about it for the past few days and will obviously still think about Christianity, and I have made the decision to go into it with an open mind, as I am a champion for people to have an open mind about such things as religion. So first things first, on which verse should I start?

Don't worry about verses. Pray.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

I will take that into consideration. Thank you!

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,590 posts

Where you need to start is with the Gospel.  Part of the problem is that you are not coming to a religion.  Christianity is not based on accepting a set ot propositional truths.   Christianity is predicated on a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, where you receive and accept Him as your personal Lord and Savior.  That is where you begin.   Let me ask you this.   Are you open to accepting  Jesus into your heart and are you open to following Him in baptism and committing your entire life to Him?

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

There are many open minded Christians and many different Christian personalities, but they still are based out of the same belief. We are all different humans, the state of our spirit is what changes us and unites us with God's spirit. 

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

It's best to start with the book of John and into the New Testament. Although like mentioned above, the Bible will be something very hard to comprehend for you until the seed of God is planted in you, until you accept Jesus into your heart. How do we know that? Because the word of God speaks to the spirit and not the mind. Want to know how to accept Jesus in your life? You can look up a thread in the Outer Court forum titled "A gift to Seekers and unbelievers".
Welcome and God bless you...

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Blessings bestrfc...

Your are getting true & si9njcfere advi9ce4 here,,,,,like Shiloh said...it is not about "religion",lit is about relationship and as Fez said,"pray"

You say you are "thinking about Christianity"...& thinking about it with an open mind.,I am understanding this to mean you are considering becoming a Christian? I am not just going to assume what you mean by that but I would suggest that you think about Jesus Christ & focus on Him.......Who is He to you?I would say to begin(of course with prayer)but in the Book of John & find out just how much He loves you....personally,intimately.......Do you want His love?Do you want to know God? What do you want from Him?Eternal life?

We can talk all you want & we will be right here for you because in Christ we love you just as He does.....but I know I would love to know what you are hoping for & I know He can fulfill all of your hopes.......forget the open mind,just open your heart,best...

With love,in Christ-Kwik

And the Word of God is for everyone seeking God,He promises to reveal Himself in His Word....He says seek Me & you will find Me.....Knock & I will answer....I will be your God & you will be My people......Faith come by hearing,hearing the Word of God.....just pray when you read,talk to Jesus

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

So first things first, on which verse should I start?

Luke 22 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and his disciples followed him. 40 On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." 41 He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, 42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." 43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. 44 And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. 45 When he rose from prayer and went back to the disciples, he found them asleep, exhausted from sorrow. 46 "Why are you sleeping?" he asked them. "Get up and pray so that you will not fall into temptation."

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,906 posts

I will take that into consideration. Thank you!

:thumbsup:

Seriously Beloved

Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. John 16:24

Pray~!

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,014 posts

If you are serious, I would recommend you start with what Fez has suggested.   Get off to yourself and just speak from your heart and tell Jesus that if he exists you want to meet and get to know him.

I would start with the Book of John in the new testament.  This book is the best introduction to Jesus from my personal perspective.  Read it twice.    Then read the New Testament as a whole with the exception of the book of Revelation then the whole bible.  It is almost impossible to understand the inner messages of the last book without understanding the old testament.

If you are like me and have trouble reading for extended times, the Bible on CD isn't all that expensive and it really cheap to download in on your computer as MP3 files and you can listen.    As I remember it takes about 19 to 20 hours to listen to the New Testament.  The book of John about an hour and a half.   I've done the whole new testament over a three day weekend when I'm trying to sort out things in life and just want to know what the Bible says about it.

The whole Bible takes about 150 hours as I remember.   I used to listen to it while driving.....  I drove anywhere from three to six thousand miles a month in my job so I could usually listen to the whole bible every two months.   Did that for about ten years..

desi2007

desi2007

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

yes praying is very vital but also reading the bible... I pray that God will reveal His Love to you and make it real in your heart, that you will soon get a revelation of your own dignity and worth in your life. blessings to you.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,042 posts

If you are like me and have trouble reading for extended times, the Bible on CD isn't all that expensive and it really cheap to download in on your computer as MP3 files and you can listen.   

