christian forums

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Forums

Welcome to Worthy Christian Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Examining Ourselves

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Mariahwmfc

Mariahwmfc
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Spiritual Growth, Bible, Reading, Writing, Poetry, Hiking, and Nature

I think it all goes back to our purpose in this life. We are called to glorify God in everything we do wherever we are. So, I suppose that examining ourselves that way is to ask ourselves this question whenever we do or about to do something: am I glorifying my Lord and Savior in this? or does it make others question, "Look here, is that the Christian?" ? That's what learned with time throughout my life. I live in an Islamic country and I am supposed to dress in a certain way that is not very different from Muslim girls (except for the veil of course). So, I when I dress up, I dress up that I may not be a source of lust or temptation to them... and so that I may not force them to say bad things about my Lord and Savior, because afterall, I am called after His name: a Christian.

• Guests

I have told this story in chat upon a few occasions, maybe it fits here, maybe it doesn't, but here goes:

I used to struggle, had doubts of my own salvation for years. I would see the tension between verses that would imply "by this we know we have been saved" and those that warn us to examine ourselves. Particularly to me: 

21“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. 22“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ 23“And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

was disturbing. After all, I have not been prophesying and casting out demons and performing miracles, but I had been guilty of gross sin, so I seemed even worse off to myself. I wanted to repent, I prayed for help, I tried, but Romans 7 seemed to be my life.

It was very discouraging. What baffled me is that I know God does not want me to sin. I know we are promised the ability to resist. I know that God answers prayers done in accordance to his will, so if I have the ability to resist, and he answers prayer according to His will, and His will is that I not sin, and that is what I pray for, how is it possible, that I go on sinning?

One day, as I was driving to work, I was praying to the Lord, and expressing my discontent and doubts about this topic, how that I was confused as to whose part it was to fix me. Am I supposed to whip up repentence out of sheer determination and self control, or am I supposed to let God do a work in me. I knew that I did not have in in me to repent on my own, I was very familiar with my own sin nature. Somehow though, it seemed like God was not doing His part, where was His sanctifyong work in my life, after decades as a believer?

I sat in silence in the car, I think even with my own thoughts suspended for a while. Then I said:

"God, even if you tell me directly in no uncertain terms, that you are sending me to Hell, yet will I still worship you, love you, and try, and tell others about you, just because you are God and this is right."

At that point, it dawned on me, that that attitude was not one of human nature, but one of submission to the sovereignty of God. No pride, no illusion of being able to earn salvation through effort, but in it evidence of God working in my heart and depending upon Him, because I am entirely incapable of accomplishing my own salvation. In that moment, I understood Gods grace and sovereignty in a way that went beyond intellectual theory. I believed God's Spirit was indeed within me, in spite of my failed performances, and doubt of my salvation has not been an issues since, and that is true for perhaps 16 years now.

I still fail, but I also realize, that my faith is intact, I persevere, never doubting God, either His existence, His power, His presence or His love. They are all very real to me, and I depend upon and trust Him. He will not abandon me nor fail to finish what he has begun.

By the way, this seems like an unusual topic to insert into an area of the forums, intended for 'undecideds' - seems pretty believer specific to me.

Hall7

Hall7

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, the Holy Spirit, enjoying the outdoors in snow, water, and mountain peaks...

Amen Omegaman.

Teyla

Teyla
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:The world and all which lies therein.

First of all, what it means to examine ourselves it to make a comparison. In this instance, Paul is advising us to think critically about ourselves and compare what we observe (about ourselves ) to what is holy, just and right: Jesus. This is how we examine ourselves. The goal in mind should indeed go beyond merely accepting Christ and doing what is decreed in his word. These are necessary of course and perhaps most important, but self-examination is a journey that begins first by getting to know the one we want to make a comparison to. We can know God in a sense by reading his word, going to church and doing the like, but what is sincerity if we live and die for a King who is only words in a book and laws on a stone? Consider Matt. 7:21-23:

"Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them, ‘I never knew you."

The test is all about commitment. We commit to the challenge of reflecting God's flawless ways despite our nature to fail time and time again. And when we fail to hit the mark, we fail. Period. But think about how much we fail everyday, and the constant slack God gives us. Comparing ourselves to Jesus - our perfect, law making rule-model - we are all failures. But the neat thing about being saved is the promise God gave to have grace. It's an endless struggle... or rather, it's a struggle to the end, but the refinement is so far beyond worth it, not to mention what it takes to reach that point; the getting closer to God, spiritually.  

Giving up puts that whole relationship in jeopardy, just like a fish will likely glut or starve if we give up trying to feed it the right 'pinch' of food.

I think every relationship requires commitment and what motivates our commitment? Why, nothing but love you see. I will conclude my short, reference lacking opinion here to agree with Donibm, in that it all finds it's roots in love. Pretty much the sum of our lives hedges on what we love ( and don't love ).

By the way, Donibm, I am fond of your writing. You have a special way of extracting your thoughts and expressing them explicitly. I would say "well executed" but it seems to simply come natural to you (: We should talk sometime... anytime, even if distant from this time, at least some time (?)

Teyla

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts
  • Interests:What ever my Father places in my heart at the start of new mercies each morning... in effort to unbind my heart from self...

And what does someone do who does not pass the test? If answers to the spiritual questions are affirmative, but something else is very wrong, where do you turn? If you've accepted Christ and believe all the right things, yet you walk in darkness (not with a major sin problem maybe) without the Spirit, what can you do ?

First quite looking for subjective proof of Him and objectively enter into His Word
by knowing that your in the same darkness as those who will not enter into the light
of His Word ...
James 2:19-20
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
KJV

We know we are His by the power of obedience that comes into us and a new heart that leaves the
old importance's behind by embracing the promise of the morrow in glorifying Jesus with that life...
Love, Steven

gray wolf

gray wolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts

Oy veh!

enoob57

enoob57

Royal Member

• Soapbox - Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,653 posts
  • Interests:What ever my Father places in my heart at the start of new mercies each morning... in effort to unbind my heart from self...
I certainly pray not!!! Love, Steven

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Worthy Christian Forums - Christian Message Boards - 1999-2015 part of the Worthy Network