christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So what are we to make of this new Pope?

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

The world is completely enamored with Francis, which ought to be a clue. The media who loves to take pot shots at anything even remotely associated with Jesus Christ is in love with this guy. Granted the name Jesus rarely comes up. It "the Church" this and "Catholic" that. And strangely it was President Obama who mentioned Jesus and the Gospel in tonight's 60 Minutes interview.

Aside from brilliant Roman Catholic Imperial strategy (doing damage control in the face of financial and sexual scandals that would not go away) we are seeing promotional press about this guy as if he were Pope Gandhi / Mahatma Francis. And again, it is the institutions that he is impressing most that has me (at least) concerned. Is this a forerunner (false prophet) of the antichrist (false messiah)?

Tired old expressions, I know. Over used. Misused. And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be.

Reminding ourselves in the midst of the love fests that surround this guy, Roman Catholicism hijacked Christianity and nearly processed it out of existence turning the Roman Empire into a Church with Jesus' name on it.

So are any of you buying into this campaign?

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,129 posts

nope, I've read "Windswept House"...

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
it looks like he has got some popularity by acting frugal with his own expenses, living modestly.

It was posted " And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be."

Where do you find "all the biblical warnings" not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible? Do you reject the spiritual gift of teaching?

Now take the words that you just posted, are you quoting the Bible when you say them? If not, and people follow your admonitions, are they going outside the Bible?

Edited by Atwood, 13 April 2014 - 08:33 PM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,129 posts

I'm assuming you are writing to John.....

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

I pretty much ignore him.

MorningGlory

MorningGlory

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,548 posts

Not I; I don't trust any Pope nor do I regard any of them as 'God's representative"on earth.  Jesus held that position. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

I pretty much ignore him.

Same here, but not always.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts

Not I; I don't trust any Pope nor do I regard any of them as 'God's representative"on earth.  Jesus held that position. 

True.

One thing about Catholicism that really worries me (well, there's more than one actually, but I don't want to digress) is that the Bible says that we should call nobody 'father' other than God.

Not only is the Pope called father but so are all Catholic priests. That's just wrong!

bopeep1909

bopeep1909

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,768 posts

True.

One thing about Catholicism that really worries me (well, there's more than one actually, but I don't want to digress) is that the Bible says that we should call nobody 'father' other than God.

Not only is the Pope called father but so are all Catholic priests. That's just wrong!

That is an issue for the Catholics.God knows.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

it looks like he has got some popularity by acting frugal with his own expenses, living modestly.

It was posted " And completely misunderstood because despite all the biblical warnings not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible, people (even otherwise scholarly people) have gone outside the scriptures and created or bought into smart sounding interpretations... but as wrong as wrong could be."

Where do you find "all the biblical warnings" not to go outside the Bible to interpret the Bible? Do you reject the spiritual gift of teaching?

Now take the words that you just posted, are you quoting the Bible when you say them? If not, and people follow your admonitions, are they going outside the Bible?

2 Peter 1:20-21 (KJV)
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

The Law

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV)
2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

Deuteronomy 12:32 (KJV)
32 What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

The Writings

Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)
5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

The Prophets

Revelation 22:18-19 (KJV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Ecclesiastes 3:14 (KJV)
14 I know that, whatsoever God doeth, it shall be for ever: nothing can be put to it, nor any thing taken from it: and God doeth it, that men should fear before him.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (KJV)
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

1 John 4:1 (KJV)
1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 (KJV)
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

You test all things by the scriptures not the scriptures by all things. For therein lies the authority*.

You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside.

The Holy Spirit who wrote the Bible (2 Peter 1:20-21) leads us to all truth (John 16:13). But you cannot know it even is actually the Holy Spirit without the Bible (Acts 17:11 / 1 John 4:1).

* Psalm 138:2 (KJV)
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

John 17:17 (KJV)
17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Guest_DRS81_*

Guest_DRS81_*
  • Guests

Catholics will see their judgment, need not worry.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,363 posts

Catholics will see their judgment, need not worry.

Everyone will. Those who know Jesus will be spared. Those who dont know Jesus are in a very bad way.

Taker

Taker

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

The new pope said, "all religions are true in the hearts and the minds of those who practice them." (that quote might not be word for word). This guy is basically saying that all religion is imaginary. If you say that all religions are true then what do we make of religions that contradict one another?