Biblegateway has audio bible for free in various translations. 

http://www.biblegate...esources/audio/

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,014 posts

If you are like me and have trouble reading for extended times, the Bible on CD isn't all that expensive and it really cheap to download in on your computer as MP3 files and you can listen.   

Biblegateway has audio bible for free in various translations. 

http://www.biblegate...esources/audio/

that's good for online listening....   I especially like the dramatised version

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Blessings bestrfc...
       Your are getting true & si9njcfere advi9ce4 here,,,,,like Shiloh said...it is not about "religion",lit is about relationship and as Fez said,"pray"
       You say you are "thinking about Christianity"...& thinking about it with an open mind.,I am understanding this to mean you are considering becoming a Christian? I am not just going to assume what you mean by that but I would suggest that you think about Jesus Christ & focus on Him.......Who is He to you?I would say to begin(of course with prayer)but in the Book of John & find out just how much He loves you....personally,intimately.......Do you want His love?Do you want to know God? What do you want from Him?Eternal life?
       We can talk all you want & we will be right here for you because in Christ we love you just as He does.....but I know I would love to know what you are hoping for & I know He can fulfill all of your hopes.......forget the open mind,just open your heart,best...
                                                                                                                      With love,in Christ-Kwik

And the Word of God is for everyone seeking God,He promises to reveal Himself in His Word....He says seek Me & you will find Me.....Knock & I will answer....I will be your God & you will be My people......Faith come by hearing,hearing the Word of God.....just pray when you read,talk to Jesus

While it's not about becoming a Christian, ias I've been one pretty much my whole life, it's exploring Christianity for myself and thinking about coming back and fully accept Christ in my heart.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts
I'm reading the Gospel of John right now (on my school IPad during religion class b/c I'm bored in class lol) and I feel something pulling on my heart, which I feel like its a combination of me thinking about my crush, and the Holy Spirit.

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Dear bestrfc...

I see,I did think you were a Christian from talking with you in the past but have not heard from you in a whle & one never knows ......I do believe the truth of it is ,my friend,is it is an all or nothing at all matter .....to reap the benefits of a life more abundant & to truly be free in Christ it takes complete surrender of oneself.....sometimes it is not a Salvation issue at all,you can be saved & have reservations that keep the struggle between flesh & spirit quite difficult....the old saying "the more we decrease ,Christ will increase" is very true ....

The best one,of course,to help you through all things is the Counselor..............Jesus is ready to take everything we are ready to let go of,Jesus is a very PERSONAL Savior........bring it all before Him,there are so many blessings that God is just waiting to pour out on you when you let g of your life without those little reservations

Thanks for sharing,I do hope you come back in full force,,,,,,you are loved

Your Sister in Christ-Kwik

Spock

Spock

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

I'm reading the Gospel of John right now (on my school IPad during religion class b/c I'm bored in class lol) and I feel something pulling on my heart, which I feel like its a combination of me thinking about my crush, and the Holy Spirit.

I wonder who is pulling you harder right now - the Holy Spirit or your crush?

Just curious, does your crush feel the same about you? I know God desires that all men come to him. Does your crush desire that you come to her? (Wink)

Parker1

Parker1

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,203 posts

John 3:16.

bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer

• Nonbeliever
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

I wonder who is pulling you harder right now - the Holy Spirit or your crush?
Just curious, does your crush feel the same about you? I know God desires that all men come to him. Does your crush desire that you come to her? (Wink)

I can't really tell at this point. I mean, I know we're both friends, though I have a very small vibe that I think that she possibly likes me back. And I can say the Holy Spirit more, since she is a very practicing Catholic Christian (and she's a Junior, which is a year younger than myself).

chrisstavrous

chrisstavrous
  • Members *
  • 14 posts

Start the bible from begining to end, just read it through with that open mind your talking about and then when you finish reading it you can decide from there what you really think. At the least you will have a over all understanding of god in the old testement and his son in the new.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network