christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Christians - politics and current affairs

* * * * * 1 votes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

Should Christians be political, should they take an interest in politics?

Yes, we should I believe. We are told not to be part of this World, but like it or not, we are stuck in it for the time being. God is given us signs that are telling us that the End Times are approaching and we would be wise to look out for them. What is happening in the World is a fight between good and evil. Every time a politician speaks,a gun is fired or a new law is passed - they are all reflections of what is going on. Besides, us Christians have a right to vote too.

I may be British but I take a strong interest in U.S.politics as you can probably tell by the number of threads I start in the U.S. news section.

Why? Because as the spearhead of the Free World, what happens to you, happens to me! Your corruption is our corruption and our corruption is yours.

I also take a strong interest in Israeli politics because Israel should be the focus for all Christians.

So switch on the News and don't hide away. There are many people to saved yet, but we must know our enemy. If we close our eyes to what is happening in the World then we may stumble.

Taker

Taker

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

When it comes to politics, there are essentially 2 good ways to deal with it.

1. Don't watch the news or get involved: I recommend this course of action for most people. The news tries its best to present miss-leading information as well as stir up emotions (such as fear).

2. Be informed and be involved: If you can think of a way to improve things then do so.

When we look at this from a Christian perspective, you'll notice that neither Jesus, nor Peter, nor John, nor Paul etc, were all that concerned about politics. They were much more concerned with salvation and personal growth. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what laws say, if a man is not saved he is still corrupt. If Christians are to be concerned about politics then we are to be 10-times more concerned about salvation.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,106 posts
It has become almost impossible to find a candidate that I could support. Just about all have good ideas, but they still are supporting other ideas I completely reject.

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

When it comes to politics, there are essentially 2 good ways to deal with it.

1. Don't watch the news or get involved: I recommend this course of action for most people. The news tries its best to present miss-leading information as well as stir up emotions (such as fear).

2. Be informed and be involved: If you can think of a way to improve things then do so.

When we look at this from a Christian perspective, you'll notice that neither Jesus, nor Peter, nor John, nor Paul etc, were all that concerned about politics. They were much more concerned with salvation and personal growth. When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter what laws say, if a man is not saved he is still corrupt. If Christians are to be concerned about politics then we are to be 10-times more concerned about salvation.

When I said 'watch the news', that was metaphorical. There are other sources of information if you know where to find them.

The approach I take is to be informed of politics and current affairs in order to warn others, especially other Christians.

Taker

Taker

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

It has become almost impossible to find a candidate that I could support. Just about all have good ideas, but they still are supporting other ideas I completely reject.

What are your views on Ron Paul?

I don't want to start a debate or get off-topic, so I won't respond to your response to this question. I'm just curious.

To me, Ron Paul seems like the only hope America has left. 

OakWood

OakWood

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,462 posts

I don't want to start a debate or get off-topic, so I won't respond to your response to this question. I'm just curious.

I follow U.S. politics but I don't know a great deal about Ron Paul, but I have heard of him.

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

Well, we should be involved in politics in the US....    we don't have a king, and it is up to "We the People" to elect people to fulfill the duties set forth by the Constitution (Which is the ruling power in the US)      Well it's supposed to be anyway.

19Duggarfan

19Duggarfan

Veteran Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Yes I think we should be involved in politics.

Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

Proverbs 14:34

In all honestly the USA and our allies have been going down the road of willful sin.  And if we don't get involved in politics we will be saying the same thing the Apostle did:  Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than man.  Acts 5:29

We are commanded to summit ourselves to those who rule over us 13:1-7.  We are commanded to prayer for those in authority, I Timothy 2:1-2; why not follow politics and try and change what we can with our votes.

Oakwood i am definitely with you about Israel, more concern about that nation than my own.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,106 posts

Ron Paul is kin to an isolationist.  His foreign policy is to not get involved, including with Israel.  Not my cup of tea for this reason.  I do like a lot of his other ideas, but I don't feel he is a leader.

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

with the exception of Israel, I agree with isolationism. We need to get our noses out of everyones businesses. If its not a direct threat to us, we shouldn't be there, period. I think we should support Israel 100% for obvious reasons, but as for everything else? were not the global police force. We should go back to how we were before WW2-stay home and mind our own business.

OneLight

OneLight

Royal Member

• Servant
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,106 posts

There is far more to being involved with other nations besides being the global police.  That is such a small part that has been magnified by the national pride.

ayin jade

ayin jade

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,473 posts

Ron Paul is kin to an isolationist.  His foreign policy is to not get involved, including with Israel.  Not my cup of tea for this reason.  I do like a lot of his other ideas, but I don't feel he is a leader.

He also stated something to the effect of making nice with iran, to be their friends. Despite how iran is treating the us and israel.