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,674 posts

The new pope said, "all religions are true in the hearts and the minds of those who practice them." (that quote might not be word for word). This guy is basically saying that all religion is imaginary. If you say that all religions are true then what do we make of religions that contradict one another?

The second half of your quoted statement states "in the minds of those who practice them".  That would indicate that for those who practice these religions, they believe in their religion, even if they are false religions. 

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,674 posts

Please keep in mind that Worthy neither supports RCC teaching, nor does it allow RCC bashing.  Thanks!

Atwood

Atwood

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
JohnDB quoted a of very good scripture passages, though the King James translators were "outside scripture," writing in English, a language not in the actual Bible. Then John says this:
"You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside."

John, thanks for the great scripture, but I did not see any statement about "interpreting from outside." Now if we obey your rule of interpretation, "Do not intepret from outside," since that statement is not a Bible quote, we would be interpreting from outside; for you yourself are an outside-the-scripture. The interpreter is by nature outside. Do you deny the spiritual gift of teaching?

Where does scripture say "interpret from outside"? The word private does not mean "outside." I take it to mean that one does not interpret scripture out of context. Of course one important principle of interpretation is "analogy of the faith," God does not contradict Himself, and using scripture to interpret scripture is an important principle, which in no way negates considering historical context.

Edited by Atwood, 15 April 2014 - 09:08 AM.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,129 posts

https://archive.org/...ge/n12/mode/1up

Everyone should read at least the first 50 pages of this book......   it will answer a lot of questions of things happening today.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Put another way, religion is an incurable madness of humanity and it gets in the way of truth and an actual relationship with our Creator.

This is why religion (no matter what brand) is so appealing to humanity.

The Way The Truth And The Life are alien to mankind and require us to commit to the relationship all that we hold dear (our work as priests of God and our suffering taking up our crosses and following Jesus).

Most would rather be worldly, play a religious game, make up rules as they go along, (ignore those who contradict them or make them uncomfortable in their false views) and attempt (but fail see Matthew 7:21-27) to turn even the Way of Christ into a mere exit strategy (an eternal fire insurance policy).

You want to make absolutely certain you are saved?

Study the Bible like you never have before and allow it (under the tutelage of the Author the Holy Spirit) to teach you rather than mere mortal men.

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Mark 7:7-13 (KJV)
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Psalm 138:2 (KJV)
2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

1 John 2:1-6 (KJV)
1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

JohnDB

JohnDB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

JohnDB quoted a of very good scripture passages, though the King James translators were "outside scripture," writing in English, a language not in the actual Bible. Then John says this:
"You add to or take away from scripture when you interpret from outside."

John, thanks for the great scripture, but I did not see any statement about "interpreting from outside." Now if we obey your rule of interpretation, "Do not intepret from outside," since that statement is not a Bible quote, we would be interpreting from outside; for you yourself are an outside-the-scripture. The interpreter is by nature outside. Do you deny the spiritual gift of teaching?

Where does scripture say "interpret from outside"? The word private does not mean "outside." I take it to mean that one does not interpret scripture out of context. Of course one important principle of interpretation is "analogy of the faith," God does not contradict Himself, and using scripture to interpret scripture is an important principle, which in no way negates considering historical context.

Thought I answered this about not going outside scripture to interpret scripture... apparently not, my bad.

Acts 17:11 (KJV)
11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Otherwise you end up with baseless "truth" which is no truth at all. And traditions of (you name it) which are facades of the traditions of men (i.e. Church tradition, denominational tradition, cultic traditions, catechisms, papal decrees, papal bulls, statements of faith, so-called apostles creeds**... on and on they are all only the traditions of men).

** "I believe in God the Father creator of Heaven and Earth..." wrong! God the Word is the lone creator in the beginning (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:13-16, Isaiah 44:24 "alone / by myself") This is how the Bible could truly say Jesus is the ONLY BEGOTTEN of the Father (John 1:14 / Hebrews 10:5 / Hebrews 1:5) and the rest of the "son / sons of God" verses throughout scripture refer to sons / sons of God THE WORD.

Mark 7:7-13 (KJV)
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Nullifying the Word of God.

Psalm 138:2 (KJV)

Why would anyone want to interpret truth / scripture through any other means than scripture?

Guest_Teddyboy_*

Guest_Teddyboy_*
  • Guests

All I can say about him the POPE is as a catholic ,I'm on my way out . Looking for a new chruch. :confused:

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network