christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does 'Camel Study' prove Bible to be inaccurate?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

OldSchool2

OldSchool2

• Worthy Writers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

"A college professor is hitting back at contentions that the Old Testament is inaccurate following a newly released study from archaeologists at Tel Aviv University claiming that domesticated camels didn’t arrive to the eastern Mediterranean region until the 10th century B.C.

"Since the Bible references Abraham, among others, using camels hundreds of years before they were domesticated in the region, critics are wondering if the study shows that the Biblical texts are inaccurate or if the camel references were placed into the writings long after the Old Testament events unfolded ..."

http://www.theblaze....gn=ShareButtons

Abram, who originally came from Mesopotamia, may have introduced camels into the region, and this latest "controversy" concerns only the OT, not the entire Bible.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

It depends what you mean by domesticated. Wild camels can still be herded and trained. Domesticated means that they are bred for that purpose. After so many generations of breeding the domesticated strain would appear.

FresnoJoe

FresnoJoe

Royal Member

• Worthy Watchman
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,107 posts

Camels First Appeared In Genesis Chapter One, Day Six

And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:24-25

So What's All

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: 1 Timothy 6:20

The Fuss?

Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Genesis 3:1-(a-c )

The Fuss

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Is About Jesus Christ

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:3-6

And His Precious Blood Of Redemption

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 1 Peter 1:18-20

Yet Many "Rational" Folk Seem Determine

But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:20-22

To Miss The Point

Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. John 14:1-3

Of It

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. Revelation 3:12

All

Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever. Revelation 5:12-13

shiloh357

shiloh357

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,899 posts

If the Bible says Abraham had camels, he had camels.  The Bible has been proven over and over to be true, right down the most minor details.  Those who owned camels may have been only privileged few and so you would not expect to a large amount of evidence of domesticated camels.   They were probably not common pack animals, like mules but that doesn't mean that Abraham didn't own camels..

It is important to let the Bible be your starting point for truth.  Begin and end with the Bible and you won't go wrong.   Let me tell you, there is a long history of archeologists claiming things like "There is no evidence united Monarchy under King David"  and that the story of the fall of the walls of Jericho was not true, only to be proven wrong later.   They never learn and this is just one more example of scientists in futility trying to contradict the Bible and they will be proven wrong as well.  

kwikphilly

kwikphilly

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,178 posts

Blessings Everyone!

Didn't we just go through all this "camel nonsense' in a recently posted thread?I know I commented about domesticating & training horses & other species because that is my profession & I have had the opportunity to work with camels,,,,,,,,,,,they definitely do not have to be bred into domesticity to be trained & handled,Glory to God!hogwash speculation

With love-in Christ,Kwik

anthonyjmcgirr

anthonyjmcgirr

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Yeah I don't understand why just because someone puts out a study that obviously has bias and contradicts the bible, the study is always true.  Because a professor says A, A is automatically true?  He has NO way of knowing exactly when camels were domesticated.  And if it's in the bible that they had camels, written by Moses, then they have camels.  Right there you have a written historical account and that should trump a modern study. 

coheir

coheir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Blessings Everyone!

Didn't we just go through all this "camel nonsense' in a recently posted thread?I know I commented about domesticating & training horses & other species because that is my profession & I have had the opportunity to work with camels,,,,,,,,,,,they definitely do not have to be bred into domesticity to be trained & handled,Glory to God!hogwash speculation

With love-in Christ,Kwik

yes it is under "a mistake in the bible" in Controversal

shodan

shodan

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Remember that 'scholars' have also said King David...Moses... Abraham....did not exist. That's why it was a big deal when they recently found an inscription about King David.  Many doubted Abraham but the Ebla tablets provided evidence of historicity of names etc.

There was a famous OT scholar by the name of Marvin Noth who would only admit to the accuracy of the Bible re: Moses with respect to the fact that Moses died. Another scholar quipped that that presupposed that he lived.

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network