Marnie

Marnie

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,438 posts

Of course we should be involved in politics, at least as long as we are able to.  The best way to show an unbelieving nation a Christian alternative is to present one in the form of a candidate or in working to influence party platforms.  It's especially important to be involved in local politics, where you can really make a difference.  

rjp34652

rjp34652

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Yes, we should I believe. We are told not to be part of this World, but like it or not, we are stuck in it for the time being. God is given us signs that are telling us that the End Times are approaching and we would be wise to look out for them. What is happening in the World is a fight between good and evil. Every time a politician speaks,a gun is fired or a new law is passed - they are all reflections of what is going on. Besides, us Christians have a right to vote too.

I may be British but I take a strong interest in U.S.politics as you can probably tell by the number of threads I start in the U.S. news section.

Why? Because as the spearhead of the Free World, what happens to you, happens to me! Your corruption is our corruption and our corruption is yours.

I also take a strong interest in Israeli politics because Israel should be the focus for all Christians.

So switch on the News and don't hide away. There are many people to saved yet, but we must know our enemy. If we close our eyes to what is happening in the World then we may stumble.

Adult Christians, who are more concerned about maintaining the status quo than affecting real change, often resort to Romans 13:1 to justify being in league with political devils of the day.   They seem to think that St. Paul endorsed every sort of political aberration and debauchery from gays to gas chambers.   They conveniently forget that St. Paul and company were the standard bearers for civil disobedience.

Stand up for Jesus - as they did - and you can expect beatings, imprisonment and execution - as they did.   Violent 'official' reaction to the promulgation of the gospel can be expected.  WILL BE EXPECTED.  The god of this world will not yield to apathy and will oppose every effort against wickedness.

The Book of Romans does not state that a Christian MUST endorse and obey wickedness in government.   It states that in opposing the works of satan, the world WILL react with civil punishments, imprisonment and even in some cases execution.    Romans 13:1 states in brutal terms what may be expected by those who stand up for Jesus.   Corrupt worldly authority WILL oppose Christ - and OUGHT to be itself opposed at every point.

There would be no church today if St. Paul followed the attitude of modern American Christians.   In fact, there is much evidence to suggest that the church which survives may not survive much longer - mostly because of apathetic endorsement of Romans 13:1.

I call it the couch potato verse.   Sit on your ..... Roman verse ..... and watch everything our forebears built and suffered to preserve go right down the toilet.  In the end, pages of that book will be used as toilet paper to cleanse the orifice from which the most wicked of crimes emerged.......apathy.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft... 

Tolken

Tolken

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

the_Patriot2014 - We should go back to how we were before WW2-stay home and mind our own business.

For the most part I would agree, though I believe in a "Just War" approach with allies under specific circumstance. The notion that we can effect change to a country through force demonstrates a clear lack of historical and cultural context by our "leaders". The idea that we are the "global police" is wrongheaded and proven to be foolish in the long run.

Marnie - It's especially important to be involved in local politics, where you can really make a difference. 

It would seem to me that in the present circumstance the only effect we can have is on a local level. National politics are fueled by corporate and wealth interests, with the recent SCOTUS decisions only promoting further money driven politics. 

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

I think there are only 2 reasons to go to war-to remove a threat, or to colonize. The idea of going in, and "eliminating" the threat and then rebuilding the country under the guise of "building democracy" is wrong. IF the country provides a threat to the US or an allie, we should go in, demolish the threat with whatever force necessary, and then pull out and let them pick up the pieces. If we stay then we need to eliminate their government and make them a part of the US and submit to our rules. For the most part, most of the wars weve been in, such as Iraq and Afghanistan-I think we had legitimate reasons for going there-but we should have been out a long time ago. We had no business trying to police them, to change their government etc. 

other one

other one

Royal Member

• Royal Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,807 posts

And if their government is the problem????

Worse than that what if their so called religion is the core problem?

the_patriot2014

the_patriot2014

Royal Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

then eliminate the government/major religious leaders and let them pick up the pieces. In many cases the governments/major religion rules the rest of the people with a iron fist and if the major threat is removed theyll rebuild the government the way they want. Worse case scenario it creates a massive power vaccuum with several groups fighting for power and it will be years before they can again be a threat to the US. It would also be a nice warning against others thinking of becoming a threat-the knowledge that America is actually in the war to win, not play pansy political games.

Love is alive

Love is alive

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

While i do believe that it is true that we should stay informed of the "true" news. I also believe that it is the intention of the enemy to overwhelm us with worldly happenings and misinformation. Therefore, I believe that we would do well to make better use of our time by doing things that further the gospel and the kingdom of God rather than be distracted by worldly news.

Enoc

Enoc

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Yes, to the best of ones ability. Its very hard to get good information, period. With out good info, how can you make an informed decision.

Politicians tend to pander to the ignorant/uninformed which is the majority of the voting populace. 

The most you can do is pick the lesser of two evils.

Ron Paul...IMO is stuck in time, unsophisticated and lacks depth of thought. 

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2014 part of the Worthy Network